Jinks' suspension settings- RIDE REPORT

chain

Registered
I just got back from an hour long shakedown run with Jinks' suspension setting suggestions.

Before I lend my impressions, here are the numbers...

Stock settings

Fork preload: 5 lines showing (8 lines full soft; 0 lines full hard)
Fork rebound damping: 3 clicks out from full hard
Fork compression damping: 9 clicks out from full hard

Shock preload: 15mm thread exposed above lock collar (est.)
Shock rebound damping: 11 clicks out from full hard
Shock compression damping: 8 clicks out from full hard

Jinks' recommended settings

Fork preload: 1 line showing
Fork rebound damping: 3 clicks
Fork compression: 2 clicks

Shock preload: 19mm (close as I could get to 18mm
crazy.gif
)
Shock rebound damping: 10 clicks
Shock compression damping: 7 clicks

My observations

The bike's ride height is noticeably increased, front and rear. It no longer has a long and low appearance. Frankly, it looks more like a sportbike inasmuch as the ass is up in the air some now and the fork slider is visibly exposed to a degree it wasn't before my fiddling.

No one else is around to help me out today, but I was able to put my bike in my Baxley Sport Chock and at least measure the exposed portion of the fork slider with a zip tie and tape measure.

According to Jinks, the magic number for the busa is 3.449 inches exposed fork slider, laden.  Mine measured 3.375 inches with me on the bike in full leathers, back protector, boots and helmet.

So my bike is over Jink's magic mark, but barely over it, only over .074" as a matter of fact...close enough, I believe, to warrant retention of my stock fork springs.

How's it handle?

All exaggeration aside, it's a different motorcycle. It might not have gone from an FZ1 to a GSX-R750 in terms of handling prowess, but my busa honestly feels 50 pounds lighter and steers significantly more quickly now.

The bike used to wallow; it now rails.

Hitting the same stretch of freshly paved second and third gear twisties not far from my home, I was able to heel the bike way over and scrub the tires virtually all the way to the very edge. My observations about increased ride height were spot on, as I didn't touch down the fairing or the peg feelers, but again, the bike was over much farther than I could have gotten it w/stock suspension settings.

Check out the attached pic.  The tire isn't heavily abraded, but it is rolled clear out to the edge.  I don't think you can get busa rubber scuffed any farther living in Nebraska unless you go to MAM (which I'll be doing again in three weeks).

Jinks, thanks for your help in the other thread, and feel free to comment on the observations and measurement I've provided.

<!--EDIT|chain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115715269 -->

IMG_0261.JPG

Pic of the obviously "longer" male sliders....

And a quick edit: I'm 210 pounds w/o gear, FWIW.

<!--EDIT|chain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115713646 -->

IMG_0265.JPG

I knew you'd love it Chain and yeah...I forgot to mention...getting the suspenders set-up proper does give the bikes geometry a more aggressive attitude as it sits stouter both front and rear which causes about a 3/8ths inch rise in seat height...stands like a thoroughbred sportbike should and corners like a cat.

Nice ride report Chain...and as I'm certain your confidence levels are up now so be careful Roostering up on that track day...these suspension settings will help you immensly but don't get to carried away and keep the shiney side up brother.

BTW...just got home and my traxxion 1.1's where laying at my doorstep...time to get wrenching.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115714698 -->

...oh now that some one has tried it, I think I'll get it to my mechanic soon and check it out!!
biggrin.gif

I'll put in my report once its done Jinkster
wink.gif

I just got back from an hour long shakedown run with Jinks' suspension setting suggestions.

Before I lend my impressions, here are the numbers...

Stock settings

Fork preload: 5 lines showing (8 lines full soft; 0 lines full hard)
Fork rebound damping: 3 clicks out from full hard
Fork compression damping: 9 clicks out from full hard

Shock preload: 15mm thread exposed above lock collar (est.)
Shock rebound damping: 11 clicks out from full hard
Shock compression damping: 8 clicks out from full hard

Jinks' recommended settings

Fork preload: 1 line showing
Fork rebound damping: 3 clicks
Fork compression: 2 clicks

Shock preload: 19mm (close as I could get to 18mm
crazy.gif
)
Shock rebound damping: 10 clicks
Shock compression damping: 7 clicks

My observations

The bike's ride height is noticeably increased, front and rear. It no longer has a long and low appearance. Frankly, it looks more like a sportbike inasmuch as the ass is up in the air some now and the fork slider is visibly exposed to a degree it wasn't before my fiddling.

No one else is around to help me out today, but I was able to put my bike in my Baxley Sport Chock and at least measure the exposed portion of the fork slider with a zip tie and tape measure.

