new member needs help

chrisbusa

Registered
ok guys i just put on a new undertail and bought a new tag bracket that goes on the swingarm. has anyone ever done this before, is it hard to install. i called the dealer and they said it would take only 20 min and would cost $65.00. it cant be that hard if it only takes 20 minutes, any help would be appreciated.

Chris,
When you say it mounts to the swing arm, that is a little ambiguous. There are a couple of different types of plate relocators; as an example, one mounts to the same holes that your chain guard is mounted to (you have to remove the chain guard - two button head bolts) - another mounts under the rear axle retaining nut (takes the place of the spacer). Which one do you have?

You'll have to show a pic because there are different types. Betting that you will have to remove the axle nut, fit the bracket in place and replace the axle nut. Make sure to torque the nut to proper specs.

We must have been typing at the same time, MC Mustang.
biggrin.gif

Looks like it! But I must say you hit it right on!
wink.gif

sorry guys, i should have been more descriptive. it is the type that takes the place of the spacer. if you could would you give me an entire walk through, never done this before and i dont want to mess anything up. ive been told the tire would have to come off to do this, is that true. thanks

also i have not figured out how to post pics, ive been trying because i know everyone here is pic crazy, plus id like to know what you guys think about my bike!

I don't think you would have to remove the tire. The only reson that I can think of that you would, is if you want the plate reloctor on the opposite side of where the nut currently is. If so, then you would have to pull the axle through and turn it around. If you don't need to do that, then I believe if you remove the cotter pin and the nut, you should be able to slide the spacer off, replace with the plate relocator and reinstall the nut and cotter pin. You might have to loosen the chani to remove the spacer, and if so, you'll have to tighten it again when you are through. Having said that, I may be missing a step, so you may want to wait until some of the more experienced wrenches answer up.

i have one of those tag mounts. its easy.....you dont hafta take the tire off, just the nut, and that spacer thingy.
heres mine........

Imagestation.com closed, link removed

I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP GUYS, BUT I JUST DECIDED TO MOUNT IT ON THE UNDERTAIL, I THINK IT LOOKS PRETTY GOOD THERE. ANYWAY I WILL NOT BE NEEDING THE BRACKET ANYMORE SO IF ANYONE NEEDS ONE LET ME KNOW. I PAID 130.00 FOR IT BUT ILL LET ONE OF YOU GUYS HAVE IT FOR 50.00. ITS POWDERCOATED BLACK, JUST LET ME KNOW.:)

Back