Metzeler Sportech M-1's

EAKbusa

Registered
I am looking to purchase a set of Sportech's for my Busa but I seem to recall that they make a Busa specific version. Is this correct? I called Parts411 and they say there is no mention of it in their Metzeler Catalog and have never heard of it.

If there is no special version, I guess I am good to go right? Any compaints about these babies? I am looking for a slightly more sticky tire than stock without gling to extremes as I cannot afford to replace tires twice a season. The stock BT-56's slip too much for my liking. I NEEED GRIP!

Diablos are my second choice. HPX's are too expensive and are being replced with Pilot Powers anyway (not available yet but certainly also expensive).

I love them and they do make a Busa specific. look at discountmotorcycletire.com. The designation for the Busa is Sportec M-1 P. P is the designation for the tire. I have had them for about 500 miles and love them. They heat up fast and stick like there is no tommorrow.

Man this is weird. Parts411 says they don't have 'em and never heard of 'em. Discountmotorcycletires.com has them as does DennisKirk.com but both places are too expensive compared to Parts411.com. So then I check Metzeler.com to get the scoop - surprise surprise , no mention of them AT ALL, NADA.

What gives? Are these a special tire that is no longer offerred? Does the standard M1 not work for a Busa or is it unsafe or unsuitable for such power/weight? This spooks me somewhat. What is the deal? I want a good tire but not one that is not rated for a Busa's power.

Funny enough, Pirelli Diablos have a similar situation except for the Corsa version. They do not list the Busa as a suitable bike for the tire yet they do list it for the standard version. What gives? Are they afraid of the Busa, afraid of getting sued?

Am I going to have to get HPX's? At least they are specifically for large machines like Busa's but take to long to heat up (they do last a long time though). God forbid I get another BT-56. They are not so sticky

I am running the Sportec's and they are pretty awesome, I dont think I asked for the Busa specific type when I got mine. I got them from a local shop for like $220 total, about what I would have paid online for them with shipping except I had to pay taxes. I will double check the type tonight and let you know.

Hey EAK, lol I just ran across this topic and I have went through the same EXACT thing today.. I recalled the M1's having a specific P rated tire made for the Busa too. I called Ron Ayers, parts411, and numerous other tire places today before I ordered. I also went to several websites including Metzelers..   Every tire place I contacted or checked out have not heard of or did not carry the designated "P" M1's for our Busa. I went ahead and ordered a rear 190/50ZR17rr M1 for my Busa today from www.parts411.com for $140.56 shipped to me in Ohio so I am hoping the "P" doesnt mean anything.
rock.gif

Here is the topic I asked this question in today:

For what little its worth... I've been running the Sportec M-1s for the last 30,000 miles. Just the regular (ie non busa specific) ones. Great grip rain or shine. 5-6k outa the rear.

I got the HPXs; you are right, they take about 10 mins to warm up. I love em, once warm they stick extremely well. When they are cool, they dont. I leave lots of darkies when I first start riding... I dont pussyfoot around, and they have not failed me....yet. So far, they have 6,000 kms and they are at half tread. I love the long treadwear they have.

I wouldn't be so quick to toss aside the "P" rating on this one. Don't know what the impact would be on safety or performance but I believe it has to do with speed. I will watch this thread for a definitive answer as I love the look of these tires and am considering them for when mine need replacing. Nice to hear everyone is satisfied with it though!
smile.gif

I run the M-1's with no P (I think..) and it works for me and the terrible Greek streets (no grip there, thank you very much..). Will put it to work a little harder this June in Italy (much better grip, awesome scenery.. Italian Alps, the west coast.. can't wait! ).

I am looking for a more track specific tire later at autumn when I will be attending the California School with my busa.. The M-1 has a "round" tire crown which makes ok for everyday riding, while for better and easier cornering it will take a more "agile" crown. Certainly not the M-1..

Well to help out here on the difference it is the speed rating. I read that on metzlers site. The P rating is for 185+ MPH and designed differently for the power of the Busa. I have a set on mine and absolutely love them.

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH LOCAL DEALER HERE THAT DOES ALL MY MAINT.
HE SAID THERE IS A "P" TIRE JUST FOR THE BUSA. WITH THE METZLERS.

from the link above.. metzlers site.

Even with its superb handling and grip, Sportec M-1 has
exceptional durability
• Very quick “warm upâ€￾ period for outstanding grip from the
start, even in the wet
• Precise and perfectly balanced handling
• New tread design for maximum grip and water clearance
at all lean angles
• Ultimate control in high or low speed cornering
• Superb high-speed stability
• Available in P spec for the Suzuki Hayabusa
SPORTEC

Everyone talks of the M1's, but does anybody run the M4's besides LoBusa?
rock.gif
I'm getting ready to buy tires for mine and I think I'm going with the M4. If the Metzeler is as good as everyone says and I am satisfied, I will stay with them. My next choice will either be the Michelin HPX or the Pirelli Diablo's.

Brian

M4's are a good choice for a recreational sport rider or sport touring but not sticky enough for hard-core sport riding so they are not for me.

I give up. I am ordering the standard versions Sportec M1's. I do not need the 185+ rating as i will not go that fast ever (call me a wuss) and I am very light also (145lbs) so I should be fine. Maybe next set I will go with Diablos or the new Michelin Pilot Power (when they come out).

Back