Night at the 1/4 mile

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Made a quick Friday night run down to KC from Des Moines on the ultimate Sport Bike: The Hayabusa. 5 minutes of suspension setup and it's a smooth ridin highway machine. Got to the Strip, 5 more minutes and it's a drag strip ready rail bike. The next day, more suspension tweaking and off to cruise around KC for a few hours. Awesome.

So, I arrived seconds after Kawiboy adn freinds from Omaha got there, teched up and got ready to roll. It was busy with all styles of cars and bikes, but I'd say half the bikes were busas with various mods, stretched and maybe some NOS. Dropped my rear tire to 24 PSI and let her rip. I'll say one thing, having little or no experience at this, I'm pretty consistantly bad with my launches: all 4 runs I did, I got 11.something seconds and 133-134 mph. Probably not great, but it was my first real 1/4 mile.

The strip was super sticky and I probably didn't even need to burn off my tire, but it seemed like the thing to do.

This was my best run even though I bogged it in 1st off the line: 11.019 sec @ 134.20mph. I'm sure with a bit of practice I can get into the 10 second range. Mine is a stock [well, K&N air filter which probably adds zero hp] 2003 Silver [fastest color for that year model] and last dynojet stated 153 hp. Enough yapping here's some pics.

Please forgive the night photography, I was having more fun racing than worrying about exposures and quality

drag1.JPG

more sweet busa action. against his friend's 1000. Who won? IDK I wasn't paying attention
biggrin.gif

drag4.JPG

of course what is a night at the strip without a little busa on busa action?

drag6.JPG

me on the ready line with a CBR that probably launched way better than I did

drag7.JPG

SPECIAL THANKS to Hal for taking pics while I was running the track! Great to see you there supporting the Busa efforts at the strip
smile.gif

drag8.JPG

"I bet I can shave off a FULL TWO SECONDS if I don't run with the kickstand down this time!"

drag9.JPG

I'll learn how to launch better and go back for a 10.+ run. This hobby eats tires big time though! Hats off to you guys with the drag skills! Always impressive to see a smooth fast launch!

drag22.JPG

the track sure makes it fun to run a hayabusa
looks like you had your share of fun there.

I'm with you on the lack of launching skills! Had to fun to get out there the first time though.

It was fun. Gotta go back and get 10. at least. My last run was a good launch, but the bag wheel just started spinning like all the rubber was greasy! Oh well. There's always next year
smile.gif

Nice pictures, we had a kick ass time down in KC. More bikes then you can shake a stick at. We hope to come back down before winter hits, though we will see. Thanks for meeting up with us Friday night, it was cool meeting new guys with the 1300's. We went out to eat afterwards and then went riding till almost 2:15am. A Blast! KC is a great motorcycle town!

Cody
beerchug.gif

P1040982.JPG

Back