Integrated tail light - How to??

Danno$$

Registered
I have a 07 stock busa. Stock rear fender and tail light (its not attractive). Iv considered the integrated led taillight/signal from ebay, then chopping the factory fender and turns. I took my cowl off the back and it looks really difficult to do this.(hard to get to) Does anyone have pics/vids/advise or anything to help assist in this procedure.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-07-SUZUKI-1300-HAYABUSA-600-750-LED-TAIL-LIGHT-06_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35598QQihZ
023QQitemZ360018653766QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....meZWDVW</a>

The first time I removed the rear tailsection it took me 30 minutes. Now i can do it dang near blindfolded in 5. The plastic rivets are removed by using a small allen wrench ( you'll have one out already) and pressing the center in 1/4 inch until you hear or feel a click. they can then be removed with your fingernails. Remove those 6 plastic rivets first. Take out the two stainless fairing bolts that are at your knees when riding. Take off the seat by removing the two allen head bolts and lifting it up in the front and towards the instrument cluster. You'll see two plastic rivets holding the right and left sides of the tailsection together right below where the crack of your azz usually is. Remove them and pull out the patch piece. Grab your wrench and take out the 4 bolts holding on the grab rail. Using your allen wrench remove the two frankenstein bolts that go thru the tailsection behind your hips. Grab your phillips screwdriver and take out the two screws inside the rubber grommets holding the tailsection down right above the frankenstein bolts. I simply remove the cable from the puller to free up the key release. You can take it all out if you desire. Gently pull the tailsection apart up and back off of the frame work. If you are taking it off completely you can separate the wires as you need.
It took me longer to type it than it does to do it

Instralling the light isn't that hard but make sure the kit comes with an inline resistor so your flash rate is stock. Without it the lights will flash so quickly it will appear as if they do not work.

That UFO tail light kit looks much better than the Clear Alternatives version!
thumb_up.gif

I have a euro tail so i really dont know but i would imagine what you are trying to insall is pretty simple,just removing the sled and urnsignals....a dremmel will take care of that

undertail.jpg

As far as I remember there's only a few screws and a bunch of push pins.. Once you get that off you just disconnect the wires and take off the stocker.. Do that process in reverse with the aftermarket tail light

Modding the undertail is a little more difficult but I would take the undertail off same time as the rear fairing so you can put everything back together at the same time

To install a clear alternative integrated tail light, you don't have to remove the tail section.  Just unscrew the two screws that hold the cover on, disconnect the wires for the tail light, connect them to the clear alternative pig tail.  For the blinkers, I unbolted and cut the wires and soldered them to the corresponding turn wires on the clear alternative unit (usually a yellow wire for each side).  You can also use the resistor provided with the clear alternative unit to make sure the blinker rate is slow and not hyper fast.  The resistor goes from the blinker hot to ground, simulates the normal blinker lamp load.  

It took me about 45 mintues to do the one of the CBR today, and that one did require removing the tail fairing section.

Of course I have pictures of that one too...

BEFORE>...
DSC08829.jpg

AFTER>...
DSC08934.jpg

Back