Now starting, but missing

CB31

Registered
Hi all, first time busa owner here, a few weeks a go I bought a '99 busa that'd been sat in a barn for 10 years. 2 owners, 10,000 miles!.

The guy I bought it from had cleaned out the petrol pump & it'd run well until warm, before coughing / spluttering & dying.

I've been through it, serviced it (oil, filter, plugs, air filter) & swapped out the injectors while I was there (I was almost certain they'd be clogged).

Replaced some old fuel hoses from the tank feed & cleaned out a world of rubbish from the petcock. The petcock filter was awfully clogged & I split it trying to clean, so took it off as I wanted to see if it'd start.

It'll start great now & warm up nicely ....... However, sounds like it's missing slightly. Sounds like weak spark, but the plugs are new & checked they're sparking.

I've checked all vaccum lines & they all look fine. Running out of other things to check, so thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas ? - I'm wondering if no petcock filter might be supplying too much petrol maybe ? Bit of a guess tho

Welcome @CB31. Would love to see a pic of the bike!

Is the miss at idle only but disappears as throttle added, or remains? If it was only at idle I might suggest a vacuum balance, however admittedly, that would be more of a last ditch effort particularly with this low mileage.

Check for error codes? No nests in the exhaust? No power commander?

Knowing the low mileage but only because of the issue, I would measure the DC voltage, and measure the impedance of the ignition coils. Due to barn storage do the short circuit/leakage test (with bike off, ammeter between battery and negative cable, < 3mA.)

Hiya, she's not much of a looker currently - but when back together will chuck some pics up!
Literally just found out about dealer mode, checked & the little dash by the code doesn't move with the throttle (at the top of the screen, instead of the middle, with no throttle) so thinking that might be my issue!

Welcome and good on you for resurrecting this bike...

Anything sitting that long unless properly stored in a perfect environment will give you a lot of nightmares low miles or not....

Things go bad just from sitting and sometimes things that we'd never expect...

Check your coils as they can go bad...check all the connectors and wires in general.....if the barn it was sitting in was subject to moisture (and it seems you are from the UK-the land of rain) some of the connectors could be corroded and in need of either replacing or cleaning..

These bikes really like their electrical voltage and any lack thereof will lead to issues....

indeed, coils is what comes up, and how is your tank looking from the inside? litlle bit of rust could give you to litlle gas when glogging up. but if i bought a bike that has been sitting this long i would check ALL electric plugs, take them all and plug in and out several times, then some contact spray. sand down any connection you can sand, and go from there. and if possible take it for a spin so now and then, things have to smoothen out again and sometimes they will.

Was still thinking about your problems, recently my wife bought another BMW after she got rear ended. Offcourse we found a trustworthy cardealership and found a used e46 3 series.
The car ran but i noticed after a few days that things where off, so i opened up the valvecover, see picture.
The only thing i can think of that did this is a car that sat for a verry long time without being used..hence the low milage
The oil sludge was everywhere and the valve seals were rockhard. did a full rebuild of the head and the car runs like new again.
So thats another thing you should think of.....after all this time, how do you think your valveseals look like, or the oil that stayed behind inside the valve cover.

20230518_113119.jpg

20230519_194248.jpg

The only thing i can think of that did this is a car that sat for a verry long time without being used..hence the low milage
The oil sludge was everywhere and the valve seals were rockhard. did a full rebuild of the head and the car runs like new again.

Awesome job on the head!

How many miles? That is oil that was run until it exceeded its ability to do its job due to the internal conditions.

Those engines do not heat up fast enough, they build massive water in the oil when used on shorter trips, have huge gaps in the rings, say hi to blow-by, (hey that rhymes!) and are so expensive for maintenance that the lessee's who are already stretching their budget to own a status car do the bare minimum 7500 mile oil changes. That oil has long-since lost it's ability to combat any of the deliberate design flaws, and thus it turned into Jello Puddin'.

trustworthy cardealership

It is no surprise that service department, who would definitely know just by looking under the filler cap, were not asked by general management to do the job you did, even though doing so was outright critical to the longevity of the engine.

Those people are about as trustworthy as counting on Canada thistle to not scratch you should you rub it all over your face.

Last edited:
Awesome job on the head!

How many miles? That is oil that was run until it exceeded its ability to do its job due to the internal conditions.

Those engines do not heat up fast enough, they build massive water in the oil when used on shorter trips, have huge gaps in the rings, say hi to blow-by, (hey that rhymes!) and are so expensive for maintenance that the lessee's who are already stretching their budget to own a status car do the bare minimum 7500 mile oil changes. That oil has long-since lost it's ability to combat any of the deliberate design flaws, and thus it turned into Jello Puddin'.

It is no surprise that service department, who would definitely know just by looking under the filler cap, were not asked by general management to do the job you did, even though doing so was outright critical to the longevity of the engine.

Those people are about as trustworthy as counting on Canada thistle to not scratch you should you rub it all over your face.
its got 147.000 km on the clock and its a 2004, so for these years....low mileage. But you said that this can be the outcome of not or never chainging the oil? iI really thought that it just sat for years and this was what stayed behind. Never the less, a Busa sitting for 10 years and not running....every seal there is would be worth checking out, its all just rubber and would not even last when in use.
and yeah, get screwed enough by gargage's and you start to learn this stuff yourself, saves a whole lotts of cash, and you can only blame yourself when you screw up.

its got 147.000 km on the clock and its a 2004, so for these years....low mileage. But you said that this can be the outcome of not or never chainging the oil?

I am sure if you google this for BMW you will see the list of factors I wrote - significant condensation from short trips, blow-by, and oil changes not frequent enough to handle the resulting fuel and water. The oil has to combat all of those, and it sacrifices itself to do so, eventually turning into sludge. I read from one BMW owner that when he makes many short trips he leaves the filler cap off so that water can evaporate, and this problem went away for him! LOL.

The Japanese perfected engines warming up fast. Nobody worries about doing the daily shopping in a Camry and destroying the engine. On a BMW, it is a different story. I would adhere to the "severe maintenance schedule" that most Japanese owners just outright ignore.

Never the less, a Busa sitting for 10 years and not running....every seal there is would be worth checking out, its all just rubber and would not even last when in use.

Amen to that.

Used to do auto insurance claims. Snow birds would come back to AZ in the winter to find rodents had gnawed on wiring, etc. My favorite was the very industrious vermin that transferred a season worth of dog food into the air box on a nice Cadillac.

Back