Need Low Beam opinions Gen 1 2007 - HID, PIAA, Osram Rallye or something else??

yellowdog99

Registered
I just bought a 2007 busa 2 weeks ago and it needs a low beam. The OEM one is like $19.99 so i started thinking about other options.

The first thing I'm reading about is if they're legal or not. I am in Florida and I'm seeing yes and no all over the place. So i'm confused..:banghead:

The second thing is i see there are literally 100's of kits out there - some screwing with cluster guages... some having relays.. some having delays....and on and on.

Not knowing anything about this stuff - i'm open to ideas and opinions. My bike shop guy says he can install HID but I'm always concerned the more complicated it gets...

I plan on driving at night and if i go far enough i could run in to roads where animals could dive at me from the side of the road (deer, panther, um..bear...? lol)... so i'd like to see well.

The last thing.. i'll go take a picture now. The previous owner put in these purple circle things (no idea what they're called) but i dont want to drown them out completely with 6000 lumens or something... BUT i don't know if they will be drowned out or not. ...that's one of my questions (pic below)...

So i'd like something that is bright, doesn't ruin the purple things being visible, and is pretty easy to install. If HID is your opinion feel free to share links to the kit you used or like and if you have any relay or delay installed... and any issues with cluster interference or battery drain. And is it legal in FL?

**maybe those purple things are designed to only show up when the high or low beam are off? i don't know.. im just guessing. You can see it's not visible when the high beam is on so maybe that's the case... no clue... ?? **

Thanks!!!

here are 3 links to products i've found....

PIAA BULB: H7 XTREME WHITE PLUS 55W=110W (TWIN) - 17655 - DIRECT TUNING

Osram Rallye 65w Ultra High Output H7 Special-Service Bulb

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1040.jpg

BUMP

lol really - no one has any type of opinion on HID's?

I mean are the 4000K PIAA pretty close to HID at 5000 lumens but costs more than the kit i linked to the question? Im clueless... if it's close and i don't have to deal with harnesses and delays and relays and possible problems then that's cool... but I don't know if just going by the lumens is the right way to look at it. I've read all the posts i can find but nothing really discusses which is better and why...

Any help would be great... :whistle:

OK here is an opinion from across the pond(UK)

First though I am loving the Halo Lights

My gen one is a canadian import in to the UK so there is a flat beam from the low light , typically there is a Kerb side "kick" in the beam to highlight the kerb line (on our left)
I fitted a 35W 6000k kit and have noticed, less power consumption, lower temperature on the lens, less cars pulling out on me, and also a great light

I think Some people put in delays to allow you to get the engine started without starting the light twice
I deal with this by holding the start button in, turn the key then pull the clutch to start the engine
As soon as the starter button is released the light fires and all is OK

I have had no problems with the guage cluster

installation was easy, simply plugging the supply wires in to the plug that connected to the original bulb
The Ballast or firing unit is Ziptied to the air tube that sits in the
fairing under the right panel

The rules are changing in the UK this year regarding lighting so I fear its days are numbered as i have already been told that it wont pass its yearly test with the HID in place.
I want hassle free riding not spending time watching for the police,Also in europe there are heavy fines being proposed for modifying lighting by fitting HID
Possibly because they are easy to spot from the roadside

I hope this is of some help

OK here is an opinion from across the pond(UK)

First though I am loving the Halo Lights

My gen one is a canadian import in to the UK so there is a flat beam from the low light , typically there is a Kerb side "kick" in the beam to highlight the kerb line (on our left)
I fitted a 35W 6000k kit and have noticed, less power consumption, lower temperature on the lens, less cars pulling out on me, and also a great light

I think Some people put in delays to allow you to get the engine started without starting the light twice
I deal with this by holding the start button in, turn the key then pull the clutch to start the engine
As soon as the starter button is released the light fires and all is OK

I have had no problems with the guage cluster

installation was easy, simply plugging the supply wires in to the plug that connected to the original bulb
The Ballast or firing unit is Ziptied to the air tube that sits in the
fairing under the right panel

