Potential new 3rd gen owner, a few weird questions...

Horgh

Registered
Hey all,

I'm strongly considering getting a 3rd gen Busa, but I have a couple of questions. They may seem weird, but bear with me as where I live it's basically impossible to take a new Busa out for a test ride. I currently have a fun backroads carving bike (Speed Triple), but I'm looking for something that can eat up highway miles with plenty of grunt and good wind stability, so I can explore things farther away from my house and not feel as fatigued. We have a lot more straight roads than curves down here unfortunately, and everything is a highway's ride away.

1. It looks like the passenger footpegs and their brackets can be removed, but who makes exhaust hangers? Looks like R&G may be releasing a set, but there is no ETA. Does anyone else make them? I'd be planning to do a full aftermarket exhaust so I only need the right side, but I'm having trouble finding any products.

2. How are the vibrations on the 3rd gen? I've seen various YouTube reviewers claim the bike is butter smooth, but Chaseontwowheels said it vibrated quite a lot. I'm a bit sensitive to foot and hand vibrations so I'm looking for smooth.

3. How well does the bike track and maintain stability when you're on cruise control and take your hands off of the bars to sit back? I have some shoulder/neck issues and it helps me a lot if I can stretch those muscles out without having to pull over every 15 minutes.

Bonus questions:

4. Anyone previously or currently own a Ninja 1000SX? For general sport touring, since you're here, why do you prefer the Busa? I'm slightly torn between the two.

5. I would probably go with a Yoshi or Akra full exhaust. For tuning, though, I was planning to send my ECU to 2 Wheel DynoWorks, as I know that shop in person and trust their tunes. Any of you have a 3rd gen ECU tuned by them?

Thank you all in advance.

full brock’s or voodoo don’t need hangers. my gen 3 hasn’t vibrated at all over 5k miles and 3 new tires. the bike is very calm on cc and if you have some weight you’ll be fine. it’s heavier than your triple by a lot so it takes more to turn it with your body weight. busa is miles ahead of any naked bike for touring,, highway monster and couch.

i can only respond on question 4:

ive had a 1000SX for almost 3 years before buying a gen 2 busa, which ive got now a little over 8 months.

it was a major transition for me, i was needing more power, which the SX lacked mainly on top end.

i do more longer rides than the usual sunday breakfast run guys.

the gen 2 lacks in all the electronics side of things though, when the time is right i will definitely upgrade to the gen 3.

if your options are between the SX and the gen 3, id say gen 3 all the way.

full brock’s or voodoo don’t need hangers. my gen 3 hasn’t vibrated at all over 5k miles and 3 new tires. the bike is very calm on cc and if you have some weight you’ll be fine. it’s heavier than your triple by a lot so it takes more to turn it with your body weight. busa is miles ahead of any naked bike for touring,, highway monster and couch.

Thank you. Previously I had a VTX 1300 and a loaded KTM 1190 Adventure R, so I'm not new to heavy-ish bikes, but that added weight and stability is exactly what I'm looking for as far as highway miles are concerned. As for the exhaust, I was unfamiliar with Brocks until I started reading this forum but it seems they're a bit hit and miss as far as fitment and customer support goes. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm also not a huge fan of how they look to be honest. What is it about Brocks in your opinion that should make me reconsider?

This is also the first I'm hearing of VooDoo, I'll need to look into those.

i can only respond on question 4:

ive had a 1000SX for almost 3 years before buying a gen 2 busa, which ive got now a little over 8 months.

it was a major transition for me, i was needing more power, which the SX lacked mainly on top end.

i do more longer rides than the usual sunday breakfast run guys.

the gen 2 lacks in all the electronics side of things though, when the time is right i will definitely upgrade to the gen 3.

if your options are between the SX and the gen 3, id say gen 3 all the way.

Thank you to you as well. Interesting, you're the first person who said the SX is lacking in power. I'm not arguing, but do you live at high elevation or are you maybe a bigger rider? From my uneducated perspective the SX looks pretty "balanced" as far as bikes go, it just doesn't excite me and as silly as it sounds, I do not like Kawasaki green at all and that's the only color option for this year.