According to Jinks, the magic number for the busa is 3.449 inches exposed fork slider, laden.  Mine measured 3.375 inches with me on the bike in full leathers, back protector, boots and helmet.

So my bike is over Jink's magic mark, but barely over it, only over .074" as a matter of fact...close enough, I believe, to warrant retention of my stock fork springs.

How's it handle?

All exaggeration aside, it's a different motorcycle. It might not have gone from an FZ1 to a GSX-R750 in terms of handling prowess, but my busa honestly feels 50 pounds lighter and steers significantly more quickly now.

The bike used to wallow; it now rails.

Hitting the same stretch of freshly paved second and third gear twisties not far from my home, I was able to heel the bike way over and scrub the tires virtually all the way to the very edge. My observations about increased ride height were spot on, as I didn't touch down the fairing or the peg feelers, but again, the bike was over much farther than I could have gotten it w/stock suspension settings.

Check out the attached pic.  The tire isn't heavily abraded, but it is rolled clear out to the edge.  I don't think you can get busa rubber scuffed any farther living in Nebraska unless you go to MAM (which I'll be doing again in three weeks).

Jinks, thanks for your help in the other thread, and feel free to comment on the observations and measurement I've provided.
sounds like something I might wana try, Can you break it down a bit for me, Not sure which is which on the adjustments.

where can i find a break down of these settings? i saw a post which encompassed pics as well. can anyone hook me up with the link?

I have to ask the obvious: Why in hell doesn't Suzuki offer to do this adjustment themselves when you buy the bike??

I want to do it too but I don't have the tools on hand. I'd ride the 50 Miles to a dealer if I thought they knew how to do it right. I suspect they don't.

Does anyone foresee a reason that these settings would not work equally as well with if the bike was 1"lower all around??

I am just about ready to lower her, but don't want to lose too much rideability.

Mr. Jinks? Any opinion on this?

Thanks-

Corso1

Did the Jinkster adjustments last year and haven't looked back..

Huge improvement..Nice one Bill

In Jinkster's original post, he suggests 4 clicks out for the fork compression setting. You set yours 2 clicks out. Which is the better setting?

BTW, I just set my bike up as per Jinkster's settings, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet. So far, I can tell a HUGE difference in stiffness just by sitting on it. There's definitely some increase ride height, and decreased sag going on now. Can't wait to see how she does in the twisties!

<!--EDIT|JDookie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142651768 -->

I have to ask the obvious: Why in hell doesn't Suzuki offer to do this adjustment themselves when you buy the bike??

I want to do it too but I don't have the tools on hand. I'd ride the 50 Miles to a dealer if I thought they knew how to do it right. I suspect they don't.
Because it isn't a sport bike. Its a sport tourer. The gixxer is made to take the turns, the 'busa is for handing someone their hiney at the strip. Try drag racing it with those settings. Not saying that the 'busa isn't a curve carver. I use mine for that as well. Just saying why Suzuki didn't set up the suspension like that.

Ok,
I have a couple of questions. One of them is going to sound dumb, but it won't be the first one that I have asked.

1) How will those settings affect the bike if you have 3 hole dogbones in the middle hole? <<<<< Dumb one

2) Is there any negative affect on distance riding (I commute 156 mils round trip for work)?

Don

BTW 6'2" 260lbs

Don,

I am the exact same height and weight as you, and will be riding my bike tomorrow morning for the first time with the new settings for about 150-200 miles or so. If I go, I will post back and let you know.

Because it isn't a sport bike. Its a sport tourer. The gixxer is made to take the turns, the 'busa is for handing someone their hiney at the strip. Try drag racing it with those settings. Not saying that the 'busa isn't a curve carver. I use mine for that as well. Just saying why Suzuki didn't set up the suspension like that.
What will happen if you try drag racing it with these settings? Will it lift the front wheel easier or something?

Don,

I am the exact same height and weight as you, and will be riding my bike tomorrow morning for the first time with the new settings for about 150-200 miles or so. If I go, I will post back and let you know.
TY JDookie,
If ya don't mind blast me a PM as well, so that I remember to look at the post.

Thanks

Don

What will happen if you try drag racing it with these settings? Will it lift the front wheel easier or something?
Launching it will be a nightmare. It would definitely wheelie easier. For drag racing you want your rear tire to "squat" and the front to transfer weight easily. If too much weight is up forward, the rear tire might spin and if too much goes back then the front comes up. So if the whole suspension is real stiff, hard launches will be difficult. But for the twisties its awesome. Haleluah for the adjustable suspension. Just set it to whatever you feel like doing that day.

<!--EDIT|Wolfman
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142716432 -->

Back