Ok...drum roll please. The moment you've all been waiting for. The New STTB

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Yup...The STTB is ready to roll. Took a bit of doing,but totally worth it...yer gonna love it.

Here it is...The Super-Touring-Turbo-Busa AKA STTB...

a.jpg

Huh huh...whatcha think...
dunno.gif
I know...it's it's...uhhmmm...
eye brow.gif

I get a feeling when I look at "The Black Bastid" now...is a kind of growing feeling,a sensation...yup,here it is
puke.gif

It's downright fugly.

b.jpg

c.jpg

It took some work too. Guy who sold me the top case and mounts said I was "Good to go"...
It would all work together and be "easy-peasy" you know "Plug N' Play"
Well,fug you buddy,plug n play my azz. Several issues made me work a bit harder than I figured.
With the extended swingarm and fatty tire there was no way to fit the bottom support bracket from each point. The tire is to far back,and the bike sits to low for clearance.

l.jpg

I was going to re-install the OEM plate/tag/fender which is supposed to hold the rear mount bracket on a stock Busa. The tail is to low, and even with my rear air-ride suspension adjusted to max height,there was no room to fit the fender. Thanks again thou @Big E for mailing that to me. It was supposed to make that 4th attachment point a breeze. Nope.

m.jpg

Also my way cool expensive LED plate/tag mount from RoaringToyz had to go bye-bye. They hang off the un-used exhaust hanger and look really sharp,but that's where a hardbag has to sit now.

k.jpg

So that was couple weeks ago and I was fairly happy with the results. Had to scrap those things...but it looked tidy and not bad.Just enuff clearance...good 2 go.

n.jpg

Mounting the hardware for the top case presented a few more challenges. Even thou "Mr.Plug n Play" said no worries,I had a feeling. The hardbags mount in 3 places now instead of 4. The 2 top mounts utilize the frankenstein bolt hole and the cargo net bolt hole on an OEM grab rail.

e.jpg

Well the new hardware for the top case requires removal of the grab rail,can't use it. Oh goodie. So I make the bag frame and the top case frame share the same front mounting point by over lapping them.Looks decent. The 2 are spaced out,away from the body work.

g.jpg

At the rear where the grab bar was attached there no way to over lap the 2 without welding something up possibly having to join the frames together which I dont want to do because I want the choice of bags or top case or both with 2 minute changes. So faced with this...

f.jpg

So I make a little bent,twisted bracket to mount both thru the same attachment point,get the clearance I need from the bodywork and have the bags line up perfectly with the lines of tail and bike.I come up with this...

h.jpg

So being somewhat happy with all that I had to pick a spot to mount my plate and really no location worked. The tag looked ugly (nevermind,I know the whole thing looks fugly) no matter where I put it. It blocked the brake light or looked out of place,blocked access to the trunk key...:banghead: whatever. So I chose this TEMP spot for now. It partially blocks the left turn sig but I seldom use turn indicators anyway.

p.jpg

You'll have to excuse the mess,we are being kicked out of this space (Nov.30th) which we enjoyed for 33 years so things are a little chaotic. I took a couple hours today to de-tach from the situ and my friends grief and just play with my toy.

So the idea is re-kindle a dream I had back in 2005 or 6,cant remem. I was to set off from my little island and go for a ride. I had set aside 8-10 weeks for the tour. Awesome and welcoming Org members insisted on visits in about 15-20 states (un sure really of the number). They told me to just show up,stay as long as I wanted,get there anytime,all I could eat,drink and be Mary
blonde.gif
...as I was not going to adhere to any kind of rigid schedule. Everyone was super about it. Anyways at the time I had a mint running 2000 Busa,a giant pocket full of cash and the time to ride/visit and explore. The route was to be B.C. > Wash > Org > Na > Az > NM > Tx > Okla >then all of the south-west > Fla > then up the east coast probably crossing back into Canada somewhere around NY ,then to the farthest point east in Canada then ride back to the west coast stopping a lot, all via HWY 1. The Trans Canada Highway. Its the 4th longest hi-way on the planet, 4,859 miles.
That WAS the plan. I was leaving in June I think,maybe July...I was to leave on the Monday. Went for a ride with a buddy the day before...Sunday afternoon and WHAM. Got run over. Not only did the trip of a lifetime go down the toilet, it was a fairly life altering experience. Busted my body up pretty good,the brain injury was the worst of it.
So perhaps next summer,I shall try again. Its a dream for sure, but perhaps it can be done. Shoe string budget...way shorter time in the saddle taking breaks for days probably,not hours.Most likely not the trip as planned like it was. Who knows.
Wanted to thank those who helped me get the hardbags back home (sold them out of sadness/crushed dreams really) as funds were/are tight and the opertunity presented itself. THANKS GUYS for bringing them home. It meant the world to me.
So that's the story of why I've ugly'd up my Busa. Created the "STTB"
There is one cool thing thou...might it be the fastest "touring bike" you've seen
eye brow.gif
:laugh::thumbsup:
Maybe one day it will pull in your driveway...if it does...DON'T SHOOT.
Thanks for checking it out, peace and love and all that krap :p,
Rubb.

d.jpg

i.jpg

j.jpg

o.jpg

Oops sorry dudes,extra pics. That last one was taken a while back. I had just dropped of a new dollie and got caught in a monsoon. Took a pic because I thought "The Black Bastid" looked good after "being washed." :laugh: Who said I'm not up on cleaning and routine maintenance. :p
Rubb.

