powercommander questions

A pc is not needed for anything unless you use a tuner that does not have the ability to flash...

I mean power commander has a map table for if you only have yoshi ship on's and stock air filter, thats why I wondered.....

is a power commander needed if yoshi slip ons are added and nothing else?

Yes it is. I have seen it probably seen it more times than I can count on my dyno. If you put the bike on a dyno right now, you will find that the A/F is off across the entire map, and you will also see that your bike is lean, especially on the bottom. That is a fact . . .:rulez:

thanks. I wondered. I have a power commander and was thinking of selling it, but its staying for now.

so for a stock bike with yoshi slip ons is all a 312-005 map on a pc III usb is what is needed, or thats what I see.

so for a stock bike with yoshi slip ons is all a 312-005 map on a pc III usb is what is needed, or thats what I see.

That is the correct map; the absolute best map would be a custom map, but the 312-005 is what you would want to use if you cannot - or do not want to - get to a dyno . . .

I agree a PC will make a stock bike run so much better with the right map put in.Not totally needed with slip ons but I would do it to give the bike a better power curve and better economy.

I agree a PC will make a stock bike run so much better with the right map put in.Not totally needed with slip ons but I would do it to give the bike a better power curve and better economy.

The reason it will run so much better with the PC, is because the A/F will be closer to being correct - all the way across the entire map. Without the PC, or a good tune with ECU editor, Bazzazz, whatever - (choose your poison) the A/F is NOT right. For people who do not care how their bike runs - for people who do not care that their bike is not running its best - your are right, it is not totally needed.

Would it surprise you to know that a stock bike with a stock exhaust system and stock air cleaner can be mapped better than how it comes from the factory? I had a 2005 with over 20,000 miles on it in my shop last month. The customer wanted a powercommander, and he wanted it custom mapped. Guess what? When I targeted the proper A/F for a Busa, and went through all the throttle positions and rpms, I ended up with values in almost very single powercommander cell, indicating that the stock ECU map was not properly targeting the A/F across the board - again, this was a completely stock bike!

In fact, prior to the custom map, this stock, tired old Bus made 160 rwhp and 98 ft-lbs of torque SAE. After my custom tune, it made 168 rwhp, and 104 ft-lbs of torque SAE. It had better throttle response and more midrange, and more power everywhere - than before. The customer was thrilled, and after a good ride, told me I had given him back a completely different bike. One thing is for sure - a custom map from a reputable tuner is the best map you can get for your bike.

So. with all due respect, I guess everyone has to decide for themselves what is "necessary". I just know from experience that it ain't necessarily "right".:laugh:

for now I will keep the pc and leave the 312-005 tune in it till I can get it on a dyno and custom map it. at least its better than having nothing as it has had (previous owner) He said it would shoot flames out exhaust, first thing I thought was i bet it has no pc and asked him. As I thought it didnt.

The reason it will run so much better with the PC, is because the A/F will be closer to being correct - all the way across the entire map. Without the PC, or a good tune with ECU editor, Bazzazz, whatever - (choose your poison) the A/F is NOT right. For people who do not care how their bike runs - for people who do not care that their bike is not running its best - your are right, it is not totally needed.

Would it surprise you to know that a stock bike with a stock exhaust system and stock air cleaner can be mapped better than how it comes from the factory? I had a 2005 with over 20,000 miles on it in my shop last month. The customer wanted a powercommander, and he wanted it custom mapped. Guess what? When I targeted the proper A/F for a Busa, and went through all the throttle positions and rpms, I ended up with values in almost very single powercommander cell, indicating that the stock ECU map was not properly targeting the A/F across the board - again, this was a completely stock bike!

In fact, prior to the custom map, this stock, tired old Bus made 160 rwhp and 98 ft-lbs of torque SAE. After my custom tune, it made 168 rwhp, and 104 ft-lbs of torque SAE. It had better throttle response and more midrange, and more power everywhere - than before. The customer was thrilled, and after a good ride, told me I had given him back a completely different bike. One thing is for sure - a custom map from a reputable tuner is the best map you can get for your bike.

So. with all due respect, I guess everyone has to decide for themselves what is "necessary". I just know from experience that it ain't necessarily "right".:laugh:
Well said!!! :thumbsup:

My bike ran so much better with a PC and dyno tune MAP.I have a pipe now, airbox mod,BMC filter and the pairing valves blocked and it runs totally better.I agree with the a/f ratio being spot on over factory with a good tune.I would use the PC and have it dyno tuned.

it only makes sense, you free up the flow of the motor by free flowing exhaust, it needs more fuel etc. and different settings than factory has.

Back