New plugs, synched TBs = less mpg???

Michael-NC

Registered
Changed spark plugs to iridium ones (gapped properly) and synched TBs. Checked TPS position and it is OK ("-" in the middle). Engine runs smooth, great idle, pulls strong, no complaints there. However, before plug change and TB synch I was getting 41-44mpg not pushing it, now it is 33-36mpg, same riding style, same PC3 map. It's an '03 with HMF slip-ons. Tried other maps and still ca. 8-10mpg less than before. WTF? Thanks for any advise.

My MPG is about the same; 35-ish.

Strange as it may sound, I think the iridium plugs may be causing some of it.

When I switched to iridiums (first plug change), my MPG dropped immediately. I didn't change anything else but the plugs. I then went and bought some stockers and pulled the iridiums...my MPG went back up.

Perhaps it was the moon-phase or sun-spots, but I noticed a difference... BTW, FWIW, a buddy of mine noticed the same thing when he installed iridiums

I just did the first plug change on my 02, and used the Iridium's, and also sync'd the throttle bodys. Still getting 41-42 mpg. Stock except for Akra bolt ons.

I get 23-28mpg depending on how i ride,i just changed my plugs (stock plug) although im mapped 10% fat because of NOS..my bike runs/idles smooth as silk...

Also check for vacuum leaks...where the air box, "seats" on the throttle bodies and whether all the vacuum lines were assembled properly. No offense, I'm sure you're a good wrench. Just offering ideas. BTW, I still run the CR9E's, every 7,500, now at 26,500, no complaints.........

Thanks for your replies, I will try going back to stock plugs and see if mpg improves, this sucks, I was expecting an increased or equal mpg and not less with iridium plugs in.

Back