Long Beach bike show tidbits

OB_ROR

Registered
From the Long Beach Motorcycle Show this weekend:

My impression of the new Busa colors. Gorgeous. Both of 'em. (But I'm really happy with my black beauty.)

Explanation from the Bridgestone tire rep: The BT56J Hayabusa tire is a 3-ply carcass instead of the standard 2-ply Battlax carcass. Also instead of a dual compound tread (harder in the center, softer on the edges) it has a single compound, harder only. Both of these features are to withstand the heat generated by sustained high-speed riding on a bike that heavy. Running at lower air pressures, about 35 psi, instead of owner's manual 42 psi, will cut tire mileage about 20% but probably stick better. But use the higher pressure if two-up, or unusually heavy or carrying a heavy load.

Riders who ride hard in the canyons, or do track days, should try the SS model, which is a 2-ply race-oriented street tire with the same load-carrying capacity of the BT56J and sticky rubber. It costs the same as the BT56J. He thinks its as good as Dunlop 207s, but not as good as Michelin Pilots.

From the Dynojet Rep: K&N is about to come out with a replacement airbox for the Busa, for K&N filters. When they do, Dynojet will post a new fuel/ignition map on the web for its Power Commander II.

And he explained the fundamental difference between Power Commader II and the Yoshimura box, which I have never understood. The Yosh box permanently alters the fuel settings of the bike's electronic control unit. The Power Commander II does nothing to the ECU but instead intercepts its signals, applies its own corrections according to whatever map is in use, and forwards the altered signals on to the devices being controlled, i.e. fuel system AND ignition system (which Yosh box doesn't alter). That's why it is critical that a bike that has been altered with the Yosh box be reset to factory settings with the Yosh box before a Power Commander II is installed. Otherwise the PCII will be starting with unknown changes in the incoming signals and its alterations can't possibly result in what was intended.

The PCII design also insures that all the corrections built into the ECU computer, such as for altitude and temperature, are passed right along without being suppressed or overridden.

So what should I expect the PCII to do for me with my Two Brothers slipons? Better acceleration, but no change in top end, he said. And cleaner running at the low end.

My impression of the ZX-12R: Really ugly mirrors. Really nice windscreen. Tank is a lot narrower, but the fairing below the tank seems just as wide as the Busa. Weight feels about the same, but really hard to tell sitting there. The airscoop isn't as obtrusive as it appeared in the pictures, especially on the red bike. Riding position seemed about the same, and the seat felt good. Would I trade? Not a chance.

How many more bikes would I like to be able to buy? Oh, at least two or three per manufacturer.

Sorry I missed you guys, I was there from about 3 to 5 today. I agree about the ZX-12 and its mirrors, that is the one thing I would change right away. Other than that it is a very nice machine, but the mirrors are like big bug antennae. The intake scoop is not unsightly at all as far as I am concerned.

Y2K Busa colors are nice, not better or worse than the '99 colors, just different. The Hayabusa graphic is kind of hard to see on the red one.

Too bad we didn't bump into each other. I was there from about 11:30 to 3:30. I was wearing my Hayabusa.Org t-shirt. I met an owner from San Diego. 7k miles, on his 3rd rear tire (stock), Heli bars (loves 'em), Zero Gravity Sport Touring screen (loves it and stable at high speed).

I saw the ZX-12 at the show, Nice bike, but I like my Black Busa better even IF the zx-12
is faster. One thing about the busa it is different if you love it or hate it. Alot of
the other japanese bikes at the show seemed to have the run of the mill styling

Big Indian you are right about the smallness of these motorcycle shows in the U.S.A. it all boils down to money and the price gouging some of the promoters do on the little guys that sell aftermarket stuff.We use to have a big one at the Cow Palace in South San Francisco and now we have it at San Mateo,but I guess it's better than having no shows at all.I can't wait until the San Mateo show which will be Dec.10-12 and alot of my friends will be there.Ride safe

