Old school vs New

I've seen video of a scooter rider getting the best of a sport bike on a tiny track with technical corners. In this case, those other bikes are light and they are quick enough for that track.

I've seen video of a scooter rider getting the best of a sport bike on a tiny track with technical corners. In this case, those other bikes are light and they are quick enough for that track.
There is no way that motorized bicycle would go by a 600 GSXR on that track unless those were 250s-which I suspect because even the dirtbikes were able to close the gap pretty quickly...

@Bumblebee The width of the rear tire is telling me those sport bikes are at least 600s and I would say probably 1000s. A narrow tire should produce some advantages in cornering and the sumibaks have some very narrow tires. The sprockets look pretty big too. With the proper gearing it might not take a lot of horsepower to make a bike that small accelerate up to lower speeds as well as a bigger bike. They don't need to go over 70 mph on that track. The sport bikes aren't getting close to their top speed. If they could, I think they would have stood a much better chance of winning. The sumibaks look like they were made for that exact kind of track. They're probably riding right at the limit of power, weight and maneuverability for that track. The sport bikes can't use their speed and they have an obvious disadvantage in handling.

@Bumblebee The width of the rear tire is telling me those sport bikes are at least 600s and I would say probably 1000s. A narrow tire should produce some advantages in cornering and the sumibaks have some very narrow tires. The sprockets look pretty big too. With the proper gearing it might not take a lot of horsepower to make a bike that small accelerate up to lower speeds as well as a bigger bike. They don't need to go over 70 mph on that track. The sport bikes aren't getting close to their top speed. If they could, I think they would have stood a much better chance of winning. The sumibaks look like they were made for that exact kind of track. They're probably riding right at the limit of power, weight and maneuverability for that track. The sport bikes can't use their speed and they have an obvious disadvantage in handling.
Maybe.......I'm still skeptical though....

A GSXR600 is a premiere sport bike and nothing to trifle with even on a rack such as that.

Yes @Bumblebee but the 600s are expected to perform well on tracks that are larger too. Looking at the handlebars on the sumibaks, I would think there are other aspects of their design that are perfectly suited to a small oval track where you only make lefthand turns. It does look like the sport bike riders are leaning about as far as humanly possible. It looks like they might have turned in and exited a lot wider allowing them more corner speed but I think that approach would have opened up a big hole for the sumibaks to pass. I'm not sure the extra speed would have been enough to compensate for the smaller diameter of keeping tight to the inside. Those sumibaks are accelerating as fast as the sport bikes at least at the speeds they are going.

Back