oil coming out of air filter ?

kennym4

Registered
It's an 2003 Road King
I've been the one cleaning my Pop's Harley (I know 1'st problem), and whenever I wipe it down for him there's drips of something that feels like oil under the air cleaner, can oil get into the air filter ?

At first I thought that the guy he bought it from just put too much on the filter, but that's been almost 2 months ago when he got it ?

blow by...caused by too much oil (yes, I also have a harley and also a Road King). The crankcase breather VENTS to the back of the air intake/filter assembly and oil mist can be sucked up the hose and deposited through the air filter

Last edited:
blow by...caused by too much oil (yes, I also have a harley and also a Road King). The crankcase breather VENTS to the back of the air intake/filter assembly and oil mist can be sucked up the hose and deposited through the air filter

Thanks, I was afraid to tell him something was REALLY wrong.

If they could build a real off the shelf competitive bike I would take a look. It is sad when they have to be made to be competitive.

Its a harley......HD isn't known for making the best oil containment devices :laugh: Its the nature of the beast, just let it do its thing :thumbsup:
Besides, isn't that supposed to be part of its "character"?

The oil out the air cleaner problem has been around a while. It's not necessarily caused by too much oil in the crankcase. The oil mist condenses and needs to be routed back to the sump, but in many cases it finds its way into the air cleaner. There are several after market kits that can be purchased to alleviate this problem. If you want to know more about the problem and fixes, do a Google search on it and learn up on it. Lots of info available on this problem. It's not a serious problem and most guys just ignore it and wipe up the little bit of oil. The newer engines have been designed to eliminate this problem, not sure how they did it.

Back