The rules are changing in the UK this year regarding lighting so I fear its days are numbered as i have already been told that it wont pass its yearly test with the HID in place.
I want hassle free riding not spending time watching for the police,Also in europe there are heavy fines being proposed for modifying lighting by fitting HID
Possibly because they are easy to spot from the roadside

I hope this is of some help

Hi from the US!! thanks for the reply... one of my choices is going with the 35 watt HID or the 55 watt HID... It's good to see the 35 is cooler and you like it. Florida is weird.... we don't even have bike (or car) inspections. I hope they don't change the law on you....and i agree - it's no fun having to scope for police the whole time you're riding..

Oh i just noticed you like the halo lights... that's cool - thanks! i didn't even notice them when i bought the bike but they've grown on me too. That's why i don't want to drown them out - but even my stock high beam does that - so i think they're kind of there to show up when the other light is on.

I drove the bike tonight at night for the first time and i really need more light. It was pretty poor. So I'm leaning HID...

I didn't know the delay was for that - but it makes sense. I really appreciate the feedback. I'm still trying to figure out the relay thing and which kit to get - AND whether to do high and low beam or just low beam (not sure which one most people do and why) ...

thanks again!!

Technically, anything that was not factory stock (like your halo lights) is illegal.

I put both high and low beam HID's on mine, with no delay, relay, etc. I tried to get the ignitors as far away from the gauges as I could. Mine are on th eram air duct. NO problems with mine whatsoever

Technically, anything that was not factory stock (like your halo lights) is illegal.

I put both high and low beam HID's on mine, with no delay, relay, etc. I tried to get the ignitors as far away from the gauges as I could. Mine are on th eram air duct. NO problems with mine whatsoever

oh ok. So you did both - that's cool. Any idea what kit you used or where you got them?

HID's are the way to go. I would never go back to a bike without them. I bought my kit off Ebay for like $25 and been running them for two years now. I did however take the bright one out and put a regular bulb in so That I would not have the delay in my pass button. I can say this. Since installing my HID, I have not had anyone pull out in front of me. Mine is 8000K which is a pretty blue tone which should bring out the Halos.

just installed the DDM 55w kit 6000k. Bikes still in garage so cant tell you how well it works but its bright and the install was really easy. So easy that im thinking of getting more kits to do my car and families cars.

I went with the McCulloch 5000 from xenonking.com. I can't recall what I paid for them back in 2007 time frame, but I replaced both high and low. If I had to do it again, I would probably just to the low beam as the high beam takes a few seconds to warm up, but once it's on it sure does light up the road. Also, the improvement on just the lower beam was enough that you really didn't need your high beam anymore. You may be a few oncoming vehicles flashing there lights at you as your will be significantly brighter than the typical bike, so hitting the high beam in return doesn't do you any good as it takes that few seconds to come up to full illuminatin. Also, I went with the lower temp as I wanted more usable light and didn't want the blue/purple look. I figured the closer I get to white normal white light look, the less chance of having extra attention from LEO. I added a time delay timer on startup just to allow the battery voltage to recover after starting so I would lessen my chances of them not igniting properly.

The bike was regisitered in FL and riding in FL for several years with the HID's and I never had an issue with LEO. I wouldn't think you would have a problem up where you are at.

i went with a 6000 low and 4300 high beam...the 4300 puts out the most light but you don't want it as a low beam as it is the same color as the sun and if you are traveling with the sun at your back, on-coming traffic is not as likely to see your headlight...the 5K or 6K is much more noticeable during the day and plenty bright enough at night

wm_normal_eureka-2008_026_001.jpg

wm_normal_eureka-2008_027_001.jpg

Do youself a favor and get the HID for at least the low beam. You can also get the high because the Gen I busa's can adjust high and low beam level independently, not so on the Gen II. Go with the 35w and somewhere around the 6k range. Ping GIXERHP for a set up. Total plug and play and will take you about 30 minutes to install. One of the best safety features you can install on your bike, and if you want visibility at night, nothing else compares.

Back