No more synthetic oil change interval debate for me now

Your oil gets dark mostly by the products of combustion that blow by the rings and on leakdown when the engine is stopped. If your air filter is in good shape, very little "grit" goes into the combustion chamber and the vast majority of it gets burned and blown out the exhaust. Yes, there are microscopic particles of grit that make it past the rings, but the quantity is so small that an oil change interval of 2000 vice 4000 really would not make a difference. You have more potential for oil contamination from internal wear on cold startup than any other time. Although your oil filter can capture "grit" its primary purpose is to capture components of internal wear and keep them from accelerating wear on bearings, rings, etc. Folks get hung-up on changing out their oil filters every time but the reality is your oil filter will never get clogged and its effectiveness actually increases with use until the point it affects the flow of oil through the oil pump. After your initial oil change, if you change out your filter every third oil change like the manual says you will save wear and tear on your fairings and not do any damage to the engine.

Your oil gets dark mostly by the products of combustion that blow by the rings and on leakdown when the engine is stopped. If your air filter is in good shape, very little "grit" goes into the combustion chamber and the vast majority of it gets burned and blown out the exhaust. Yes, there are microscopic particles of grit that make it past the rings, but the quantity is so small that an oil change interval of 2000 vice 4000 really would not make a difference. You have more potential for oil contamination from internal wear on cold startup than any other time. Although your oil filter can capture "grit" its primary purpose is to capture components of internal wear and keep them from accelerating wear on bearings, rings, etc. Folks get hung-up on changing out their oil filters every time but the reality is your oil filter will never get clogged and its effectiveness actually increases with use until the point it affects the flow of oil through the oil pump. After your initial oil change, if you change out your filter every third oil change like the manual says you will save wear and tear on your fairings and not do any damage to the engine.

+10000

I go 15K on the filter and 5K on the oil. Two oil only, and one oil and filter. With 94K, I'll call it a sucess. :thumbsup:

I will change the oil
tomorrow and see
what happens . . .

:race:

Back