New bike- Honda VFR1200F -I bought one

Looks good. Was you riding it late this afternoon? I thought I saw one go by me in your neck of the woods.

A good mate of mine has one.

I have ridden the manual and the auto. The auto is very well done. The future, for sure.

We went for a ride yesterday and swapped - the VFR doesn't go as well as the Bus (to be expected), but the wind management really is 1st class - no buffeting up to 160 km/hr (100 mph)...on a closed course, of course...

:laugh:

It is also beautifully put together. The brakes are excellent.

As another poster said, they are about 5K overpriced. If they were 20K, Honda would sell lots more.

Please give us more info over time, I am very intrigued with the bike as a replacement to my DL1000 VStrom as my primary commuter bike, I saw lots of bad press about the cost/performance/gas tank. I have a hunch that it is a real nice bike however. Anxious to try one & find a good deal in a year or 2. :thumbsup:

Please give us more info over time, I am very intrigued with the bike as a replacement to my DL1000 VStrom as my primary commuter bike, I saw lots of bad press about the cost/performance/gas tank. I have a hunch that it is a real nice bike however. Anxious to try one & find a good deal in a year or 2. :thumbsup:
Whilst I'm certain that the VFR1200 would be a good commuter, I don't think it would be a great one. IMO, the VFR800 (Interceptor, I think you guys call it) would be a much better choice. - A lot cheaper, too.

The VFR1200 is equivalent to BMW's K1300S: a work of art, which you take on long trips; not something for riding every day.

Nice purchase... the color in person is even better then the picture! Would love to ride one! Styling isnt me, but in typical Honda fashion it looks well built!

Styling isnt me, but in typical Honda fashion it looks well built!

Yeah, the styling isn't even typical Honda fashion. If you put a BMW badge on that bike, no-one would question it.
It's plainly obvious that Honda are going after the BMW-buying segment of the sport-tourer market.

I heard that it had a small tank and theat limited range, .made it unwanted for touring ??? Is this true???

I think it's like 4.5 gal, getting around 38 mph on the road. Good for two up an around 120 miles between stops (generally the second person dictates the mileage anyway :laugh: ----- For those married you understand this) . So, Long Distance Rallying or Long Distance Day riding, not so good. But for just traveling 350 to 450 miles a day, with breaks, it would seem to be a fairly good bike :beerchug:

Whilst I'm certain that the VFR1200 would be a good commuter, I don't think it would be a great one. IMO, the VFR800 (Interceptor, I think you guys call it) would be a much better choice. - A lot cheaper, too.

The VFR1200 is equivalent to BMW's K1300S: a work of art, which you take on long trips; not something for riding every day.

Thanks Rainbow. When I get the new bike sickness, logic seldom prevails... Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the replies. :beerchug:

Have been on the thought that fuel range all stacks up a little more favorably as it breaks in and time goes by . Using good fuel and fully topping the gas tank . It has a 5.0 gallon gas tank which is par for the course. Yesterday, the tank held perhaps .5 gallon ""more gas"" when held up straight off the sidestand vs resting on it at angle. I don't know if those magazine folks testing outright tank range fill them this way .

I do believe an extended run-in time is in order. Akrapovic and Bos dyno baseline's seem to support my thinking. Like 6000 miles vs less than 100 miles as exampled in the magazine tests. Shaft drive loosened up and all that but ---- Gas with 10-15% methanol is known to reduce gas mileage by some 2-5 mpg in automobiles . I don't know why there would be any difference in a motorcycle with 175 BHP.Just talking possibles here.

Starting with 29 miles yesterday we went for 110 miles. Today i went and filled it and saw 40.2 mpg from that ride. It never saw over 6500rpm but throttle was wide open 10 times doing load then closed throttle coast downs to seat the rings. Yes, i counted them :thumbsup: It's apt to do better at steady hwy throttle with more miles and when or if the engine is uncorked with an exhaust system and given a PC tune-up. Apt to get less when honking it on. I don't see a problem in the long run either way.

The suspension is pretty much Sport-Bike firm,just with real world all day ergo's. It steers and changes mid turn direction like one as well and again, really feels much lighter than it is. I feel like i sit "in" the bike more than "on" it. Wind protection is very nice and the wife really likes the comfort of the extra seat to pillion peg distance. Rider pegs are fine. I don't need to drop them which will keep my boots off the pavement. Also, and it's not that it won't run under 3k rpm but it loves to be revved 4k rpm and above . The engine really starts to change pitch above 3600 or so. First and second gear are taller than what i've been on lately but the rest are consecutively tighter. The gear box is sweet to row through with this engine .

I know new bike day or year can wear off. I don't see it because i've been wanting something like this in a V configuration for along time. There was alot of engineering beyond the initial glance that went into it. I've read it all and happy that Honda built it. I was ready and really needed to be revived.

I don't want to sound fan boy but who cares --- this SOB is really fun ! The oils been changed and i'm going to romp on it next time out.

Back