Thank you. Previously I had a VTX 1300 and a loaded KTM 1190 Adventure R, so I'm not new to heavy-ish bikes, but that added weight and stability is exactly what I'm looking for as far as highway miles are concerned. As for the exhaust, I was unfamiliar with Brocks until I started reading this forum but it seems they're a bit hit and miss as far as fitment and customer support goes. Maybe I'm wrong? I'm also not a huge fan of how they look to be honest. What is it about Brocks in your opinion that should make me reconsider?

This is also the first I'm hearing of VooDoo, I'll need to look into those.

Thank you to you as well. Interesting, you're the first person who said the SX is lacking in power. I'm not arguing, but do you live at high elevation or are you maybe a bigger rider? From my uneducated perspective the SX looks pretty "balanced" as far as bikes go, it just doesn't excite me and as silly as it sounds, I do not like Kawasaki green at all and that's the only color option for this year.
I live in South Africa, Cape Town to be exact.
Im just under 90kg's so i wouldnt fall in the bigger category (i hope LOL)
The SX has power no doubt, but it wasnt enough for me. The day i picked it up at the dealer i ran it off the clocks (just after i sold my CBR 600F)
So i got used to power quite quickly, too quickly i would say.
If you looking to commute, take the SX
If you want to have fun, take the gen 3 :thumbsup:

Welcome @Horgh.

I have some shoulder/neck issues

As the riding position is designed for a lying position you may want a bar riser solution, which is pretty commonly done. Some shave the seats but that may counter your comfort.

4. Anyone previously or currently own a Ninja 1000SX? For general sport touring, since you're here, why do you prefer the Busa? I'm slightly torn between the two.

The ZX-14R reportedly matches up very closely to the Busa. Was that a consideration?

How are the vibrations on the 3rd gen? I've seen various YouTube reviewers claim the bike is butter smooth, but Chaseontwowheels said it vibrated quite a lot. I'm a bit sensitive to foot and hand vibrations so I'm looking for smooth.

The engine rumbles a bit, relatively speaking for an I-4, but I feel like the hands and feet are isolated as they should be and it is felt primarily in the seat of the pants. You know, like that vibrating chair at the mall!

Welcome @Horgh.

As the riding position is designed for a lying position you may want a bar riser solution, which is pretty commonly done. Some shave the seats but that may counter your comfort.

The ZX-14R reportedly matches up very closely to the Busa. Was that a consideration?

The engine rumbles a bit, relatively speaking for an I-4, but I feel like the hands and feet are isolated as they should be and it is felt primarily in the seat of the pants. You know, like that vibrating chair at the mall!
Hi. I own a Gen 1 with a lot of work into the motor. Big turbo + NOS lowered 12 over arm. I would look into the Gen 2 ZX14 if I was going to just ride and not race that is the bike I would get. I will be 75 next year I have been riding for almost 60 years.

1. It looks like the passenger footpegs and their brackets can be removed, but who makes exhaust hangers? Looks like R&G may be releasing a set, but there is no ETA. Does anyone else make them? I'd be planning to do a full aftermarket exhaust so I only need the right side, but I'm having trouble finding any products.
Yes, DME racing

QUOTE="Horgh, post: 3453975, member: 67110"]
2. How are the vibrations on the 3rd gen? I've seen various YouTube reviewers claim the bike is butter smooth, but Chaseontwowheels said it vibrated quite a lot. I'm a bit sensitive to foot and hand vibrations so I'm looking for smooth.[/QUOTE]
No or minimal vibrations for me

3. How well does the bike track and maintain stability when you're on cruise control and take your hands off of the bars to sit back? I have some shoulder/neck issues and it helps me a lot if I can stretch those muscles out without having to pull over every 15 minutes.[/QUOTE]
I was plenty comfortable for 200 miles with cruise on

5. I would probably go with a Yoshi or Akra full exhaust. For tuning, though, I was planning to send my ECU to 2 Wheel DynoWorks, as I know that shop in person and trust their tunes. Any of you have a 3rd gen ECU tuned by them?

Thank you all in advance.
[/QUOTE]

I have a yoshi, Chris Moore did my tune

Back