I swore I would never ride one...

PolarKev

Registered
...and yet now I own one.

I fell in love with the Hayabusa 11 years ago, but I knew I wasn't responsible enough to ride one, let alone own one, so I rode a ninja 500R instead, and drooled over my roomie's family heirloom, a 99 Hayabusa he bought from his dad, who could no longer ride it.

Fast forward to the past month, and my roomie decided to sell it. I had always said if he ever sold it, I would be first in line to keep it in the family, so...

It needed a little work, new front tire, valve inspection/adjustment, throttle bodies synched, a few new plastic rivets, all squared away, now. Valve adjustments and synching were done with a lot of help from Jinkster's tutorials.

So, thanks for the help already, and in the future as well. I'm a pretty quiet lurker, so you won't see me around much, unless I have something to say.

Now, to make it mine...

IMG_0669.jpg

Thanks all! I'll try not to be a nuisance. I've taken it out a couple times, from freeway to stop and go downtown traffic, and it rides like a dream. I just have to remember if I twist my wrist too far, things will happen very quickly.

1999 rules. Check the fuel pump assembly carefully.

BB

I gave the fuel pump and the lines a good looking at while I was synching the throttle bodies, it all looked good. No kinking, and the hoses were nice and firm, no dry rot. But, given the age, and i'm sure that the hoses have never been replaced, doing so is on my list of things to do on a rainy afternoon when the tank is low on fuel.

I read your article on the secondary pump addition. While it's never had any issues i'm aware of, i'll keep it in mind should the need arise!

Thanks all! I'll try not to be a nuisance. I've taken it out a couple times, from freeway to stop and go downtown traffic, and it rides like a dream. I just have to remember if I twist my wrist too far, things will happen very quickly.

I gave the fuel pump and the lines a good looking at while I was synching the throttle bodies, it all looked good. No kinking, and the hoses were nice and firm, no dry rot. But, given the age, and i'm sure that the hoses have never been replaced, doing so is on my list of things to do on a rainy afternoon when the tank is low on fuel.

I read your article on the secondary pump addition. While it's never had any issues i'm aware of, i'll keep it in mind should the need arise!

Perhaps in Arizona where it is dry you wont have a problem with vapour lock but I doubt it when it hits 100 soon. Also when the tank gets very hot to the touch you can have the same issue in the fuel lines.

The replacing tank solution is overpriced and ridiculous option for 1999/2000.

Enjoy the ride.

BB

Back