My steering is wobbling...

scooterlord

Registered
hi there guys, need your help. for absolutely no reason at all my front wobbles at around 60-80kph. it doesn't wobble very badly, but enough to scare me when leaning at these speeds.

i went today to have weights put on my front wheel, PAYED, and got it back having the same problem. i know that my front tire is old (i have it about 15.000km) but it still has 'life' on it. it handles nice, doesn't slide or anything else.

i read the service manual but i haven't hit my front wheel, or forks, or anything else. any other suggestions? what should i look for?
sad.gif

I would look at the rims closely - also, how much weight did they have to add to balance the wheel. Check your tires carefully to make sure that you don't have any flat spots, 15K (9300+ miles) is alot for tires! Look at the forks (just in case) - but also look at the steering damper.. is it leaking? While standing still turn the bars, does the front hitch? Any resistance?

Just thinking out loud...

I am not good at conversions. but if MC is right (which I am sure he is) and you have 9300 miles on the front tire.. replace the tire... it needs to be replaced..

Then see if you still have the problem..

That is way too many miles for a front tire (IMO)

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144947140 -->

Your front tire is cupped. If the guy that balanced the tire didn't see that I wouldn't let him work on anything again.
smile.gif

the tire is either cupped like BusainSD said or you might have a "bubble" in it. Meaning that it is probably old enough that the air is leaking inbetween the diffrent plys that make up the tire so you might have a "bubble" in the tread. Might not be noticable while the tire is cold but after you ride and heat it up it will be!

Yeah, for sure it's time for a new tire (or tires). But also check to make sure the wheel isn't loose.

first of all thanks for the replies guys
smile.gif

what happened next is that i went down to the guy that had the tire fixed. he took it off the bike, went and got it weighed and put it back on. the first guy was paid to do HIS job (take wheel off and back on), second guy put the weights on. so, both actually did what they had to do so i can't accuse anyone - no matter i didn't get my job done.

i know it has a lot of km on, but the tire still has 'bread' on. i mean hasnt even reached its limit (roads here in greece are sooo crappy, so not much wear on front tire, as for the back it kills it), and hasnt ever slid, nor informed me of anything going wrong... on my previous bike (cbr 600) i had both tires front and rear for 25.000km (no i wasnt a squid
smile.gif
and they worked fine...

as for the weighs added on the tire. last year i kinda crashed and my rim was bent, but had it fixed. it was straight 100% from what i could tell by its attitude. i was told that this time they got some 25 grams weighs off, some more i had lost because of speed (hehe), and they added 15 grams on one side and 5 on the other.

i had bearings, rotors, brake pads checked. as for the forks, the axle was doublechecked, was on ok, and it sounds really strange to me for the forks settings to have changed without me doing anything, not crashing the bike, not falling in a pit or anything.

...i am concerned now with what tsgt said.i dont know what this bubble is, how it can occure or how i can check this, but i noticed just now that i got back home and was cold that i didn't see my handlebars wobble. can this bubble affect the bike only in a particular spectrum of speed though?

tomorrow i'm gonna go to a friend, take the front wheel off, try another tire and see what happens.

i'm just a bit worried because it's the first 'problem' my baby is having. i know i shouldnt see it that way, after all a tire is a consumable part so i should change it. problem is i don't work atm and i dont want to spend the money i have saved. my rear tire was changed 5-6 months ago, but i was in the army back then and when i got out i'd kinda burn it. it's more worn than it should but it doesnt need to be changed. if it's this bubble thing (how can i confirm it's this thing?) should i change the tire? i mean is it a neccessity? :/

sorry for the length, but help a fellow busa-er
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

With that many km's, I'd also say that you need to replace the tire. Things happen to the structure of the tire over time and distance other than wear of the tread.

I'd get a new tire.

The bubble he's referring to is what happens when a tire starts to seperate,very dangerous situation! Check it up on a stand,give it a spin and watch it,if thats the problem,it'll be obvious,trust me on this one.:;):

well, there isnt anything actually showing on the tire...

what else could it be that is affected by temperature (well, i know tires have pressure and pressure has to do with temperature) but appear only in a spectrum 60-100kph?

anyway, tomorrow i am gonna solve my question by replacing temporarily the tire to see if it actually is a problem of the tire. but even if that's the case i want to KNOW what's wrong. i'll let you guys know as soon as i know..

A few weeks ago I had a shimmy when I let go of the bars,looked everything over and all I found wrong was a leaky oil seal on 1 fork,I replaced them both and it went away.I guess the one side had less oil in it making it shake,dont know but it stopped after replacing both seals and getting new oil in both forks.

You can't compare the mileage you got out of a tire on a 600 tgo the mileage you'll get on a Busa. Just because4 it isn't down to the wear bars doesn't mean it still has life left in it. 9,000+ miles is too many for a front Busa tire. Even if it turns out not to be causing the wobble, replace it. It will let you down if you push it too far. Not worth the risk.

Back