New Tires For 08 Hayabusa

shortstuf

Registered
Well it's about time to put a new set of tires on my 08 Hayabusa and I have been hearing a lot of good things about the Bridgestone BTO16s. What do you guys think of them? Is there any benefit of putting 190/55/17 on my bike over the standard 190/50/17? Who has the best price on these tires. Thanks for you input.:thumbsup:

I run the BT016's and love the handling aspect of them, But don't think i'll be happy with treadlife. I had 1500 miles on my last rear bt016 before I picked up a nail and swapped it out, And it was starting to square off pretty bad. I put a new one on the rear and if it doesn't last i'll go with something else. Probably Pilot Road 2's since I live in Fl with very little turns..

I bought my front bt016 from Jakewilson.com for a good price. The rear was bought at Cyclegear when they had it on sale.

Is this your first replacement set of tires, yo?

As far as tire prices go, first check with board sponsors. See what they've got.

After that, check the internet. Do you change the rubber yourself or do you go to a dealership/friend/? You'll need place to get them changed and sometimes you'll get a break on $ if you buy them at the same place they're mounted/balanced.

Check Cycle Gear...they're always having a sale on something. If you take your wheels in there, they'll swap the rubber out for you; for a price.

Lastly, if you DO change the rubber yourself, I wouldn't hesitate to make the purchase online.

Good luck, fellow cheese-head!

:beerchug:

Oh, and :welcome: to the madness. I grew up on the shores of the stunning Lake Geneva; where are you?

:beerchug:

Get whatever high performance street tire you can get the best deal on made by bridgestone, Michelin or dunlop. Dunlop's Qualifier 2s are my tire of choice right now and as long as they are selling them for about $220 shipped for a set I'll continue to run them. The seem to give me what I'm looking for out of a tire. If you've followed the site at all you'll see how ecstatic Scar has been about the Pilot Power Pures. The tire that i'm curious about now is the the BT003 RS. I would like to see some real world feedback on those. I've also ran BT16s and PP2CTs and have not had any issues with either of those.

Good luck and have fun shopping

The last 2 sets of tires that I have had on my 'Busa were a set of Avon Storms and a set of Pirelli Angels. I loved both of them and got lots of mileage out of them. Can't comment on the new set of tires that I have on the bike now. Have had them on the bike for less then a 1k miles.

the factor brigstones on mine rode hard,,,I bought michlin pilot powers,,nice ride and they hook up,,,the cheapest place to buy tires of anybrand is from derbycycles.net I bought a set last saturday,,michlin pilot powers rear z rated 110.00 front z rated 73.00 no tax free fedex shipping,,and they ride and hook up super nice brake pads for the front [ EBC] 29 a set yee haa

i've tried a lot of tyres but i was satisfied with MP 2CT and better to put on METZELER M3 OR M5..They last longer and have better grip in any acasion..
For sure don't try pirelly and bridgestone..

Is there any benefit of putting 190/55/17 on my bike over the standard 190/50/17?

The 55 series has a larger footprint while at lean vs 50 and thus more traction. Also gives you a litte more ride height in the back which makes the bike turn in a little sharper.

I will be taking the original BTO15 off and yes i will be changing the tires myself. Anybody know how the BTO16s wear compared to the original BTO15s

little better, about the same. I think I actually got fewer miles out my BT16s but you have to factor in by the time the 16s came around there was no break in period and I was much more confident twisting the throttle. I road the 15s down to the chords and switched the 1s at the ware bars too. They don't tell you when you buy one of these things that they burn tires faster than they burn fuel.

You'll like the BTO16's. I have them on my GSXR1K and three more sets in the garage for future use. They are about as good as you'll find in a performance street tire. I romp them a the track and hang with the slow race guys.

If you are looking for performance plus extended life, take a look at Bridgestone's new BTO23. I will be mounting a BTO16 front BTO23 rear on my busa very soon. This combonationd works quite well. The 16 keeps the front planted while the dual compound rear BTO23 gives good life with nice stick on the sholders for good side grip. You can do the same with a Dunlop Q2 front and a Roadsmart rear. Same principle, longer life with good performance.

I put a set of the 016's on my 08 at about 5500 miles. I really liked the way they stick in the turns. Now at 9000 miles the sides of the front tire are completely gone. The rear still has some sidewall left. The centers still look ok on front and rear. This is the first time I have ever wore the sides out first on any tire and also first time i toasted the front first....they must be really soft or they feel so much better im riding harder? I have a new set of
pures im going to try ...went with a 190/55 on the rear.

Tnbusa, had the same experience.
At the bash,wore the tires to the wear indicators on the sides, front and back. The rear tire(55) lasted approx. 2600 miles,the front about 3000.
My front was basically inverted on the sides.:laugh:
Love these tires,grip is just as good at the end of the tires life, as new! No cupping to speak of,this while riding 2-up.:thumbsup:

I have the Dunlop Q2's and I am absolutely LOVING them so far. If any tire I have ever used has been confidence inspiring, it is these things. They just keep on gripping without fail... Not sure about the life, though. I only got 3500 miles out of the stock BT015's... I am hoping the Q2's get more life because of the dual compound. We will see.

Has anyone run the Shinko tires? My bike has them alreay and the guy I bought it from said he loved them. I've had the bike a year and a half with no complaints. I see good reviews, and mind you I want treadwear and dont really care if I can run 190mph in the curves:whistle:
I want a good wearing tire that I dont replace every 3000 miles.

Anyone run the Dunlop roadsmart sport touring? Any feedback? I'm trying to decide between the new Avons, Metzeler m5 and the Roadsmarts for my next tires.

Anyone run the Dunlop roadsmart sport touring? Any feedback? I'm trying to decide between the new Avons, Metzeler m5 and the Roadsmarts for my next tires.

My friend Ross DeLong who had the track records at both local tracks until this past weekend runs a Qualifier 2 on the front and a Roadsmart on the rear of his street bike and loves the combination. I think you would too!

Tnbusa, had the same experience.
At the bash,wore the tires to the wear indicators on the sides, front and back.

When that occurs on the streets it's usually a sign of poor suspension performance causing the front to plow.

Back