Guys I missed you there Saturday:
I was there with my shirt on and at the
Suzuki booth. Sorry to have missed you all. I think the new Busa colors are okay,
but I am in love with my Copper. I pull up to places and park, and I can't get over how many people look at it and comment
what a beautiful bike it is. Many are people that are not riders.
The ZX-12 is nice, I do like the windscreen, agree about the mirrors, but
wouldn't trade. I like the unique styling
of the Busa. I wouldn't want to buy a
ZX-12, because it looks like an overgrown
ZX-9.
The show itself was a not as big as I hoped. I was spoiled because last year
in Jan. 99, I saw the Busa for the first time
in London, England , at their International
show, at Albert Hall. Wow, the Brits get serious about their sport bikes, and bikes in general. The energy at their show was
many times greater than what I experienced Saturday at Long Beach.
The biggest difference was the lack: in
number of vendors and accessories. I hear the cost for a booth there is really high, and that discourages many.
It was good to be there even if I was a little disappointed. Whenever I have the time to see and talk motorcycles that is just great.

Lots of good info in that post regarding the show-especially about the tires. I had both tires replaced before doing a track school. At the school it seemed the bike was cornering well and had more feel than before. I noticed that my new tires were NOT the J version which didn't bother me too much since I am not into high speed craziness on the roads(as opposed to the track). Prior to the tire change the bike felt weird in corners and very "hard". Pretty vague but after reading your post it dawned on me that the non J tires are probably better than the Js for cornering since they have the softer edge compound. Next tires for me will be the Pilots. Maybe next summer when the 200 is available. That K&N airbox also looks interesting. I'm avoiding doing any airbox trimming or the like, so a new predesigned airbox might be the way to go for me.

Thanks for the info on the 2k colors. The wait is making me crazy.

Thanks for the info on the 2k colors. Also ROR thanks for the scoop on all that stuff. The wait is making me crazy.

Lyle, I know how you feel, I had to wait 4 months for mine and it felt like the end of the world, especially after reading these guys everyday. Hope you get it soon :)

Lyle at least you know what you are buying, as a lot of us did not ever see a Busa sefore we recieved them (excludeing pictures).

There was a time when this site had only 13 members, Wow how some things besides time fly's around here.

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 29 November 1999).]

Dam my first double post. Sorry 'bout that guys. I thought I was smarter than that. Guess not.

Lyle I sure understand the exquisite torture you're going through. I twisted in the wind for 3 months last winter waiting for mine...and it was made all the worse because I didn't know whether the dealer would get enough to give me one. I was reading everything I could find, buying stuff in advance, learning technical stuff, day dreaming, planning trips, hunting the net for Hayabusa rumors like a starving wolf...

It's better than the day before Christmas when you're 5 years old!

The only thing better is delivery day. The only thing better than delivery day is when your speedo rolls past break-in. And the only thing better than all that will be the day it dawns on you that you've become totally at home and at-one with your insanely competent Hayabusa!

I hope that just once more in my life I'll order a machine that gets me going while I'm waiting like the Busa did. I sort of envy you.

Enjoy...

I was at the show Saturday. That blue busa was killer. I did not think it was very brite on leaving the tail piece on why people got on and off of it scratchin the hell out of it with their shoes. I got me a pair of those "Z" deer skin gloves to they are sweet. I also wanted to sit on that RC51 but that was on the turn table; bummer!!! I was there with the shirt on where the hell was everyone else at? I wanted to meet a few of my comrades and commence to thrashin the ZX-12. What is up with them mirrors?

Your Sandog rep

"Bird of Prey"

Sounds like we have the same sickness Pete. I have already bought a tank bag, some extra tools, new bungie net, extra helmet. I even cleaned out the garage for her.(1st time in 20 years). We need psychiatric help bad.

The Philadelphia bike show isn't until January. Bummer

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 30 November 1999).]

Back