New Cage couple questions

SpeedAdict

Gabe
Donating Member
Registered
Well guys I work for lockheed martin (goverment killin us on budget issues) and with the economy the way it is I traded in my much loved 07 tacoma dbl cab for a used 04 Grand Prix GT (pics to follow). It was a very sad morning for me because this is the first car I bought brandy new and I did take my first kid home from the hospital in it. But I am not a fool either (I think) and I tend to try to prepare for looming storms. So I made the deal, and the dealership payed all I owe on the truck and cut me a good....not great...deal on a pontiac. I have always loved the Grand Prix but it is just not my first option. However I still do thank the lord that I am blessed enough to buy cars and not find myself in a situation were I am selling motorcycle and car to keep house like so many people are these days. So all the depressing stuff aside I was wondering if anyone knows how much these cars can tow? I have a small trailer and have already found a hitch for the car, just wondering if this is a 1 or 2 busa hauler mo-bile? Trailer is only 300 lbs and is a good trailer and I would like to go to the fall bash with 2 busas. Also if anyone is reading this that has a factory CD radio that wants to get it out of the dust collecting portion of there garage, let me know and I would be happy to make a deal with you. Someone took the factory out and put in some walmart JVC junk and now the steering wheel controls don't work. So when I get delivery I will post pics. Until then here is one I found on the net.

Grand prix.jpg

General Motors Dealer World lists the maximum towing capacity as 2000 lbs, so the motorcycle trailer should be fine with one bike on it. I can try and find you a factory radio if you'd like.

Well guys I work for lockheed martin (goverment killin us on budget issues) and with the economy the way it is I traded in my much loved 07 tacoma dbl cab for a used 04 Grand Prix GT (pics to follow). It was a very sad morning for me because this is the first car I bought brandy new and I did take my first kid home from the hospital in it. But I am not a fool either (I think) and I tend to try to prepare for looming storms. So I made the deal, and the dealership payed all I owe on the truck and cut me a good....not great...deal on a pontiac. I have always loved the Grand Prix but it is just not my first option. However I still do thank the lord that I am blessed enough to buy cars and not find myself in a situation were I am selling motorcycle and car to keep house like so many people are these days. So all the depressing stuff aside I was wondering if anyone knows how much these cars can tow? I have a small trailer and have already found a hitch for the car, just wondering if this is a 1 or 2 busa hauler mo-bile? Trailer is only 300 lbs and is a good trailer and I would like to go to the fall bash with 2 busas. Also if anyone is reading this that has a factory CD radio that wants to get it out of the dust collecting portion of there garage, let me know and I would be happy to make a deal with you. Someone took the factory out and put in some walmart JVC junk and now the steering wheel controls don't work. So when I get delivery I will post pics. Until then here is one I found on the net.

towing capacity is 1000.

i pull a motorcycle trailer hauling one bike with a Mitsubishi w/ turbo and haven't had any issues at all...i don't know how it would do with two bikes but don't think there would be too much of an issue as long as i only had one passenger, not a lot of gear, and took my time

IMG_2773 (Large).jpg

You will have no problems pulling the trailer. As a suggestion, invest in a tranny cooler. It'll help with the life of your tranny. Like mine so much, I bought 2:laugh:

Tranny cooler is already on the list of mods just for this reason. I found that 1000 lbs towing and that puts it right in the red between trailer and 2 busas. If I was in Florida I would do 2 no problem but going through the smokeys with that kind of weight is a little iffy. I will post pics what ever the outcome. :laugh:

I'll try and find a decent deal on an AM/FM CD.

Last edited:
Uhaul ought to be able to confirm the recommended maximum towing capacity. As some have said, do install a trans cooler and only run it in D (not overdrive) while towing.

I'm looking into buying a trailer when I return to Germany so thanks for asking. I have the 04 GP also. Secondly, you can go to any radio install and their is a kit for no factory radios so you can still use the controls. A bit pricey ($300) was the quote for me. I plan to convert to a DVD indash Kenwood deck w/Navigation but I still want to be able to use the steering wheel controls.

pict0178_thumb.jpg

I guess you're not being affected by the retiring of shuttle. I work for them as well but I'm being laid off at the end of June.

I have pulled my bike thousands of miles behind a Bonneville.. never an issue but do try and find a trailer with a removable ramp..

a drive on ramp that folds straight up will act like a parachute out the back.. Uhaul uses a fold up ramp but it is short enough not to be so bad.. I get 24mpg w/o trailer, 19 w/ uhaul trailer and about 14 w/trailer with a tall ramp.. Lower mileage can also can relate to "wear and tear" on the car as it has to work harder to run at speed..

I have a '98 GTP and have dragged way more then 1000lbs on the the way to the gap several times. The brakes on the pre - '00 are a little hairy but otherwise the car doesn't really seem to mind.

quick edit, I remember bringing my bike home from Ohio in the only trailer I could find, an enclosed 5x8 Uhaul. 13mpg in boost most of the way home. LOL

Last edited:
Back