my quick review of silkolene synthetic oil...

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
no improvement compared to the kawa snyth I usually run.

kay, that was the quick review. now for my more indepth detail. frist, I've had my busa since 03 and ride streets, trips, and road course track days. Only pushing 40k on the odo because I added another car to my stable that takes time away from the busa. That said, I know how my bike feels. I can feel the difference tween non synth oil, and minor things like engine alignment, tire pressure, brake show wear and such - things you just grow into feeling and knowing.

I'd read a lot of good reviews of silkolene here and elsewhere, so last year I gave it a shot. I picked the right best version for my style of riding and use, ordered it [no one carries it local here] and had it put in on the next oil change, expecting a noticable improvement in shifting smootheness and gear feel. But I got nothing. No better than the Kawasaki synth my mechanic recommended after my first tune up. This guy worked at the local dealer and I could tell he had a way with bikes and much respect for them. I spent some time chatting with him and found he used to be a race mechanic in the paddock at races somewhere, and knows engines and all parts of bikes. And it showed in his quality work and how he described what he did to your bike. He recommended KawaSynth, which I assumed was for profit reasons for the dealer, but I offered to buy the best mobile 1 I could get, but he pushed back and said I would like the KawaSynth better. Since then, I have tried Mobile 1 also and gained no better feel. Anyway, I trusted his judgement and have run Kawasynth most of the time since then without trouble. It seems funny running KAWASAKI blood in my SUZUKI but it works fine.

So, after years of feeling the kawasynth in the tranny, the engine smoothenss, how the shifters feel, and all that, I put in the proper Silkolene expecting it to be better and it simply wasn't to me. If anything, I think I might notice just the slightest tad, harsher chuckiness to shifting. Notice I said the SLIGHTEST TAD... very NOT much.... nothing to complain about, just a feel really, MY feel for what it is worth.

So, I'm not sold on Silkolene, and was fully ready to spring for it's price at 2 to 3 times as much as the kawa crap, but I feel and see no benefits.

Just one guys perspective and opinion for what it's worth. I am sure it is a GREAT product and works fantastic for many people here. But I'll stick with my kawa crap since I can't tell any difference what so ever.

Last edited:
I would tend to agree... I would like your thoughts on several synthetics (I am going to say they will all feel the same)

Oil is pretty much oil IME.. the synthetics get the nod due to their ability to withstand pressures no typical dino oil can handle...

I think this usually turns in to the typical "brand loyalty" issue I suppose.. I just make sure the thing is full of what ever brand I am running :)

So on to brake fluid :)

I am switching to syn once the snow melts I bought the bike in sept with 3,700k it has 5,200 on it now.:thumbsup:

Yeah, bogus, I tend to agree, as long as there is the right amount of oil it it, things are fine. I think synth definitely feel better than dino oil, but after that slick is slick - I'm sure others will disagree with MY opinion, but it is just my opinion.

many enjoy Amsoil also. I have not tried it, but the cost per use seems a little less attractive.

The mobile 1 felt fine but if I recall was the same price or slightly higher than the Kawa [which is why I thought it would be better] and wasn't any different in my application.

I didn't compare MPG at all since I not concerned with that. Maybe that is better with some oils than others.

Honestly, I've never ridden dino oil at the track, but I am sure sythn stands up better to that pounding

the BEST demo I have ever seen between dino/syn is the blow torch act... sold me forever.. (in reference to the "pounding" oil takes) :)

When I had the ZRX1200 I noticed that, on Kawasaki's web site they listed, along with Kawi oil, Motul. Wonder if Kawasaki oil is Motul in a Kawi bottle?
Anyway, I started using Motul in the Rex and continued in the Busa. It has worked for me so far, price is competetive with most other synthetics, so I've had no reason to change.. well, other than the Motul & filter every 4000 miles.:thumbsup:

Your results are pretty much expected. But you're talking about "feel." That really has nothing to do with longevity of viscosity or breakdown over time with use. I suspect that there is a HUGE difference between a silkolene and let's say Mobil 1 if you were to do a lab test.

Your results are pretty much expected. But you're talking about "feel." That really has nothing to do with longevity of viscosity or breakdown over time with use. I suspect that there is a HUGE difference between a silkolene and let's say Mobil 1 if you were to do a lab test.
there have been a good number of lab tests done between organic and synthetic oils and with few exceptions, the oils tend to group inside a pretty narrow band of specs..

All the synthetics kill the organics in heat, wear etc and all seem to cluster around a basic set of numbers.. The same with the organic oils.. depending on who is doing the test and which tests are run, they all seem to do about the same..

I am sure there are plenty of white papers out there to verify this...

bottom line is keeping the oil full and changed probably plays a larger part in engine wear on these bikes than any other factor including oil types..

(only a few places make these products anyway and they are packaged to a manufacture spec with particular additive packages.. mostly smoke and mirrors :) )

I never used Kawi Oil so I can't compare Silkolene to the Kawi stuff but...

I used Dino for break in after that went to mobil syn...much better,
quiter engine and smoother tranny.

Went from Mobil to Amsoil and it got smoother still.

Gave Silkolene a try and Seline loves the Silk :bowdown:
she ran very slick and tranny was the best ever.

Josh was giving me a very good price at Ryder's but he left so
his replacement...didn't quite give me the same deal, cash being tight
I went back to Amsoil this last change and I notice it.

I'm going back to Silkolene regardless of price...
I genuinely notice a difference

My 2cents

Never tried the Kawi oil but it must be good stuff

there have been a good number of lab tests done between organic and synthetic oils and with few exceptions, the oils tend to group inside a pretty narrow band of specs..

All the synthetics kill the organics in heat, wear etc and all seem to cluster around a basic set of numbers.. The same with the organic oils.. depending on who is doing the test and which tests are run, they all seem to do about the same..

I am sure there are plenty of white papers out there to verify this...

bottom line is keeping the oil full and changed probably plays a larger part in engine wear on these bikes than any other factor including oil types..

(only a few places make these products anyway and they are packaged to a manufacture spec with particular additive packages.. mostly smoke and mirrors :) )

That sounds about right. I guess it's just finding the least epensive synthetic oil that keeps the bike running cool and shifting smoothly.

do you have to do anything special to convert to synthetic oil or can you just swap over yourself when changing the oil?

do you have to do anything special to convert to synthetic oil or can you just swap over yourself when changing the oil?
not that I have ever heard... just an oil/oil filter change is all I have ever done on any motor I have changed over to full/semi synthetic

I used semi synthetic before going full. But I'm stupid anyway.
I have heard good things about the semi synthetics.. the main sales point was the ability to mix with "regular" oil if the need arose.. the full synthetics I think have mostly all dealt with that problem now.. Seems to me also that someone on the board mixes dino/full synthetic on a regular basis as their regular mix..

When I had the ZRX1200 I noticed that, on Kawasaki's web site they listed, along with Kawi oil, Motul. Wonder if Kawasaki oil is Motul in a Kawi bottle?
Anyway, I started using Motul in the Rex and continued in the Busa. It has worked for me so far, price is competetive with most other synthetics, so I've had no reason to change.. well, other than the Motul & filter every 4000 miles.:thumbsup:

I use Motul as well.. In the Busa as well as the YZ 450F.. I have ridden a ZX-14 and if they make their oil as smooth as they make that bike, I would bet it is smooth as silk..... Still not willing to give up my Busa, but the 14 is smooooth... Kinda like my Blackbird, only the bird was way better looking !!!:whistle:

Never heard of a engine failing due to brand of oil, I say run what you like as long as you change it and keep it at the proper level.:thumbsup:

Back