L.E.O's personal audio recording device

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
My sister had an "issue" with a neighbor some time back. Police talked to her, as the officer left her house to talk to the neighbor, Supervisor told him to turn on some kind of recording device in his pocket.

I guess to keep what she/they said accurate?

Is the recording admissable in court?

Is this now standard?

Thanks, John

We use the Coban system, it's a digital camera system with a hard drive, and yes it has a mike.

Any officer with any sense will run his video and audio when in contact with the public. Things are just that bad.

My sister had an "issue" with a neighbor some time back. Police talked to her, as the officer left her house to talk to the neighbor, Supervisor told him to turn on some kind of recording device in his pocket.

I guess to keep what she/they said accurate?

Is the recording admissable in court?

Is this now standard?

Thanks, John

It depends on the state you are in. In Oklahoma it is legal as long as at least one party in the conversation knows it is being recorded. In this case the officer knew as he was doing the recording. Otherwise a court order is needed.

I was recording some contacts working as a LEO 15 years ago. It was not uncommon then and I'm sure it is much more common now.

It depends on the state you are in. In Oklahoma it is legal as long as at least one party in the conversation knows it is being recorded. In this case the officer knew as he was doing the recording. Otherwise a court order is needed.

I was recording some contacts working as a LEO 15 years ago. It was not uncommon then and I'm sure it is much more common now.

Interesting, Thanks:thumbsup:

personally if i was a LEO i would want to have anything i said recorded. that way nobody can come back and say something like "well he said he was going to give me a ticket if i didnt have sex with him" or something.

personally if i was a LEO i would want to have anything i said recorded. that way nobody can come back and say something like "well he said he was going to give me a ticket if i didnt have sex with him" or something.

Why wouldn't you have sex with him? :laugh:

We carry microphones on our person. At the discreet flick of a button, we can remotely turn on the video system in our cars. I won't have you on video unless you're in front of my car, but I will have clear audio of our conversation. It's my department's policy that we be "hot" whenever we encounter the public. It's cut down drastically on false complaints against officers, so most of us love the system.

We carry microphones on our person. At the discreet flick of a button, we can remotely turn on the video system in our cars. I won't have you on video unless you're in front of my car, but I will have clear audio of our conversation. It's my department's policy that we be "hot" whenever we encounter the public. It's cut down drastically on false complaints against officers, so most of us love the system.

Interesting, cooool, keeps it real for everyone:thumbsup:

Oh, we've had some crazy complaints, too. A while back a black woman complained that an officer used a racial slur against her numerous times. She didn't know she was on video. Guess who was using the racial slurs? HER. The officer was completely professional at all times.

I am in the process of converting my tapes from 14 years ago over to digital. When I get some done I will post them and you can see specifically why I had a body MIC and a camera in my car.

Documentation in multiple forms is the way to go...leaveing no room judgement or intrepertation...it is what it is.

Till you tell the bad guy to "Eat Hood"...and that never happens.

I am in the process of converting my tapes from 14 years ago over to digital. When I get some done I will post them and you can see specifically why I had a body MIC and a camera in my car.

Cool, would be interesting to see/hear:thumbsup:

Video doesn't lie
to the contrary, it can be very misleading... sometimes things can still be taken out of context.. I think all interaction should be recorded..

If you watch some of the dash cam stuff off police cruisers and then you get the "rest of the story" later, you will see what I mean.. I think LEO's put up with a lot of garbage from people that could use a day or two in lockup...

Last edited:
The video works to protect both parties to an extent. It can disprove false claims against the officers, as well as catch the officer if they are being abusive. While it should not be the sole media for proving guilt or innocents, it is a tool to help keep things on the level.

Back