Nor Cal, just north of San Fran...what's a MUST do?

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
On Thursday I am flying to Cali to visit family, sister lives in Petaluma which is 40 miles north of San Fran. Doing Alcatraz Thursday, but other than that what are some must dos or sees that might not be crazy with tourists? I have never been to California. I have heard the Redwood forests are pretty cool

Just thought I would ask for input from the .org on experiences you've had in the area.

Petaluma is beautiful as well as Napa, I suggest a winery tour or perhaps the wine train.
There is also a great little Greek restaurant that I can't remember the name of:banghead:

The Redwoods are best this time of year!:thumbsup:
Have fun.
Bubba

The locals just call it 'The City'. San Fran or Frisco mark you as tourist, but hey you'll be one, so who cares? The City is crazy with tourists and driving/parking sucks but it's well worth it. My recommendations: Take the BART train from outside the city and just walk, take cabs and public transport and you avoid all the car hassels. THE LIST, in no particular order: Alioto's restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf. Get crabs(the kind you eat). Walk a few blocks and get some sourdough bread from the Boudin bakery. Walk another few blocks and get some Ghirardelli chocolate, eat it while you watch the street performers. Go to a Giant's game at ATT park. Lots of bars and restaurants right next to the ball park. Ride the trolleys, go to China Town. Drive accross the Golden Gate. You mentioned Alcatraz. Treasure Island, Golden Gate Park and The Presidio are also pretty cool. You can do an evening Bay Cruise. Dinner and drinks, amazing views, floating under all the bridges. If you somehow get on two wheels, head south about an hour and ride Hwy 9 to Alice's restaurant. Redwood forests lead to the Pacific Ocean. Drive down Hwy 1. Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel are all within a day's drive of Petaluma. There's plenty of beaches closer like Half Moon Bay. Take a whale watching boat tour. That's awesome too. The list goes on but those are some of my faves. Don't expect sunny LA. NoCal is cold and foggy, especially near the coast. Bring some long sleeves and a jacket although if your from the east coast you may not need it. Hope this helps, have fun and don't forget to report back on the experience. Also bring $ since Cali is kinda expensive.

The locals just call it 'The City'. San Fran or Frisco mark you as tourist, but hey you'll be one, so who cares? The City is crazy with tourists and driving/parking sucks but it's well worth it. My recommendations: Take the BART train from outside the city and just walk, take cabs and public transport and you avoid all the car hassels. THE LIST, in no particular order: Alioto's restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf. Get crabs(the kind you eat). Walk a few blocks and get some sourdough bread from the Boudin bakery. Walk another few blocks and get some Ghirardelli chocolate, eat it while you watch the street performers. Go to a Giant's game at ATT park. Lots of bars and restaurants right next to the ball park. Ride the trolleys, go to China Town. Drive accross the Golden Gate. You mentioned Alcatraz. Treasure Island, Golden Gate Park and The Presidio are also pretty cool. You can do an evening Bay Cruise. Dinner and drinks, amazing views, floating under all the bridges. If you somehow get on two wheels, head south about an hour and ride Hwy 9 to Alice's restaurant. Redwood forests lead to the Pacific Ocean. Drive down Hwy 1. Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel are all within a day's drive of Petaluma. There's plenty of beaches closer like Half Moon Bay. Take a whale watching boat tour. That's awesome too. The list goes on but those are some of my faves. Don't expect sunny LA. NoCal is cold and foggy, especially near the coast. Bring some long sleeves and a jacket although if your from the east coast you may not need it. Hope this helps, have fun and don't forget to report back on the experience. Also bring $ since Cali is kinda expensive.

All good stuff.:thumbsup:

And remember this famous quote "The coldest winter I ever spent, was a summer in San Francisco" MT
Or something like that.

Bernsteins' 123 Powell st. famous clam chowder. and the Cliff House
Oops, just read that Bernsteins closed in 1981.

p38199-San_Francisco-Cliff_House_Number_Three.jpg

card00185_fr.jpg

Last edited:
Petaluma Speedway

Twin Peaks (San Francisco, California) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Infineon Raceway

NapaValley.com - The authority for lodging, winery, dining, activities, real estate, and current events in the Napa Valley.

Calistoga Speedway - Home

Welcome to the "Official" Stinson Beach, California Website

Muir Woods National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Petaluma Adobe State Historic Park in Sonoma County, California

I grew up in Petaluma, now living halfway between it and SF.
Make sure you watch the sun set on the ocean at least one night.
Also Silverado Trail from Napa to Calistoga or visa-versa through the grape fields this time of year is nice. Petaluma to Hwy 1 then to Stinson Beach/Muir Woods area is fun scenic. Downtown Petaluma at night Fri/Sat is very fun, part of American Graffiti was filmed there-the lot were the cops car rear axle is yanked out is still used and is next to a Music Hall and eatery.

Enjoy.

5 -8 -07 022.jpg

12-16-07 011.jpg

12-16-07 046.jpg

backyard + AMA 069.jpg

zz1 043.jpg

stinson beach + foothills 026.jpg

Petaluma Speedway

Twin Peaks (San Francisco, California) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Infineon Raceway

NapaValley.com - The authority for lodging, winery, dining, activities, real estate, and current events in the Napa Valley.

Calistoga Speedway - Home

Welcome to the "Official" Stinson Beach, California Website

Muir Woods National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Petaluma Adobe State Historic Park in Sonoma County, California

I grew up in Petaluma, now living halfway between it and SF.
Make sure you watch the sun set on the ocean at least one night.
Also Silverado Trail from Napa to Calistoga or visa-versa through the grape fields this time of year is nice. Petaluma to Hwy 1 then to Stinson Beach/Muir Woods area is fun scenic. Downtown Petaluma at night Fri/Sat is very fun, part of American Graffiti was filmed there-the lot were the cops car rear axle is yanked out is still used and is next to a Music Hall and eatery.

Enjoy.
Do you know the Greek Restaurant that is in a remote area and has belly-dancing nightly. It is located close to the water way in Petaluma and has a very warm and open aire to it?
I have been there a few times but never drove so I am lost!
Bubba

Back