Lost my Virginity to the Cabot Trail - Pic.s inside

JusPlaynBob

Registered
Thats right,
I've lived in Nova Scotia all my life, over 45 years, and I'd never seen the Cabot Trail.
Tuesday I looked at the Weather Network, and noticed the weekend was going to be just an incredible opportunity for a ride.
But, where to go?

I called the usual suspects but, none were either able, nor interested, in a trip to C.B.

As usual, I was going to have to solo it. So Friday at noon, it packed some clean drawers and a pack of gum, and my Mastercard and headed for Baddeck. Arriving at St. Ann Motel at 5:30.

I was pleasantly suprised by the view from my room.

click on pic.s for larger view

Bay St.Ann

009.jpg

Getting up at 6:00, I hit the road just before 7:00.
The first 30 or so kilometers are aweful. An absolute embarrassment, considering that the Trail, is supposed to be the Provinces greatest treasure.
But once you get to the bottom of Smokey things change.

Having been through the White Mountains of New Hampshire this past July, I'm embarrassed that I hadn't been around.
I had no idea that we had this in our back yard.

This trip was purely selfish, and all about the ride, so there are few pictures.
I'll be going back soon and with the Wife hoping to share what I just discovered this day.
I got back a suppertime tonight. This trip is no big deal, time wise. Every enthusiast should be doing this trip at least a couple of times a season.

Here's those pic.s 8)

Wreck Cove

013.jpg

Ingonish range

017.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

022.jpg

Pleasant Bay

023.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

There are a couple of desktop pics right there. Thank you for sharing those!

Felt like I was there. What were the temps like?

The whole trip around, from Baddeck up and around back through Cheticamp, Port Hood and Port Hastings took me about 5 hours. (By rights it should be about 8 considering the posted speed limits )

I went counter clockwise, to be on the outside lane so as to have bigger lines into the turns. Since most traffic goes clockwise, the counterclockwise lane is nearly empty. The drawback is that, the scenery looks better going clockwise.

The morning temperature was about 69 degrees, quickly warming to the low eighties by mid morning.

I could have taken a thousand pictures, but this time I just couldn't get off the bike. This was the most amazing series of roads I had ever experienced.

Spend some time googling and You Tubing, the resourses are limitless.

I'll be going again in the fall to capture the leaves changing color.

Thanks for looking.

Nice in Cape Breton isnt it!!:thumbsup:
I go a couple times a year:laugh::laugh:

Are you going to Wharf Rat Ralley in Digby??:thumbsup:

pictures_of_Nova_Scotia_075.jpg

No Never had.
I'll be coming back in a few weeks with some of the "Boys".

But, I now know that a three and a half hour ride will get me to there.
This will happen several times a season.

You know this trip has changed my decision about seliing the bike.
This trip was suppoesed to be the last thing to check of the list, before considering either getting a cruiser or even a convertible.

Now the deal is sealed. Once a Sport Rider, always a Sport Rider, I guess?

Good to get to me you Ken.
Next time your cookin', and there will be Beer involved.

:beerchug:

Back