Oil Change

Bo_

Registered
For those of us that bought 08's in October we found that after about 100 miles the oil needs to be changed and then again at about 250 or 300 miles. Our experience was that the oil gets real crappy real quick. So if you just got your 08 you might want to change the oil a lot sooner than the recommended 500 mile 1st oil change. I was on my thrid fill of oil before it started staying clear for any length of time.

I'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this way
thumb_up.gif

Better safe then sorry, just a pain to get the fairing off, not like the gen1.Get about 1,500 miles on it then put the good stuff in it.
beerchug.gif

I bought mine in Nov, so I only have to change at 25 miles, then the usual 600 and normal interval afterwards.
whistling.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Better safe then sorry, just a pain to get the fairing off, not like the gen1[/quote]

Concur it's a bit of a pain the first one or two times you remove it... https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=77;t=83726

Got mine two weeks ago. Orange/Black. Only put 174 miles on her, since i live in northeast Pa. I guess its time to get rid of the dirty texas tea.
banghead.gif

so are you saying that if the oil is dark it is not any good or its lubricating properties are diminished?

I drained mine at about 35 miles, left the filter on. Oil was pretty dirty. I'm going to do the complete oil and filter change this weekend (currently 535 on her).

I drained mine at about 35 miles, left the filter on. Oil was pretty dirty.
dunno.gif

I am not understanding this.... first Bo_, and now you.... y'alls oil was *that* dirty after 35 miles?
rock.gif

I notice both of you are from Texas.... coincidental? Or just the dusty Texas riding environment?

I admit, I drained/change oil & filter at 25 miles, but that's just the Old School in me who believes if there was any amount of trace machine shavings that might have broke free during the first couple dozen miles, this initial oil change would help eliminate them. (Truthfully, this might have been true a couple decades ago; probably not so much now). Still, any new bike I get goes through this ritual.

However.... when I drain this 25-mile-old oil, it looks exactly like you would expect it to: pure golden honey clear. I'm reasonably sure this initial oil change is overkill on my part.

But you say yours was actually "dirty" at 35 miles? How so?
dunno.gif
(no baiting here; honest question)

dunno.gif

so are you saying that if the oil is dark it is not any good or its lubricating properties are diminished?
I'm not talking about dark, I'm talking about black. I'm sure it is still protecting the engine but the blackness is mostly impurities, the color change is not from heat only. I would think that most of what we are seeing is clutch crud, and not metallic, but how many clutch fibers do you want on your wrist pins and rod journals?

Interesting points, when I did my oil change on my 08 at (500 miles) the oil was dark and there was a small amount of graphite like fine magnetic(ferrous) break-in particles on the drain plug magnet. Any body else cleaning anything off their magnet?

Plug.jpg

Rode mine for the first time 2 days ago. It's been raining, snowing, etc. I just dumped the oil today with 45 miles on it. Oil looked OK, but lots of "junk" around the inside of the plug. Now she's ready for winter.

BTW--removing that fairing is a real PIA!!!! Had the hardest time getting the front back in place and "hooked" up. Maybe I'll get better next time.

Back