Motorcycle Airbag - Timeout for a little humor

It was getting a little tense around here so I decided to post this actual article:

TOKYO, Posted 8:14 a.m. July 16, 1998 -- Airbags are proven to save lives, so now most new cars are installed with them. But what if you ride a motorcycle?

There is a report this morning that an inflatable airbag jacket is the latest in motorcycle safety equipment.

The jacket is designed to automatically inflate if the driver is thrown off his motorcycle. Compressed air cylinders inflate when a line attached to the jacket is pulled.

It was invented by a man who is motorcyclist himself, because he knows his mode of transportation can be dangerous.

The airbags go on sale this month for about $280. But for now, it's only available in Japan

Hmm, mentally visualize a full body Aerostitch suit ballooning up suddenly to three sizes greater in diameter than it had been a minute ago as one flies through the air. Gotta wonder what the bounce factor on that would be.

Turbo, this product was actually invented 85 years ago in France by Bib the Michelin Man, who now wears it fully deployed all day...just in case.

Just like those Japs to take credit for someone else's invention. You know...the transistor radio, hand buzzers, torture of political prisoners...

Actually I had not heard about them being used on bikes, I should imagine bouncing down the road in an inflated vest would be dangerous for anyone that saw you, they could die laughing !! But I do know that these are seriously used in some construction companies now, they are designed to inflate when a worker falls a distance of greater than 2 metres.

Don't laugh that is what the safety Czars want to push on the European motorcylist first which would also include leg protectors,crash bars like the Harley riders have,bright fluorescence orange,green,yellow vest,leg brace.Guess who's next after the European motorcyclist are forced to wear and have those safety devices?How do you say USA, at least you have a choice of colors on the vest!!!

Hahehaehahh

Bulldog, that one was perfect. Can't keep a straight face when I visualized that one.

On a more serious note . . . I hope such things aren't forced on anyone. anything like that could do just as much harm as good. Let's see . . . you want to get hurt with method A, or method B?

Super Dave Osborn from HBO was the test pilot for the product years ago, it just shows how much red tape you have to get through even in Japan to release a new product.

I've invented my own version, using a single layer of bubble wrap, which you velcro to the outside of your leathers. I'm trying to solicit FalconCop and Toobad to do 100MPH crash testing so I can get DOT approval. If they survive testing, I'll market my version for $9.99 with a late night infomercial.

[This message has been edited by Turbo (edited 05 October 1999).]

i certainly dont want do be wrapped in some inflatable , no-doubt hotter than hell bubble jacket on a saturday night rolling through town in search of somthing sweet to bless my back seat.

Back