MFA Oil Poker Run to benefit Ronald McDonald House and MU children's hospital

Excursion05

Registered
MFA Oil Poker Run

If anyone is in the mid-Missouri area and wants to participate in a fun event for a great cause and possibly win some great prizes set aside Saturday June 7th. Details are at the link above. I know there are a lot of great causes out there but I've had personal experience with both of the beneficiaries of this event. Although I didn't stay at the Ronald McDonald house in Columbia, MO I did have the need to stay in one in St. Louis when my oldest son was in the Children's hospital there for a video EEG and other tests. This was for 4 days almost 200 miles from home. Fast forward 12 years and I was staying in the room with my grandson at MU Children's hospital when he was hospitalized for respiratory issues during the first year of his life. At that time I lived in town but didn't want to leave him alone. The staff not only understood but supported and encouraged my wife and I to stay as much as we wanted to / were able to.

Both organizations are class acts and provide great service to families when they need it the most.

One more comment. I worked for several years for a McDonald's owner whose three stores were all hundreds of miles away from the closest Ronald McDonald House and was always frustrated when people didn't feel like they should support anything that wasn't in their town. "That's in St. Louis (or Springfield, or Kansas City, etc) I don't want my money going out of town." The truth of the matter is that's the whole point. It was those very people who could someday need the services the Ronald McDonald house offers. As the slogan says the Ronald McDonald House provides a home away from home for parents of children who are hospitalized and need a place to stay. If you are far enough away that you can't go home and sleep in your own bed at night and can't afford to spend a week, or sometimes, much more, in a hotel or motel you can really appreciate what the Ronald McDonald House has to offer.

OK, rant over. There are some great prizes to be won at the Poker Run, sign up and have some fun if you're in the area.

Awesome cause! We experienced the RMH first hand a few years ago. I give back by cooking there a few time a year to help out. I hope this event is a huge success!

Back