Yup...The STTB is ready to roll. Took a bit of doing,but totally worth it...yer gonna love it.

View attachment 1628991

Huh huh...whatcha think...View attachment 1629006 I know...it's it's...uhhmmm...View attachment 1629007
I get a feeling when I look at "The Black Bastid" now...is a kind of growing feeling,a sensation...yup,here it is View attachment 1629008
It's downright fugly.

View attachment 1628992

View attachment 1628993

It took some work too. Guy who sold me the top case and mounts said I was "Good to go"...
It would all work together and be "easy-peasy" you know "Plug N' Play"
Well,fug you buddy,plug n play my azz. Several issues made me work a bit harder than I figured.
With the extended swingarm and fatty tire there was no way to fit the bottom support bracket from each point. The tire is to far back,and the bike sits to low for clearance.

View attachment 1629002

I was going to re-install the OEM plate/tag/fender which is supposed to hold the rear mount bracket on a stock Busa. The tail is to low, and even with my rear air-ride suspension adjusted to max height,there was no room to fit the fender. Thanks again thou @Big E for mailing that to me. It was supposed to make that 4th attachment point a breeze. Nope.

View attachment 1629003

Also my way cool expensive LED plate/tag mount from RoaringToyz had to go bye-bye. They hang off the un-used exhaust hanger and look really sharp,but that's where a hardbag has to sit now.

View attachment 1629001

So that was couple weeks ago and I was fairly happy with the results. Had to scrap those things...but it looked tidy and not bad.Just enuff clearance...good 2 go.

View attachment 1629004

Mounting the hardware for the top case presented a few more challenges. Even thou "Mr.Plug n Play" said no worries,I had a feeling. The hardbags mount in 3 places now instead of 4. The 2 top mounts utilize the frankenstein bolt hole and the cargo net bolt hole on an OEM grab rail.

View attachment 1628995

Well the new hardware for the top case requires removal of the grab rail,can't use it. Oh goodie. So I make the bag frame and the top case frame share the same front mounting point by over lapping them.Looks decent. The 2 are spaced out,away from the body work.

View attachment 1628997

At the rear where the grab bar was attached there no way to over lap the 2 without welding something up possibly having to join the frames together which I dont want to do because I want the choice of bags or top case or both with 2 minute changes. So faced with this...

View attachment 1628996

So I make a little bent,twisted bracket to mount both thru the same attachment point,get the clearance I need from the bodywork and have the bags line up perfectly with the lines of tail and bike.I come up with this...

View attachment 1628998

So being somewhat happy with all that I had to pick a spot to mount my plate and really no location worked. The tag looked ugly (nevermind,I know the whole thing looks fugly) no matter where I put it. It blocked the brake light or looked out of place,blocked access to the trunk key...:banghead: whatever. So I chose this TEMP spot for now. It partially blocks the left turn sig but I seldom use turn indicators anyway.

View attachment 1629009

You'll have to excuse the mess,we are being kicked out of this space (Nov.30th) which we enjoyed for 33 years so things are a little chaotic. I took a couple hours today to de-tach from the situ and my friends grief and just play with my toy.

