Merry CHRISTmas!

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I realized something about CHRISTmas many of you may already know. Or maybe you don't really know it but are affected by this anyway. Or maybe you don't know and are not affected by it. I tend to believe the second sentance. Please read back. Ok. Now, anyway, I wanted to mention this obvious observation to help point out something very important in our daily lives from age 1 to 101, and it is this: CHRISTmas happens once a year and no matter who you are or what you do or are doing, it affects you deeply the same way. That way is how it was programmed into you in childhood. Now, CHRISTmas as an older person, 22, 44, 65 years old, will STILL make you become that child who got up at 5:30am and wondered out to the blinking CHRISTmas tree in your jammies with little feet on them and your eyes bugged out and you got a big smile looking at all the presents Santa brought to your living room overnight. Then four hours later after ODing on Saturday morning cartoons, you get the uphoric pleasure of ripping open those packages and adding to your toy collection.

Now, whether you choose to believe it or not, I feel for this one day a year, you get to revert back to being a child EVEN IF IT IS ONLY HIDDEN INSIDE YOURSLEF for no one else to see. It is STILL part of the pleasure and treasure of CHRISTmas.

Now my observation is this: Why do you only allow yourself that guilty pleasure on CHRISTmas? True that day is extreme amounts of fun compared to other 'normal' days, but that doesn't mean you have to put that child-like excitement about life back on its shelf until 364 days later. I guess what I am saying is, there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why we can't be grown ups and still enjoy the parts of being a child at the same time. Some will describe life in STAGES or PHASES where you move OUT of one and INTO another: childhood > teens > adulthood > elderly..... but I say it is ADDITIVE: childhood > childhood&teens > childhood&teens&adult etc.
You don't sudden forget everything you were in grade school, high school, college, or whereever your path has gone. It is ALL still there jsut waiting for you to unwrap it like a CHRISTmas present to yourself, everyday you wake up. We are a combination of all those previous experiences, and there is no reason to not still enjoy whatever we want from the good parts of those experiences.

When was the last time you went to a roller skating rink?
When was the last time you slept on your back deck in a sleeping bag star gazing, listening to a portable radio until the batteries died?
When was the last time you and your wife made out in a car?
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU BOUGHT YOURSELF A TOY? Now, adult toys are similar and most 'guys' have that action down.... ladies? ? ?

So please, as a personal request from me, please realize that the fun and joy that CHRISTmas brings up inside you, is something you ALWAYS HAVE in your heart, ready to pull out every stinking day of your life. Why wait until CHRISTmas when it is 'Politically Correct' for you to access it?

You are all that. You have not become a man or woman and moved AWAY from all that, you have encompassed it into who you are today.

Here's one of a 1000 examples I'll give about someone not quite comfortable admitting she was still a child. We were dating a while and got into some conversations about childhood. She had always enjoyed coloring and kinda missed it's pointless [to adults] exercise. At 34 years old, I dragged her into Toys-R-Us , we bought a couple coloring books and a box of crayons, and spent the afternoon drinking soda's, coloring, laughing and talking. We had a BLAST and probably learned more about each other than many married couples. She was mortified at first, but then came to realize that we hadn't left playtime permenantly, we just forgot or ignored it .... or were told to GROW UP.

Remember: life is ADDITIVE no PHASED.

Someone's sig [forgive me I forget who] says it pretty well:
George Bernard Shaw: We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. playing.bdm.com

smile.gif
thumbs-up.gif

The Wife and I kinda do this... All year we just occasionally surprise someone or one another with something we thought they would like...

Oh and WWJD... Just remember, CHRISTmas isn't about CHRIST... It's just been twisted around for conveniance sake... The Romans were very good at something, and that was incorporating other cultures and their beliefs into a nice conveniant NutRoll...
laugh.gif

Oh Oh and ask Mrs. Revlis about taking my silly Butt to Target and trying to get me away from the Hot wheels, or whatever...

And SuperBalls?
rock.gif
Remember those? They still kick butt, big diffference is that now we can afford A BUNCH!!!

My husband has MASTERED never growing up...that's not a bad thing because he's the biggest kid at heart and his two sons love him dearly for it...I think they can "relate" more...
biggrin.gif

WWJD, great post...after my grandfather passed away earlier this month, something in me changed and I've really, I mean REALLY, been taking time to sit down with my kids and play more, laugh more, just have fun more...it's been a life saver for me...and shows me that it's okay to be a kid most of the time...actually, kind of getting hard for me to be an adult at work lately...whew, thank goodness my boss never grew up either!
tounge.gif

As a sign of the kid in my husband...I present his latest invention...
...drum roll please...

I present the only "fabricated in the garage with his new welder" car lift for those cumbersome, oversized race car beds my kids love so much...

Complete with stripes, sirens, lights everywhere, a control panel, buzzers...

Aw, you get the idea?! He pretty much made what he knew HE would love to have, both as a kid and now, at the tender age of 37 (ouch honey, forgot it's your birthday today)...
tounge.gif

This was NOT a Christmas thing...this was a "I can't wait for my boys to see what I've made them" thing...

Happy to say, Mom loves it too!
biggrin.gif

bunkbeds1.JPG

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

haha, michelle, that's the sweeted bunk bed i ever seen! I always wanted the 'race car bed' when i was a kid.. NICE!

Nice post, WWJD
smile.gif

Rev, it will always be spelled CHRISTmas... so... what are ya gonna do ? ?
smile.gif
What's up with the Hotwheels section?
rock.gif
I cruise thru there all the time loking for new cycle miniatures!
biggrin.gif

Charles, you KNOW it's not about money... what did you used to really enjoy as a child? I used to play in those big refridge boxes: airplane, spaceship, amrybase, moon base, race cars... and still do that sans the boxes: real airplanes, space suit [motorcycle leathers], paintball/online 2ar games, NASCAR/cycle racing etc. I think society would lock me away if I was playing inside big boxes now... but there shouldn't be anything wrong wtih that
smile.gif

That IS cool VABusa!!! Ya know, if they made a RACE CAR bed in a king size I really would have one! I looked once... they don't.
smile.gif
I'm glad you are thinking about living more. It does take a conscious effort to do that. Phrase that fits is:
No one on their deathbed says, "If only I could have worked one more day..."

There's a diff in retaining childlikeness and immaturity... don't think we need to get into that. Everyone here is pretty intelligent that I can see. Holding on to adult wisdom and wonder of a child is the best of all worlds!!!

smile.gif

smile.gif

Here's one of a 1000 examples I'll give about someone not quite comfortable admitting she was still a child. We were dating a while and got into some conversations about childhood. She had always enjoyed coloring and kinda missed it's pointless [to adults] exercise. At 34 years old, I dragged her into Toys-R-Us , we bought a couple coloring books and a box of crayons, and spent the afternoon drinking soda's, coloring, laughing and talking. We had a BLAST and probably learned more about each other than many married couples. She was mortified at first, but then came to realize that we hadn't left playtime permenantly, we just forgot or ignored it .... or were told to GROW UP.
WHAT!! You blew it! You should have hit the sex shop and scooped up the bodypaints!!

This is what happened when I tried to play:

I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Very insightful WWJD. I can feel ya on what you're saying, but those people who can't seem to distinguish between the child and adult phase just gets on my last nerve...
biggrin.gif

Are they shaven balls? Clean? Squeaky clean? And soft too? Aah yes....the memories..
wow.gif
laugh.gif

Back