need help

superbusaman

Registered
just wondering if anyone on here is a dj? or knows anything about d/j equipment. last year a started a car cruise(and bike) at our family restaurant. since it was just an idea i didnt want to spend much money. so i used my home stereo equipment(100cd changer, reciever, and speakers)added a mic and went with it. well the mic sucked. could turn it upo as loud as it could go and wasnt very loud. so i want to still use the cd player, and my speakers. but is there something i can replace my home reciever with? that i will get better mic sound? if anyone knows anything or knows of someone on here that could help. thanks a lot!!

if you're just using a CD player and a microphone, a cheap mixer that has line-level outputs should do the trick.

The reason the microphone was so low is that mic output is very low in comparison to a line-level output that a CD player outputs. Most any mixer will have inputs for microphones as well as line-level inputs. (If you're using actual turntables, those have their own level output - phono output...getting confused yet?)

The breakdown:

The only difference between line, mic and phono output is the power of the signal.

The mixer will boost the mic output to match the CD player, and allow you to mix them together properly.

Most mixers have a line-level output that you can then plug into your receivers CD, tape, or AUX input so you can play it through your speakers...

If you want to replace your receiver, you'll need to get an amplifier (some expensive mixers will do this) and some proper speakers...

Radio Shack might have some cheap mixers. For nicer ones (more $$) check out: http://www.mackie.com/products/1202vlzpro/index.html

hey thanks a lot, so i definitely need a mixer, and if i dont want to use my receiver i need an amp. i did find this website http://rockandsoul.com/ and also i found a few things on ebay. i dont want to spend too much, just b/c i dont know how well we will do this year. basically its just to talk to the crowd and call out winning numbers. again thanks a lot.

Back