Popping Out of 2nd gear???

Niko

Registered
Hi All

I have a 03 model with around 5500 miles on the clock, and have only started on the occasion to ride the bike hard.

I've noticed that when shifting from 1st to 2nd (using the clutch) at high revs when riding hard the bike will engage 2nd gear for a second or two, then pops out into neutral. At first I thought it was me missing the gear, but this seems to happen every time.

Is this a common prob? because this is the first time I've come across this on any of the bikes I've had.

could be a bent shift fork... This will cause the tranny not to shift it completely into second gear and then it pops out when lots of power is put into the tranny..
rock.gif

Maybe try shifting harder! I,f you just starting riding a little harder I don,t think the shift fork would be bent, but that could be a possiblity.???

Why is it that people explain away the clucky shift on a Hayabusa as "That's the way it is!".
You hear the same thing about other brands, too - and nobody fixed it - even the manufacturers.

Every time 2nd gear is missed, the 2nd gear shift fork gets bent a little more - ending up rounding the 2 gears that are trying to get engaged and a big repair bill ensues.

If it's popping out under full throttle at high rpm - it's too late and nothing will help except parts replacement.

I do make a Shift Star and Detent arm to fix the Suzuki shifting (it's true throughout most of the brands).

About 1/2 of AMA pros used them by the end of the year and they shift much harder during a race than street riding.

So - the solution is out there to the Busa shifting gork.

Just have to do it on a bike that's not messed up already -

Cheers!

Marc

Just got the bike back from the local Suzuki dealer after just over a week. Problem was fixed under warranty, had a manufacture defect on the dog cog which caused premature wear.
All happy now, problems gone.

Glad to hear that the bike's back together.

If you were in the States, you might get a "you abused it, sorry" response from a less motivated dealer!?

But!

Remember that the reason (the real reason, anyway) why 2nd gear rounded its dogs is that the rider missed 2nd gear often enough to bend the 2nd gear shift fork and then the fork doesn't push the gear over far enough and it skips even more - damaging fork and gears even more.

Compare the above real reason, to you having the only Busa that had a "bad 2nd gear" manufacturing quirk ... possible - but very unlikely - they are heat treated, powdered metal gears.
If one was bad, a whole batch of them would be bad........ and we'd hear about it.

That 2nd gear engagement problem is aggravated by poor Suzuki shift star design and relatively slow, stock shift drum rotation (which is supposed to complete the shift drum rotation after your foot moves the lever).

I did design a kit with a new shift STAR design (Sport Rider gsxr1000 project) for the Busa and other Suzuki's that is much quicker moving and lighter feeling, too - pretty much eliminates missed shifts..... in every gear and makes "in town" shifting really beyond nice.
About 1/2 of the AMA guys were using that shift star by the end of the year, last year.

Owners of other bikes that tend to have 2nd gear problems all pretty much have learned to fix the shifting before 2nd gear engagement gets "whacked"..... At least - after they fix the gearbox the first time or even luckier for them, if they fix the shifting before the gearbox gets damaged.......

So - if the bike doesn't miss shifts in the first place, it won't damage the transmission -

So fix the shift mechanism!

Cheers!

Marc
marc@factorypro.com

<!--EDIT|Marc Salvisberg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1076096561 -->

Back