Paddock stand or lift?

Windtherapy

Registered
What are the pros and cons of paddock stands and lifts? Any brands/models you guys recommend? I’m looking for a simple lift to do oil changes and chain maintenance. Looking at these two at the moment.
D15C80B1-37B1-4A06-8167-05439EBF4CBA.jpeg

AF9F73A9-40E5-49F0-BA52-C668CB1F3A63.jpeg

Right now I have a cheap rear stand. The wheels camber in when I hoist the Busa. Around $60 USD online. But if I was doing it right, I'd have Pitbull's front and rear. Much sturdier. Last a bike's lifetime.

I've considered shop stands like the one in the pic but not as stable working platform as a Bursig or Skylift, both of which are more expensive options.

Any rear stand will facilitate oil changes, chain work. I'd recommend a dual-option front stand as your technical work progresses. Again, Pitbull is top-shelf imho

Right now I have a cheap rear stand. The wheels camber in when I hoist the Busa. Around $60 USD online. But if I was doing it right, I'd have Pitbull's front and rear. Much sturdier. Last a bike's lifetime.

I've considered shop stands like the one in the pic but not as stable working platform as a Bursig or Skylift, both of which are more expensive options.

Any rear stand will facilitate oil changes, chain work. I'd recommend a dual-option front stand as your technical work progresses. Again, Pitbull is top-shelf imho
Hi. I would have a Skylift or Bursiq lift but they do not work on my busa. They will work on yours. I use a floor jack like for cars and a K&L air lift table and front and rear paddock stands.

I live in northern Europe and would have to ship the pitbull stands cross atlantic. Trying to see if my two cheapest options are ’doable’.
If you have good flooring for your standing, any old thing will work. I often get kicked out of the garage and am forced to do oil changes, etc. in the dirt. I always count my blessings that the cheapo rear stand has large wheels to accommodate less than ideal floor surfaces. FYI

Europe ? No problem , same here.
Any online shop will sell you a decent set of ''normal'' stands which sit under or near the axles .. These will be fine for basic maintenance ..You may need a set of 'bobbins' that screw into the swing arm for the rear to lift on , depending on the type of stand.
A better option is to get a headstock stand for the front instead of the type that sits under the front axle/fork legs . This will raise the front and allow you access to the whole front end , brakes / wheel removal etc ..
Personally , I bit the bullet and got an Abba Skylift , expensive , but now i've used it , I wish I'd got it years ago .
Have a look here ..

I live in northern Europe and would have to ship the pitbull stands cross atlantic. Trying to see if my two cheapest options are ’doable’.
Where there is a will there is a way! This is the stand I made when I first got my Hayabusa. I worked at a boat company at the time so I could get a good deal on the SS tubing and fittings, tore apart on old inline skate for wheels and made the aluminum parts by hand. Used this for years until I bought my Pitbull stands. Still use it on my lawn tractor actually! Just happens to be the right size to hit the frame pins on it. I later made some aluminum gussets for the uprights just to stiffen it up a little.
DSCN0007.JPG

I would start with a Pit Bull forward handle rear stand because it is very safe to lift with and easy to use after you'e done it a few times. I would not recommend a rear handle stand for the Hayabusa. People use them and I have one but it's not the stand I would have wanted to depend on when I was first learning. If you go with a Pit Bull, look for the ones that are made specifically for the ZX-14 and Hayabusa. The shorter vertical tubes give you additional leverage at the begining of the lift when it is most difficult and they both clear the rear fender if you have that on. They won't lift as high but that's not a problem. The height is adjustable. Go with the lowest when you first use it. If you have a taller rear tire, you may need to raise it a quarter inch. Put a bolt with washer through the slot beneath the adjuster bolt to fill the gap and there is no way it can slip out of adjustment while the bike is lifted on it Not that I've ever heard that being a problem but I have an extra bolt with washer on both sides just incase.

A rear stand that is even easier than the forward handle Pit Bull is the Heindl Engineering swing arm pivot stand. The regular Abba (not the Skylift) would be even easier and just as safe. But if you can afford the skylift, by all means get that!

Later when you need it, get a Pit Bull front stand. They might still have the one with the converter bar so you can use it as a steerig pivot stand or a fork lift stand. I have the old one like Pit Bull made and it's great. I also have a Pit Bull steering pivot only front stand. They're all very reliable.

If you get a hydraulic lift, that will save your back but I'm sure you will still need stands to use on the lift platform when you remove wheels.

I've satisfied all my bike lifting needs with the Heindl swing arm piot stand, the forward handle Pit Bull and the Pit Bull Fork lift stand with steering pivot converter bar. Drop forks, work on rear suspension to just changing oil and those three got me through all with a little ingenuity.

Whatever stand you use, be careful about those super tight bolts. You can lever the bike over even on a stand or maybe the lever the stand out of locking position. Put books under the wheel....be careful about tthe angle you wrench at and increase force gradually. Don't be in too much of a hurry to consider what could go wrong.

Back