So the idea is re-kindle a dream I had back in 2005 or 6,cant remem. I was to set off from my little island and go for a ride. I had set aside 8-10 weeks for the tour. Awesome and welcoming Org members insisted on visits in about 15-20 states (un sure really of the number). They told me to just show up,stay as long as I wanted,get there anytime,all I could eat,drink and be Mary View attachment 1629010...as I was not going to adhere to any kind of rigid schedule. Everyone was super about it. Anyways at the time I had a mint running 2000 Busa,a giant pocket full of cash and the time to ride/visit and explore. The route was to be B.C. > Wash > Org > Na > Az > NM > Tx > Okla >then all of the south-west > Fla > then up the east coast probably crossing back into Canada somewhere around NY ,then to the farthest point east in Canada then ride back to the west coast stopping a lot, all via HWY 1. The Trans Canada Highway. Its the 4th longest hi-way on the planet, 4,859 miles.
That WAS the plan. I was leaving in June I think,maybe July...I was to leave on the Monday. Went for a ride with a buddy the day before...Sunday afternoon and WHAM. Got run over. Not only did the trip of a lifetime go down the toilet, it was a fairly life altering experience. Busted my body up pretty good,the brain injury was the worst of it.
So perhaps next summer,I shall try again. Its a dream for sure, but perhaps it can be done. Shoe string budget...way shorter time in the saddle taking breaks for days probably,not hours.Most likely not the trip as planned like it was. Who knows.
Wanted to thank those who helped me get the hardbags back home (sold them out of sadness/crushed dreams really) as funds were/are tight and the opertunity presented itself. THANKS GUYS for bringing them home. It meant the world to me.
So that's the story of why I've ugly'd up my Busa. Created the "STTB"
There is one cool thing thou...might it be the fastest "touring bike" you've seen View attachment 1629007 :laugh::thumbsup:
Maybe one day it will pull in your driveway...if it does...DON'T SHOOT.
Thanks for checking it out, peace and love and all that krap :p,
Rubb.

View attachment 1628994

View attachment 1628999

View attachment 1629000

View attachment 1629005
you'll be ready for the WingDing come spring :poke:

OMG - that bike looks so awesome with those bags! Well done Rubb, when you do this ride, you're gonna be the center of attention every time you stop.

Do the trip. Make the ride. Life changing experience. Done three trips that were 5000+ miles each, and those were such memorable rides. Looking back, I should have done a forth ride like that.

Here's some light reading for you about what it's like to wander: 6000 Miles in 8 days

Six months after I did this ride, I wandered off to Alaska (no plan/no money) and rode 30 days straight covering 10,000 miles sleeping in ditches, side of road, staying with people I met along the way, best ride ever. Wrote a book about it.

you'll be ready for the WingDing come spring :poke:
What in frug is a WingDing? Isn't that slang for party? and if it is,why wait for spring...
gulp.gif

Well umm rubb hard bags luggage on a busa or sports bike look kind of you know what :D But you cant beat the piratical usage of them Quick release on and off option is good take care man :thumbsup:
You just so want to say swear words right now dont you... :laugh:
OMG - that bike looks so awesome with those bags! Well done Rubb, when you do this ride, you're gonna be the center of attention every time you stop.

Do the trip. Make the ride. Life changing experience. Done three trips that were 5000+ miles each, and those were such memorable rides. Looking back, I should have done a forth ride like that.

Here's some light reading for you about what it's like to wander: 6000 Miles in 8 days

Six months after I did this ride, I wandered off to Alaska (no plan/no money) and rode 30 days straight covering 10,000 miles sleeping in ditches, side of road, staying with people I met along the way, best ride ever. Wrote a book about it.
See @busafan08 ...Tim likes it. :p
Thanks Tim. Its now purpose built, right.:thumbsup: Alaska trip...what book? and where do I get a copy?
Rubb.

View attachment 1628991

View attachment 1629009

uuuuuh yeah my
friend_the-best.gif
outa europe

the rack-job you did is absolutely
daumen_hoch02.gif

(grin - the side cases together with the rear wheel look like girls tiny opera handbags for the lipstick and a small parfume)

but unfortunately
schaem.gif
I have to write a very little bit against your choosen word "super"
cwm50.gif
, because the bike is actually only a "VERY-NICE-touring-turbo-busa" aka VNttb
cwm50.gif
, but this it in deed is i admit.

for the pre-word / the term "super" i strongly miss the superbike-handlebar, wich moves nearly any bike to a super-touring-bike, ready even for longest rides.

in my view - remember i´m the
zeigefinger.gif
one from europe (loool) - only with the wider ´n bit higher sb-bar your super-nice-looking-busa moves to a super-touring-turbo-busa.

but you, my
friend_the-best.gif
, are still in your spring (i´m already in my autumn) so stay with your busa as it is and in 20 years, when you´re the same
zeigefinger.gif
like me, you remember my words and move to he other bar.

Holy crap so many words just to have fun playing jokes with you a little - i appologize
and offer you a "givin´ 5"
smiley-5-geben.gif

for the beauty u built

With the price of that back tire, you might want to consider going over to the dark side if you're planning on racking up some serious miles.

Overall though, it looks way cooler than the picture I had in my head.

uuuuuh yeah my View attachment 1629019 outa europe

the rack-job you did is absolutely View attachment 1629020
(grin - the side cases together with the rear wheel look like girls tiny opera handbags for the lipstick and a small parfume)

but unfortunately View attachment 1629021 I have to write a very little bit against your choosen word "super" View attachment 1629022 , because the bike is actually only a "VERY-NICE-touring-turbo-busa" aka VNttb View attachment 1629023 , but this it in deed is i admit.

for the pre-word / the term "super" i strongly miss the superbike-handlebar, wich moves nearly any bike to a super-touring-bike, ready even for longest rides.

in my view - remember i´m the View attachment 1629024 one from europe (loool) - only with the wider ´n bit higher sb-bar your super-nice-looking-busa moves to a super-touring-turbo-busa.

but you, my View attachment 1629025 , are still in your spring (i´m already in my autumn) so stay with your busa as it is and in 20 years, when you´re the same View attachment 1629026 like me, you remember my words and move to he other bar.

