MLK B-Day & Obama Inauguration

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Today is an amazing day in America. Today we will celebrate two great Americans who looked past the struggles of their day and reached for a better vision for this country and then made it happen. Our country has always relied on great men and women to be a catalyst for change, as drivers to the evolution of this country.
When Barrack Obama saw the possibility of a black man being president even relatively well-off minorities like myself didn’t think it was possible to achieve. Barrack’s election showed that Americans can rise to the words written by our founding fathers centuries ago. His second election, against very difficult opposition, shows that America is committed to a new direction.
MLK’s civil rights movement and Obama’s inauguration represent defining, transformational moments in America’s history. I know many here will not agree with me on this one, but it’s hard to argue this is not a historical moment.

It is and you're right. I think MLK would be proud that today is occurring but I also think if he were alive today he would not be an Obama voter. MLK was as religious as they come and I don't think he'd approve of all the attempts to remove the word God from everything or prayers from school.
This is a day to be proud as an American. Today is a true expression of freedom. Even if it is just a facade and show we are still the best nation on earth and I'm proud to be an American on days like today. I may not agree with him or his policies but I will stand and salute the office and the man who holds it.

God Bless America.

It is and you're right. I think MLK would be proud that today is occurring but I also think if he were alive today he would not be an Obama voter. MLK was as religious as they come and I don't think he'd approve of all the attempts to remove the word God from everything or prayers from school.
This is a day to be proud as an American. Today is a true expression of freedom. Even if it is just a facade and show we are still the best nation on earth and I'm proud to be an American on days like today. I may not agree with him or his policies but I will stand and salute the office and the man who holds it.

God Bless America.

I disagree. I think he would be a supporter of Obama. I've never seen Obama push any legislation that address prayer in school or anywhere else. I may have misses it and I'm sure others will chime in and let me know what I missed if I did. MLK would applaud Obamacare as well.

i just wished they cut back so much on cost of doing this Inauguration and use that money for better things this country needs... i was listening to cnn for a while and they spent about an hour talking about fashion and hair style and what they are wearing:whistle::whistle:
sad sad sad..

I just wish our first black president was a CONSERVATIVE. A lot of people looked past the color of his skin to vote for him, as it should be.

However, I also believe that a lot of people voted for him strictly because of the color of his skin. To deny would be naive.

I dont think there is much to disagree with about that. im not a fan of Obama but so what. I am a fan of MLK tho.

yea im sure a lot of people voted for him purely because he was black and have no clue about politics but id bet there are just as many that voted for Romney because he is white....:poke: but lets face it Obama didnt get into office purely on the black vote. thats just not mathamatically possible considering blacks only make up 13% of the population.

Remembering all MLK did for so many in this nation...he will always be a beacon of hope for a better life for all citizens in this country... :thumbsup:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Today is an amazing day in America. Today we will celebrate two great Americans who looked past the struggles of their day and reached for a better vision for this country and then made it happen. Our country has always relied on great men and women to be a catalyst for change, as drivers to the evolution of this country.
When Barrack Obama saw the possibility of a black man being president even relatively well-off minorities like myself didn’t think it was possible to achieve. Barrack’s election showed that Americans can rise to the words written by our founding fathers centuries ago. His second election, against very difficult opposition, shows that America is committed to a new direction.
MLK’s civil rights movement and Obama’s inauguration represent defining, transformational moments in America’s history. I know many here will not agree with me on this one, but it’s hard to argue this is not a historical moment.
:thumbsup: Well said.

While this is a historic event, I hope as the President he makes meaningful changes our country so desparately needs. What will his legacy be? The highest unmanaged national debt in history, failed healthcare reform? I am not saying this is his fault so dont quote me: But it seems we as a nation have come to believe that others owe us for something we didnt work for. This nation needs leadership, we need to preserve conservative values and bring industry back to the states, we need to reduce unemployment. We need to bring our troops home and spend money HERE for schools and education. We need to get our country healthy and quit being so polically correct with the rest of the world. We need to be self reliant in many ways, including oil. I am not a tin foil hat kind of guy, but he could do so much more. Dont get me started on gun control....

Whats the historic value? We've elected presidents before, we've celebrated mlk day before, we've had a "black" president before (if youre the sort of guy that means something to). Sorry but I disagree with the huge significance of today.

Whats the historic value? We've elected presidents before, we've celebrated mlk day before, we've had a "black" president before (if youre the sort of guy that means something to). Sorry but I disagree with the huge significance of today.

But we've never inaugurated a black president on MLK day.
So that makes it extrasupercalifragilstic special and historic. :)

Why is black in parenthesis? He's not black?

God Bless America.

No MLK would be an OBama supporter.

I just wish our first black president was a CONSERVATIVE. A lot of people looked past the color of his skin to vote for him, as it should be.

However, I also believe that a lot of people voted for him strictly because of the color of his skin. To deny would be naive.

The first Black President could have been Colin Powell but the right shot him down before the primaries.

Also, that maybe true, but I don't think you understand. I black man making it to the presidency is reason enough for a black person to vote for him. Also, what choice do we have? Nothing on the right that's for sure.

While this is a historic event, I hope as the President he makes meaningful changes our country so desparately needs. What will his legacy be? The highest unmanaged national debt in history, failed healthcare reform? I am not saying this is his fault so dont quote me: But it seems we as a nation have come to believe that others owe us for something we didnt work for. This nation needs leadership, we need to preserve conservative values and bring industry back to the states, we need to reduce unemployment. We need to bring our troops home and spend money HERE for schools and education. We need to get our country healthy and quit being so polically correct with the rest of the world. We need to be self reliant in many ways, including oil. I am not a tin foil hat kind of guy, but he could do so much more. Dont get me started on gun control....

I was wondering how many posts would go by before gun control was mentioned........:whistle:

Guess I am the sort of guy that means something to. :thumbsup:

Back