Is this tire safe to ride on?

Taken off of Dunlops website..

12 - Tire Repair

Some punctures in motorcycle tires may be repaired.
Dunlop recommends only permanent plug-patch repairs of small (maximum 1/4-inch diameter) tread-area punctures from within the dismounted tire by a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle dealer. Never perform an exterior repair and never use an inner tube as a substitute for a proper repair. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after repair, and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph. Advise your customer to check inflation pressure after tire cools for at least three (3) hours following run-in, or sooner if air loss is suspected. See the Dunlop Service Advisory for additional motorcycle tubeless-tire repair information. Follow the same repair procedures for tires on rims requiring tube replacement. The repairer is solely responsible for the repair and any instructions to the repaired-tire user.
Advise your customers that no form of temporary repair should be attempted because secondary damage caused by a penetrating object may not be detected and tire or tube deflation may occur at a later date.
Dunlop does not recommend the use of liquid sealants. These are a form of temporary repair, and they may adversely affect ply material and mask secondary damage caused by a penetrating object. Advise your customers that reliance upon sealants can result in sudden tire failure and accident.

I've done it twice, and both were successful. I plugged the tire, it held air for another 5K miles, and had no issues. If the mushroom plug won't work, you'll know the very next day. Then you must replace the tire. Both times my nail was very skinny, so it worked out fine.

My First Flat 001.jpgMy First Flat 011.jpgMy First Flat 013.jpg

My First Flat 001.jpg

My First Flat 011.jpg

My First Flat 013.jpg

No I wouldn't repair it, I'd buy a new one.

If I repaired a tyre it would play on my mind every time I'd rode the bike.

you don't want to just plug it or just put a patch on the inside, there is a very specific piece made for motorcycle tires called a patch plug...i've ridden thousands of miles using these and have never had a single problem (vman1300 was the one who showed them to me)...pull the tire off, push the plug through the hole from the inside, and cut off the extra sticking out after the patch has adhered to the tire...here is a pic of a couple of them

IMG_0353 (Large).jpg

I plug/patch them sometimes. I'd replace that one though. If you've ever seen the inside of a sport tire, you know it's not very meaty in grooves of the tread. In the thicker part of the tire, I'd go for it and just take it easy until I replaced the tire. That's just me. Everybody has to decide for themselves what risks they're willing to accept.

It is better that it happined in the thread. I would remove the tire and use a patch instead of a plug, if you do that it will probably be fine for the life of the tire. I have plugged bike tires but wouldn't recommended it if you do any high speed runs, patch you should be fine.

Brand-new 2011 Busa, bought a couple of weeks ago... I have a tad over 400 miles on it and that's after a ~200-mile ride this past weekend. I get home and find this in my rear tire:

Busa-Nail-In-Tire.jpg

Called the dealership to ask about patching the tire and got the "Sorry, the State of Texas does not allow us to patch motorcycle tires - too much liability"...

Sweet :banghead: - I guess a new tire is in order? I figure the simple fact that I have just a hint of doubt about the safety of a patch then maybe I just bite the bullet and buy a new tire? Hard to gauge from this thread but it seems there is no middle ground - folks either believe in it or do not....

If anyone want's to ship me there tire's with a small nail in them I would be happy to pay shipping. I've used the patch plug's with great result's on two rear's so far.

If anyone want's to ship me there tire's with a small nail in them I would be happy to pay shipping. I've used the patch plug's with great result's on two rear's so far.

How about used motor oil? I heard you can run it thru a coffee filter and its like new again:rofl:

Plug it from insideout and ride it. I rode tires like that to the cords, properly plugged it will hold just fine, modern tires are not easily destroyed. Of course tire manufacturer will tell you to buy new one.

Dont ride with it like that. I would recommend a new tire or slightly used tire. Even with a tire patch kit, I still would not trust it.

How about used motor oil? I heard you can run it thru a coffee filter and its like new again:rofl:

Not sure your comments are helpfull.

As for OP as a experienced mechanic I have seen several patched tires that have had thousands of miles on them. Follow the rules of having a plug is important as it changes the speed ratings of the tires.

I personally change out tires if they need plugged the superstition of it has me.

If you patch it it will work but make sure they burn the patch on like rubber vulcanization. You could always try to sell it and get some $ back out of it. The hole is in the grove so it don't touch the pavement and not close to wall of the tire.???

Back