K8 Busa => 2nd Class Citizen?!

The Busa isn't being manufactured for just the Kenny Roberts, or his son, Kenny Roberts junior crowd. If that happens, then the Busa will become too expensive and it will pass out of existance just like the poor mans sports car, the Datsun 300ZX. Remember that. And just for exactly the same reason, how come you don't do this ,how come you don't that, until the car was too expensive and their customeer base couldn't afford the car anymore. Be careful what you wish for. And as far as tires that work well under all conditions, there is no such animal. Check out Nascar sometime. I don't know about anybody else, but when it starts raining I have no desire to go fast any longer. I instinctively slow down and allow myself room for maneuvering and braking.
The Harleys average price is $20,000.00. How many Busa's do you think they would sell at that price? Look at the trouble they're in now. Well that's my two cents. Personally, I think $14,000.00 OTD for a vehicle that will go 200 MPH under control is wonderful.

Jim

The Duc 1098 lists for $15K, not $40K. And the S model is only $20K.

I think WC brings up some valid points, especially when the '08 is a second-generation bike. I'd understand if the B-King didn't have the upgraded technology, or if the Hayabusa wasn't in its second generation. But they did miss some opportunities--especially with the brakes; it's the only thing I really noticed moving from my Duc to the Busa. Not a big deal to me, since I don't ride at triple-digits, but it was noticeable.
Ducati Prices

Use the drop downs at top of page to look at various models...
2008 1098S MSRP $19,995
2008 1098R MSRP $39,995

and they have one more model that sold out in "pre-production" that is the race "replica" that sold out at $70,000

Other people have lots of money huh?

70 grand and sold out before production. Just like Ferrari's.

r8

War, yep, didn't even catch the extra "0", thanks on that one. Yes I know I was proving your point, but at the same time, just trying to state my opinion on why it is that way. Thanks for the read. I know your hellbent on the brakes suck issue, so I simply wont comment about them anymore. I've read the reviews, mostly yours, and will adjust the available parts line-up to match yoru recommendations...for me its that simple. When asked what I'd offer for braking products, my answer will be EVERYTHING
smile.gif
I already have the calipers, lines, pads, and rotors, just need to sort out which Brembo radial MC to use, probably the same one's John and Brendan are running, IIRC 19x20?

I think its fine for the $$$.. all the other bikes are much more $$$(even B-king is higher by a few $K). For the price($11k Out the door normally) the performance per dollar is fantastic...all these brake add on doodads aren't that expensive or hard to get so I don't see the reason for sour grapes.

The funny thing about brakes, everyone has their favorite, so if Suz added the upgraded stuff and bumped the price $1500 bux, a bunch of guys would still be putting on the aftermarket stuff anyhow. Suz just saved you a bunch of $$$.

I have ridden Gen 1 Busas we have in the shop(we have about a dozen) and all of them have stock brakes. They all are horrid compared to my 08. Even out SuperStreet 05 Busa bike has stock brakes. the thing does 191 in the 1/4. We have never had a problem stopping it, and it is much less braking than the Gen 2 bikes.

All in all, were doing A-OK. Sure those fancy Ducatis have all the High zoot roundy round doodads..they better for $20k and up. thats almost double what the 08 Busa costs.

War, yep, didn't even catch the extra "0", thanks on that one. Yes I know I was proving your point, but at the same time, just trying to state my opinion on why it is that way.
It's all good, Charlie. As far as I'm concerned, it's always a good thing to hear someone else's opinion on a K8 subject. I am certainly willing to hear it... I may have a right fair amount of exposure to high-performance bikes in a number of riding environments, but this is my first Busa, so I'm constantly on the lookout for another perspective.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
I already have the calipers, lines, pads, and rotors, just need to sort out which Brembo radial MC to use, probably the same one's John and Brendan are running, IIRC 19x20?[/quote]

The 19x20 sounds familiar... once installed, I am keen to hear if you have any clearance issues upon full lock left-turns. I am already striking the upper right dash piece with a Pazzo lever when the steering is fully locked to the left, and I was hoping that after the Heli-Bars were installed, I would have completely clearance. Sadly, this did not prove to be the case. Even with the Heli-Bars, the Pazzo berake lever still strikes the upper right dash piece, albeit not too badly.

Red arrow below points to the strike point.... it touches, but not horrendously so:

BrakeStrikePoint.jpg

War, I had the rubbing issue with my levers on the 05', I just rotated the levers position upward slightly, which also reduced wrist strain while riding. Clocking them up just a hair made a nice comfy feel.

015s are bridgestones top tire, so what else they meant to put on it.