Holy crap so many words just to have fun playing jokes with you a little - i appologize
and offer you a "givin´ 5"
View attachment 1629027
for the beauty u built
You don't mind typing and I don't mind reading my friend.:thumbsup: You always make me laugh. You type with a German accent that I have no trouble understanding and that's why I sometimes translate for you,to some members. :D
I have converted bikes from clip-on to superbike bars,might be cool for a long trip.
With the price of that back tire, you might want to consider going over to the dark side if you're planning on racking up some serious miles.

Overall though, it looks way cooler than the picture I had in my head.
Thanks Dave. Funny you mention the tire. I do believe I would have to include 1 tire change for such a trip. Maybe try and calculate an approximate position where and when I might need it,have it waiting for me. I don't think a lot of bike shops have them sitting on the rack. For easy hi-way riding I think I could get about 8-10K out of a rear and leave with a new one up front. I've been eyeing up rear tires lately to see if there has been any progress on technology for "steamroller" tires. The Avon Venom Chrome seems to be about the best 330 option right now. I hear The Dark Side tire guys can still corner a bit,just not enuff for my liking. I'm no insane fast twistie guy,but I can ride OK and still want to have fun out there with the folks I meet and ride with.
Hey Frank @Berlin Germany !!
Hows about you and I turn up in Victoria next summer and join Rubb on the road trip of a lifetime???
Keen?
Hey Rubb @rubbersidedown !!
You cool with that?
I am so down with that. :thumbsup:
Between you riding on the wrong side of the road and Mr.Berlin treating everything like its the fuggin Autobahn I see nothing but huge adventure. You boyz send advanced funds,I buy 2 fairly cheap Busa's,tune them up to the max,ready for the road trip,when we're done,you fly home,and I sell them and get you most,if not all of your money back. I have made money on Busa's. Perhaps stick you 2 on matching BKings. That would look way cool coming down the road. I had a BKing for a short time and loved it.
Rubb.

Hey Frank @Berlin Germany !!
Hows about you and I turn up in Victoria next summer and join Rubb on the road trip of a lifetime???
Keen?

maaaaaaaaaaan?
you won 4 or 5 or more millions in strong currency ($usd or €) at the lottery?

if not please don't make me prone to things that, due to a lack of pecuniary ability, can never happen. otherwise man (me) feel like the donkey

com%2Fwp%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2FBaton-ou-carotte.png

and never try to be the man with the cigar in the rear
cwm50-gif.gif

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

and @rubbersidedown

bros?
i got a bit older - my racing time is over and so my speed is never more that fast that i was some 10 years ago.
the "fear area" at te rear wheel stays at 3-5 mm and won´t get smaller any more.
ok, one exception could be a visit to our small racetrack for 3 or 4 hours - i will see ;) when it gets warmer again around the beginning of april or so and i will report.

loool

and rubb thx for these nice jokes - my cheeks were wet with tears - dear for a very long time i hadn´t so much fun. :p :thumbsup:
thx again

Last edited:
Huh huh...whatcha think...View attachment 1629006 I know...it's it's...uhhmmm...View attachment 1629007
I get a feeling when I look at "The Black Bastid" now...is a kind of growing feeling,a sensation...yup,here it is View attachment 1629008
It's downright fugly.
Rubb.

Rubb, at this juncture I am recalling my initial impression of the Hayabusa. It was recommended to me and I responded harshly that it looks like a big bloated whale. Then over a long period of time that recommendation sat in my mind, mutating, growing. I thought about how the design was not randomly generated by a bunch of marketing people but instead the product of wind tunnel engineering. When I thought about this purposefully, a toggle switch flipped in my head and all of a sudden the bike had a unique and incredible beauty. Here I am, and I could not love looking at my Hayabusa any more than I do already.

Thanks Tim. Its now purpose built, right.:thumbsup:
Rubb.

Absolutely. Those bags provide to you a new level of freedom, friendship, and discovery. They serve a purpose, a great and wonderful purpose. All of a sudden they are in fact beautiful in their own way.
Sorry I just looked back at your pictures and frankly I was wrong. The bagged bike is still ridiculously ugly. As Emily Litella would say, "Never mind."

Last edited:
Hey Rubb your bike is wearing a thong (reflector license plate holder thingy compared to that fat tire Looks like a butt and thing combo lol)

Ride your ride!

Back