Interesting article on motorcycle fatalities statistics from NHTSA.

IMG_0011.jpeg

The Incredibles Cape GIF

Last edited:
I had a decade off in my 40's and coming back I read a lot of stuff online to make the reunion safer. One page was on the major causes of accidents
1/ Alcohol and drugs
2/ speeding away from the police
3/ youth/inexperience
I can't remember the rest but it was a good confidence boost knowing I didn't qualify for the worst ones. I bought the 1100 and for the first month I rode it nearly every day after work around a fixed circuit near home, a mix of light traffic and a short mountain twisty section. After that I rode over to Mt Gravatt, a narrow twisty climb on Brisbane's south side and I rode up and down several times every other day for a week. Then I felt ok about tackling the wider world. practice makes perfect, or at least gives you a good edge. It was probably overkill but I'm not dead like ol Darrel or lost a leg yet like 'hop'. Serious business riding, and serious fun too :D

I think we all go through stages of feeling our motorcycle mortality. When we have a death like SCAR's or DON's those really make me aware that no matter how long we've ridden, how safe and sound we think our ride decisions are, we are still way more vulnerable than we lose site of as we go forward in our rides. We get a little relaxed and complacent as we rack up miles and years. I don't think I ever relax on a bike. I just find a zone where I feel I can anticipate easier. It's relaxing, but in a therapeutic escape sort of way.

And yes the Busa is deceptively relaxing as you effortlessly click through 130MPH without it even giving you the slightest protest.

I don't drink anything alcoholic when I ride. Period. Like it or not it is a depressant, we will be slower to process, even if fractionally.

As I age I know my reflexes aren't what they were at 30. I don't need anything else to assist that.

I'm riding smarter the longer I go. But then I read about a Don or a Scar. It keeps my chyt humble. No amount of skill I have is close to the skill they had. And instantly it happened to them.

So it also contributed to my shift to a big and slow ride in the Goldwing. I got more mass to protect me. 90 MPH has a lot more chyt going on on the Wing. It's noisy wind wise. It not as slick in the air so you also feel speed more.

And I could still be a fatality next week. It's just inherent to what we choose to do for our therapy. I've also learned I can see a lot more things when I'm sprawled out with a windscreen that has its very own zip code in front of me. And doing double digits cruise instead of triple digit cruise.

And don't get me started on how much more friendly my insurance company is insuring my Wing. Not that my Busa was outrageous. But I thought they made a mistake when I paid my premium. So the insurance industry knows the difference too.

Last edited:
View attachment 1679215
View attachment 1679216
Is it because there were less motorcycles on the road due to Covid perhaps?

Back