In New Zealand the 015s grace the 07 gsxr1000, 750,600 as well as the 08 busa i just picked up 08 busa up, i did change make the dealer change them on the spot to PP, but that was personal perference, since all 4 bikes in family all run PP. The reason the b-king runs dunlops i am lead to believe that bridgestone don't make a 200 wide rear tire at this point in time.

More on the Beemer grips, do tell.
rock.gif
Yes, these are standard Beemer "Sport Grips", which we in the Long Distance/Iron Butt community have found to be the single best handgrip you can install that have the following two benefits:

1) The naturally-tapered fit coupled with the ribs (that run perpendicular to the bar) feel just so perfect. The ribs are thicker (concentrically) the more outboard they go, which allows for an very forgiving, comfortable resting place for whatever weight you put on the outer portion of your palms. Yet the inboard part of the grip is somewhat thinner so that you have maximum tactile feedback during sensitive throttle movements... a critical factor if one is doing some, ah, high-performance maneuvers in tight chicanes.
whistling.gif
cool.gif

2) At the risk if re-igniting the fan-boys
sadnews.gif
.... most realistic owners know that the Busa does unfortunately have a noticeable amount of vibes, particularly in two RPM ranges: 4000-4500-ish RPM, and again at 6000-6500-ish RPM. These BMW Sport Grips do a rather unbelievable job of absorbing/quelling these vibes to an amazing degree. They don't totally eliminate them, mind you, but they do reduce reduce to a much more tolerable level. Aiding the cause are some larger, heavier Bar End Weights (though the stock K8 end weights are pretty damn substantial in their own right). The one I am using here are the "Top Gun" end weights marketed for the Yamaha R1 and FJR. They are normally a brush satin stainless finish; I have powder-coated the ones you see here a gloss black.

i just picked up 08 busa up, i did change make the dealer change them on the spot to PP, but that was personal perference, since all 4 bikes in family all run PP.
I know what you mean... I did wait 500 miles before I dismounted the Stones (after the rear end stepped out a couple of times) and mounted up a set of Pilot Powers. For me, it was a instant improvement in front end feedback and overall confidence in the chassis. The Bridgestones have ungodly stiff sidewalls compared to the PP, Qualifiers, etc, and this is likely a contributing factor to the "wooden" feel it has during extremely cold ambient temps.

I do plan on mounting the BT-015s back up next summer.... triple-digit temps and bone-dry pavements are obviously going to make a whole new ball game for them.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
The reason the b-king runs dunlops i am lead to believe that bridgestone don't make a 200 wide rear tire at this point in time.
[/quote]
Actually, they do, but not in the BT-015 version.

Bridgestone does make a 200 rear tire in the BT-014 variant....a 200/50-ZR17, if I recall correctly.

C'mon, gentlemen.... half of my post was tongue-in-cheek; obviously, all three items can be taken care of simply by dropping some coin. Hell, tires need replacing after a couple thousand miles anyway.....

That's not really the point. At all.

The point is: why didn't Suzuki go the extra mile and put the premium hardware on the K8 to begin with, if it's truly the "flagship" model?  
dunno.gif

That's a rhetorical question.... I realize Suzuki has throngs of Tokico calipers and old-style master cylinders to go through in their parts bin. They are used on several of their models.

This is a cost-savings measure. Plain and simple.

Though it does make one wonder why they didn't feel the need to apply this "cost-savings" to the B-King....  
rock.gif
Because the Baby Boomers aren't sucking the Sports Bike market dry...also, like others have said, I think Suzuki is holding back a full upgrade until they see what Kawasaki's reply to the '08 is.

Warchild.Do you have a sight where we can pick these grips up?Or is it a BMW dealer only item?
They are available at any Beemer dealer, true, but I got mine at FJRGoodies.com, located in Prosser, WA.

They are not as horribly expensive as most Beemer parts, though they are not loose pocket-change either. Still, if you ride your Busa a lot, the ROI is substantial.

Warchild I want to put pazzos on my 08, does rotating the control prevent the contact with the body panel?

Warchild I want to put pazzos on my 08, does rotating the control prevent the contact with the body panel?
Yes, it does. Substantially so.

Standing on the right side of the bike, facing inboard toward the throttle-side clip-on, you rotate the lever assembly CLOCKWISE, so that the lever is angled a bit more downward, and the result is no clearance issue whatsoever.

Here is my Pazzo Brake lever now, with the bars fully locked toward the left:

PazzoClearance.jpg

Thanks to CHARLIE for reminding me to do this... this was simply a couldn't-see-the-forest-for-the-trees deal for me, until he pointed out the obvious...
thumb_up.gif

It looks like the B-King is Suzuki's new cash "cow" so it's getting all the better parts this year. Obviously they just think the Gen II Busa is merely an upgrade.

Back