Power versus torque

Yes, Beemer pushes more power above 10.5k rpm.

However, under 10.5k rpm, which is a lot more practical and important for 90% of riders, Honda wins in both power and torque. Even on the track, Honda's power will be more manageable above 10.5k rpm, so BMW wins on the straight only. Of course, assuming other factors like suspension/brakes are similar.

145 hp is pathetic for a 1000cc bike in 2014. there are a lot of straights at the track so saying straights only isn't really saying much.

I don't know anyone who rides a BMW without riding it hard and goin to redline every single time they ride it and with 15 more hp to the wheels it will walk the Honda.

99% of the people riding bikes ride them on the street NOT the track where the road is mostly straight so it really doesn't matter what is more manageable around a corner. the BMW will simply out perform it on the street. torque gets u going HP keeps u going.

seen hundreds of street races with bikes and have never seen any Honda beat a BMW. sure its a straight race but most all street riding is straight riding. at least when comparing one bike against another in a street race. again, these are STREET bikes NOT track bikes.

these are purpose built street bikes that maybe 1% convert to track only bikes so considering its being sold as a street bike what it does on the street is what really matters not what it can do on the race track.

Yes, Beemer pushes more power above 10.5k rpm.

However, under 10.5k rpm, which is a lot more practical and important for 90% of riders, Honda wins in both power and torque. Even on the track, Honda's power will be more manageable above 10.5k rpm, so BMW wins on the straight only. Of course, assuming other factors like suspension/brakes are similar.

All valid points, but while just riding (not racing), I would think going close to a red line does not happen often, and in such circumstances Honda has more power/torque, and the curve looks a bit smoother, too. As you pointed out, very small percentage does track days, and probably very small percentage races (street or track).

Just saying, but on the street where the Busa shines, I very seldom take mine over 6,000 RPM. Rolling on in 6th gear from 35 mph, there is more than enough torque to overtake and if I don't watch the speedo and the popo, 100 mph comes pretty fast.

Back