My 2009 Revamp and Build

VIPER

Formerly known as viperblackbusa.
Registered
Figured I would start a build/revamp thread on my 2009. I will start with the base pictures as I got it. I have done a bunch of tear down already so i will just dump a bunch of pics here now. Plan is all new plastics, complete retune, new tires, rims, turbo gauges, and I just discovered the fork seals are shot on the left side of the bike really badly. So more to come as I do things.

20211126_100528.jpg

20211126_100543.jpg

20211126_100557.jpg

20211126_100645.jpg

20211126_100702.jpg

20211126_144004.jpg

Today I ordered a new shorter kickstand, a full fairing kit, a full fairing kit bolt and grommet set, new passenger pegs, new rear brake master cylinder, new rear brake fluid holder, front fork rebuild kit, and a new front windscreen. I'm still trying to decide I'm what mirrors I want to run with as well. I think I might have to replace the front brake pads as well due to the fork leaking for a while. And I may replace the rotors as well haven't decided yet.

I'm still scouting around and sourcing rims. I'm looking into the apex gold anodized rims. They look to be priced right around $2,500 for the set. Then I will have to buy sprockets still.

That brings into question the shoes that I need to put on those rims. I'm really looking at the Diablo Corsi lll. Thinking 200/55zr17 on rear and stock size on front. The bike is lowered a decent amount so I want to use the little bit taller tire on the rear to give it just a little bit more pitch forward.

I'm working on scheduling the time to go spend 4 days down south around Houston Texas and hang out with Rob down there. Do a complete retune, eliminate the PC5, new spark plugs, and put the 4 lb spring back into the turbo. It will still be tuned on e85. At that time I will also hopefully replace the fuel pressure gauge and the turbo gauge with needle gauges. I prefer those over digital.

So question, the foam on the stock fairings. What purpose does it server other than vibration control i assume? I dont think the foam offers any heat shield type qualities that i am aware of. Let me know if i am wrong. I will try to source it so i have it on hand anyway, but i was curious.

Also if anyone has any input on my tire selection i would love to hear it. I am not opposed to other options both size and brand. I have never run this brand before. Im looking for good stick in corners, but also decent life expecting more wear from the turbo and throttle hand.

So question, the foam on the stock fairings. What purpose does it server other than vibration control i assume? I dont think the foam offers any heat shield type qualities that i am aware of. Let me know if i am wrong. I will try to source it so i have it on hand anyway, but i was curious.
The foam is covered in that reflective metal coating and is for heat reflection.

Also if anyone has any input on my tire selection i would love to hear it. I am not opposed to other options both size and brand. I have never run this brand before. Im looking for good stick in corners, but also decent life expecting more wear from the turbo and throttle hand.
A Dunlop Q3 front will stick and corner great. A Q3 rear is as good, but stock Busa torque will eat it up quickly.
Use a Dunlop Roadsmart 3 for the rear instead, a sport touring rear(the sport front and sport touring rear is an old Tufbusa trick) I ran several Q2 and RS2 combos on my Busa, and the front and rear wore out evenly.
You may have seen this picture of one of my Roadsmart2 rear tires.
They grip incredibly well on the street, and I had as much confidence in the RS as I did the Q's.
Of course turbo power will eat tires, and anyone that says Shinko hookup, clearly only dragraces.

SDC11477 (1).JPG

SDC11210 (1).JPG

A Dunlop Q3 front will stick and corner great. A Q3 rear is as good, but stock Busa torque will eat it up quickly.
Use a Dunlop Roadsmart 3 for the rear instead, a sport touring rear(the sport front and sport touring rear is an old Tufbusa trick) I ran several Q2 and RS2 combos on my Busa, and the front and rear wore out evenly.
You may have seen this picture of one of my Roadsmart2 rear tires.
They grip incredibly well on the street, and I had as much confidence in the RS as I did the Q's.
Of course turbo power will eat tires, and anyone that says Shinko hookup, clearly only dragraces.

View attachment 1644549

View attachment 1644550
No way an RS grips like a Q on a dry road brother.

No way an RS grips like a Q on a dry road brother.
That's Not what I said...you even highlighted it.
And no; how could a sport touring tire have the grip of a sport tire...especially the same brand?? It cannot.
I said I had the Same Confidence in the RS as I did the Q's(it had Q's on the front...no chicken strips on them either)
Those tires are on a 550+lb pig too, not 120lb lighter 1k that can dance over bumps more(not debating suspension).
You DO see that tire too, right?
Does It look like I was confident in it??
Looks like it stuck ok, doesn't it?
Wanna see the front?? :poke:

That's Not what I said...you even highlighted it.
And no; how could a sport touring tire have the grip of a sport tire...especially the same brand?? It cannot.
I said I had the Same Confidence in the RS as I did the Q's(it had Q's on the front...no chicken strips on them either)
Those tires are on a 550+lb pig too, not 120lb lighter 1k that can dance over bumps more(not debating suspension).
You DO see that tire too, right?
Does It look like I was confident in it??
Looks like it stuck ok, doesn't it?
Wanna see the front?? :poke:
OK, I just equate confidence with grip. My bad.

OK, I just equate confidence with grip. My bad.
lol, no problem.
I actually agree too, but I can't run anything but sport tires on the front(of any bike), that's where control is and I want maximum grip.
The RS's stick suprisingly well for what they are.
The rear actually felt a little more stable than the Q's too(on a Busa)from it's weight, as I run the Q's hot 32-36 on good roads, so Busa weight gave me more sidewall flex at lower psi.
That was never a problem either, just a small thing I could feel.
With your bike set-up and skill level, I'm suprised you haven't tried a sport/sport touring tire combo.
But, as you're coastal, maybe you don't get as many miles on twisties per set of tires as you would like?? As that's where that combo shines, for both tires to wear out evenly.
Q's got me 2k-2300 miles on a front
1k-1200 on a rear. The rear RS got me 2k-2200ish miles of hard riding.

I am thinking i am heading to quicktime with my machine after the first of the year.

Anyone with experience with them? i have heard good things and chatted with them on the phone already. They are in st louis and way closer to me than texas for sure. I would value any input from you guys. Any of you st louis guys have any feedback?

Back