More fuel problems

Cpt_Caveman

Registered
Alright guys, so here’s the situation I’m going through. I recently bought an 06 with 6000 original miles. The previous owner had it for three years and only put on a total of about 100. He let it set up for about a year with a bad fuel in it, before finally draining the tank. Since then, it’s About another six months with no fuel in it. I change the spark plugs which were terribly black and fouled out. At first, we couldn’t even see a spark. Replaced the battery as well. Now, the bike will start as long as someone holds the throttle to hold it up to about 1500 RPMs. Anything below that and it will choke out and die. We tried taking it out on the road, and it just seems like it’s getting no power in high revs either. It seems very much like it’s a fuel problem, causing it to run lean. Bike has a full exhaust and power commander on it, which we have disconnected to verify that’s not causing any issues.

Fuel pump will prime every time and seems to have no problem, however I have no way to check pressure. With as long as it’s sat, I would think it’s clogged injectors which sounds right. How would I diagnose bad injectors versus a dieting pump, and if the answer sounds like it’s injectors, can someone point me in the direction of a professional to clean and test them, or a set of not overly expensive replacements?

No Fi codes being thrown either.

Thanks for the help.

First I would start off with checking the fuel filter. The fuel pump may prime under no load and stop priming once it makes set pressure, but once you start flowing to the injectors the fuel pressure may drop and that may be your problem. ( I think you can just pull the filter as well and put it back together before purchasing a new one to test it, but double check first).
If you replace the fuel filter in the tank and still have the issue, then move onto the fuel pump itself as you would have just been in there and it's an easy swap out.
After that the injectors. You can get your injectors ultrasonically cleaned and they will flow test them before and after to give you results to prove they were cleaned. I think MPS does this and maybe Schnitz racing can help. Some local performance shops may also do this.
I haven't checked the pricing on replacing an internal fuel pump compared to getting the injectors done, but you may want to swap the order of approach if cost is an issue. I'd also double check to see how much new injectors would be compared to getting yours cleaned. Just a thought if you get to that point.

With all that said, my be bet is on the fuel filter.

labor shop rate is 100 bucks an hour... probably find the problem in a hour..... maybe less from a GOOD shop... food for thought before u go ripping into the bike further... unless ure supremely confident

I have no idea why, but for whatever reason hayabusa’s do not tolerate sitting up for long periods in comparison to other vehicles.

With that being said, anytime someone tells me they’re having idle/drive ability problems after saying the bike has sat for a few months, the first thing I do is tell them we’re gonna send the injectors out to be cleaned. 9 out of 10 times, the flow sheets come back with reduced flow, or crappy spray patterns. This is more then likely your problem. After new injectors are in, if it seems to be falling on its face high rpm, then the fuel pump is on its way out as well.

This is pics of a gen 2 that just arrived for a turbo. This is the wort I’ve seen. But the gen 2 injectors tend to gum up even faster because they’re “capped” at the end. The tiny spray holes gum up fast and kill the spray pattern. The carbon build up on the intake runners is from fuel spraying every which direction instead of down at the back of the valve. Then it sits in the runners and evaporates, turning to carbon/gunk build up.

Much like the morning after pee, after a night of playing with the mrs... lol!!!
C2288B68-0605-4B26-997F-A52DCA214299.jpeg

FB07BEE4-18DE-494D-A413-26CF7180CE38.jpeg

6FD78875-CC06-4FA1-81F5-D6F7161D82FC.jpeg

Back