PCIII maps

Revolution

revolution custom paint
Donating Member
Registered
my bike if definitely running a leeeetle rich from from what i've read in regards to carbone build up on the exhaust tip. here are my mods:

model year 2006
Micron 4 into 1
PCIII
Pair valve mod with block off plates
stock air filter

what i'd like to do is install my BMC "RACE" filter i have on the shelf, which would require map tuning. is it safe to plug into the PCIII with my comp and just take a look around in there? is it self explanatory? or would i need a degree in comp sciences to adjust the map and/or load a new one? which brings me to my next question, would anyone have a map for my set up with the BMC "race" filter installed?

i had the BMC race filter on and it would cough on initial acceleration [low rpm's] so i removed it and went back to stock.

as usual any help much appreciated, thanks.

first thing, exhaust tip is the last place to gauge engine running condition... means just about squat.. (and yes a fat motor will blacken the outlet, but so can a lean motor)

Poking around in map? go for it... always save a copy of the original just in case of "oops" is all pretty self explanatory..

Doubt air filter is going to affect A/F enough to require to much a drastic change and if you are a hair rich already? may be just fine huh? (Gen 2 bikes can compensate for this already, all hail closed loop)

The PCIII Map is really not rocket science.   The PCIII  interrupts the signal from the ECU to the injectors to spray fuel.  It then sends its own signal to the injectors . There is a table that correlates between rpm and throttle position.  Each cell entry contains a number. This is the percentage of fuel that is added or removed from the open time of the injector.  In the table below when the throttle is at 20% and the rpm is at 6000 no changes are made.  At 5750rpm 40% it adds 6% more fuel.  5000rpm 60% it supplies 2% less.    It uses a weighted scale for the numbers between.  30% @ 5250 rpm  would be exactly between the 20% and 40% blocks so it would average the two and add 4%. 35% would see it add 5%.

Now the hard part is telling what the a/f is (or even if it is basically lean or rich) and what TPS% and RPM is at when it is happening.  

It is not like a carburetor when changing the main affects everything across the full range. If you change the cell at 4000rpm 40% it will only affect that location and the locations directly surrounding it. (3750, 4000, 4250, 20%, 40%, 60%)  The further away from the 4000rp, 40% the less it affects it, but once it is outside of the 3750-4250 or 40%-60% (either range), it will not change the fueling.

Now none of the below is going to be even close to what you will get by data logging or time on the dyno but you can fix some things to make them closer to the desired settings or ridable until you make it to the dyno.

Hook up the laptop to the PCIII and pull a copy of the map. Be sure and save it because you may want to go back. While it is hooked up.. 9v battery connected, engine on but not running, take a look at the throttle percentage. Put a piece of tape on the grip and control housing it to make a few reference e marks.  Now shut everything down and remove the 9v adapter.  Fire up the bike and look at the laptop.  Bring the rpm up to a steady 5000 and then look at the tach. It may be off. The number you see on the laptop screen is what is going to count.

Back at idle. You will likely be about 1000-1250 rpm at 0% throttle.  Add 10 to the numbers in the cells as send the map to the PCIII you'll see an immediate change. Change them back to the previous number (likely 0) and it should change right back.
So now to try to tune it, we first have to identify where we want changes.  If you can feel a hesitation and the (correct rpm is at 2500 and the tps is at 5%) change the cells in that area. In your case with a better air filter, you should be leaner so add about 3 numbers to the existing cells there.

If while idling it smells rich, take a few numbers out of the 1000 -0% .

If you have a custom map for your bike and the tuner set it all up for the most power you might be complaining about fuel mileage.  Pull 6 or so out of the cruising range. You'll find the cruising range on a Busa will mainly be in the 2-5% TPS area.

Back