looking for hardcore engine information

I'm hopeing To get some information on the engines in the hayabusa and figure I can find some knowledgable people around here, so thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
I am thinking about undertaking a build project on a turbo charged bike and am wondering what pitfalls are in store for me in regards to the limitations of the bike and stock components. so first off where do the stock components (both engine and driveline) lie in regards to horsepower levels, I know that stock pistons and rods are good to moderate levels but I will be looking to go past that. where are the next weak links and what are the amature mistakes that get made. I have a fairly good background with cars and turbo work, but am unfamiliar with this engine and would like to circumvent some of the road bumps if this project comes together, so I need an idea of how to break down the build-up and come up with a parts list to figure out a ballpark dollars and cents comitment that it will take for this. also which model years offer what in the way of better parts or weaknesses to watch out for. I know this is a tall order but I'm sure it will make for som interesting discussion. people with first hand knowledge are the best source of information and professionals in this area would be a great resource, but hearsay, advertised boasts, and my buddys bikes... will keep it interesting as well
oh yeah engine displacement is limited to 1350??????cc
life should be interesting after 200mph
Thanks

Welcome to the oRg, lots of turbo builders on the board. I cant help you because I dont know the answers to your questions, but someone will be along shortly to help you out. Glad you found us. :beerchug:

I have seen a few with well over 500 hp...probably 32 psi of boost or more...im sure alot of motor work

:welcome: A good place to start may be w/ Greg at HPC. He is a board sponsor and has experience in big engine Busa's.

I am certain the guy you get your parts from will guide you correctly. Most guys unless they copied a proven build...learned from trial and error or in some cases build and boom to get their current recipe that works. What your attempting is pretty simple. Stock bore turbo bike. Rods, Fluted & balanced crank, CP or JE Turbo pistons, HD valve springs & retainers, stainless valves, light hand porting, upper and lower studs, thicker base and head gasket, HP oil pump gear and regulator, if money is no worry beef up the tranny and you will need a better clutch set-up.............then find a proven turbo kit......RCC works very well................. :whistle: Take the lumps......and try something new. There are a bunch of other little things......

Last edited:
:welcome: A good place to start may be w/ Greg at HPC. He is a board sponsor and has experience in big engine Busa's.

Link no longer works

Thanks, I am too still learning but I am fortunate enough to have the volume to keep the learning process crisp. :beerchug:

Last edited:
How much do the coatings on a piston help?

Skirts, top, and under the dome? For cooling and keeping the oil off the underside...

thanks for all the posts but am still looking for a bit more information. does anyone have any proven setups that they are willing to share? dyno sheets and numbers etc.

Here are two stock bore set-ups as listed above mildly at 10 & 18 PSI capable of 32-35 psi....max power numbers are confidential. :beerchug:

Mild boost settings...

EdFoy18PSI-1.jpg

StageIITurboZX-14.jpg

Last edited:
nice, I am definatly interested in try a few new things that are popping around in my skull, I am just looking to not reinvent the wheel on some of the known pitfalls. which bikes are the better choice for engines running in the high boost range the gen 1 or gen 2 stuff?

Back