new member with the new lathe!!!!!

kml

Donating Member
Registered
Whatd up guys!:beerchug: Im new here and I got my new lathe! itz awesomes!! Its the best LATHE IN THE WORLD!! I always wanted a monster lathe from the first time i saw one one the science channel. i don't know how to opperate it but Im gonna take it slow at the start and treat it with respect Even thought I dont no how to use it I think If I respect it Ill be fine. besides YOU DON'T KNOW ME....All that shop safty gear thais just for pros i dont think I need any of that shop safety stuff cause Im just gonna use my lathe at home. Someone told me I should take a shop saftey course but thats expensive and I need the money for a new Alien vs preditor theme paint job on my new lathe. Its gonna rock!!!! :cheerleader::cheerleader:
I didn't think I should start out with a smaller lathe cauce Im a big guy and id look like a Gorrilla standing next to a seweing machine if i got a small starter lathe. Its my money and I can buy the lathe i want and id just trade in in for a bigger lathe in a week or so. really im saving money.

Heres a pic of the best lathe in the world. I read on another forum that if i take the all guard offs and cut the ground off the plug it spins 50% faster. has anybody tried that here?

Hope to go lathing with some of you guys in my area

i no u guys like pics hears me wid my lathe
lathe.jpg

:moon::moon::moon:

Re: new member with teh new lathe!!!!!

:laugh:

Since you already have the lathe, :welcome: You really should take that shop safety course and get the feel for a lathe on their bikes first, but I know you won't be able to look at your lathe sitting in your shop for that long without giving it a spin. Keep the RPMs under 5,000 and you should be fine. She's big and heavy, but spinning slowly she's really a pussycat. :laugh:

there is an old manual lathe with a decent sized piece on a steady rest....that looks like a model only a couple years older than what i run lol

:rofl: That thing is HUGE!! :rofl:

i should take a pic of what i run sometime...largest we run is about 80 inches long wich is longer than what they are showing there

??? what ya gonna make with it?

i have a 42" gap bed, gear driven, lathe in my shop. spinning stuff out can be fun. get your self a machinist handbook. different stuff is spun at different speeds and have different feed rates. that little book can tell you the answers to that and much more.

good luck with your new toy. just be careful,:poke: stringers are sharp as razor blades, and that thing had enough power to rip you in 1/2.

and DO NOT TAKE OFF YOUR GUARDS OR CUT OFF THE GROUND PLUG!:rulez: BAD BAD IDEA!

Nice lathe Ken. :thumbsup:

You can turn out some real big spikes for your Busa on that toy. :laugh:

i want more bigger spikes!!! how much for a footlong with a 12 degree taper?? i'll need at least a dozen of them!!:rofl:

but seriously- sweet setup!

thread jack: ON

M114 155mm Howitzer

Type: Howitzer
Place of origin: United States

Service history
In service 1942–present
Used by See operators
Wars World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Lebanese Civil War

Production history
Designed 1939–1941
Manufacturer Rock Island Arsenal (US)
Produced 1941–1953
Number built 10,300+[citation needed]
Variants none

Specifications
Weight 5,800 kilograms (13,000 lb) (traveling)
5,600 kilograms (12,000 lb) (combat)
Length 7.315 metres (24.00 ft) (traveling)
Barrel length bore: 3.564 m / 23 calibers
overall: 3.79 m / 24.5 calibers
Width 2.438 metres (8.00 ft) (traveling)
Height 1.803 metres (5.92 ft) (traveling)
Crew 11

Shell separate-loading bagged charge
Caliber 155 mm
Breech slow-cone interrupted screw
Recoil hydropneumatic system
Carriage split trail
Elevation -2°/+63°
Traverse 25° left or right from centerline
Rate of fire burst:4 rounds per minute
sustained: 40 rounds per hour
Muzzle velocity 563 m/s (1,847 ft/s)
Maximum range 14,600 metres (16,000 yd)