Khashoggi murder

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
In Saudi, criticize the leadership and either the person disappears (not the first time this happened), or gets murdered.

In the US, at one time or another everyone criticizes the leadership, makes fake news, insults, etc.

While I think the Khashoggi deal is terrible, should we not be a bit more respectful towards those serving the country in leadership positions?

Respect and criticism are two entirely different things. Respect for an office is one thing, while respect for the person holding office another thing altogether. Over the course of the current and previous presidencies for example, there has been a dramatic change in what is seen as acceptable rhetoric. Criticism of government policy is at the very foundation of American values. It is literally the first modification to the founding document.

Respect and criticism are two entirely different things. Respect for an office is one thing, while respect for the person holding office another thing altogether. Over the course of the current and previous presidencies for example, there has been a dramatic change in what is seen as acceptable rhetoric. Criticism of government policy is at the very foundation of American values. It is literally the first modification to the founding document.

Freedom of speech, criticism and redressing grievances are OK. But character defamation, insults and destroying lives in the public domain are not OK. Somehow I think we have found a way to use the first amendment towards destroying a human being without breaking the law.

Freedom of speech, criticism and redressing grievances are OK. But character defamation, insults and destroying lives in the public domain are not OK. Somehow I think we have found a way to use the first amendment towards destroying a human being without breaking the law.
I cannot, unfortunately, disagree with you on this. As a culture we are in the midst of, and have been for quite some time, a removal of civility, based in no small part on the actions of our elected leadership. I think this is magnified by a virtual dearth of the teaching of critical thinking in primary and secondary education, the echo chambers of social media, and the insidious nature of those who who rule rather than govern. Please note that I am not suggesting that these problems are unique to any specific portion of society, rather these are the rot at the foundational level that permit manufactured divisions to gain so much traction.

Can you explain what this means?

“rather these are the rot at the foundational level that permit manufactured divisions to gain so much traction.”

Manufactured divisions?

Can you explain what this means?

“rather these are the rot at the foundational level that permit manufactured divisions to gain so much traction.”

Manufactured divisions?
These problems, the lack of civiity etc, are not confined to any specific group. They apply equally across the board. It's become popular to suggest that people who have different views on things are somehow deserving of this degradation, simply because they don't agree.
Manufactured divisions refers to the "otherness" that is harped upon by political leaders in particular, when in reality we have far more in common with one another than we don't.
Hope that helps.

Back