I saw a Zx14 commercial last night

I went to an open house today at the dealer I bought my bike from. Suzuki was there with the 2012 model line for people to test drive. I asked one of the reps about a gen3 in the near future. He may be talking out of his butt, however from what he told me, Suzuki is still in the customer feedback stage of the new model. Trying to figure out how much current customers are willing to pay for more cubes and electronics such as abs and traction controll. From what he says the gen3 is still at least 2-3 years away.

Notice at the end.. The Most Powerful Bike Ever... Hayabusa still holds the FASTEST bike Ever.

lankeeyankee That is from 2006 .. That was a red 2006 ZX14R and it was the most powerfull bike at that time Vs a gen 1 busa that made 154 HP at the time ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people that buy the Hayabusa & ZX14R buy em for the speed and performance, so yes the selling point is
S P E E D!!!!!
Hate to burst your bubble but the ZX14R is the King Of Hyper Bikes. Accept it.
At this point in time no doubt the new 14 is the King :bowdown:
I own a 04LE busa and a turbo 06 14 and love them both for diff reasons. For getting to the curves in comfort and then tearing them up I always take the busa, it handles way better than the 14. For longer rides with more comfort, and lots of room for crazy speed and continous tire lofting the 14's my choice. I recently got to ride a new 14R, and I have to say it does a good job of combining the traits I like best about both my bikes. It feels weak compared to my turbo, but makes my busa feel weak :banghead: It handles good and is very very fast, and comfy ta boot. It'll take a helluva good machine from suzi to topple it......

Brett I don't remember seeing any Busa commercials on tv like now.
That was back then and this is now. Times have changed and the world revolves around ads now so I can understand that. It just struck me as odd as I think many zx customers don't care how fast it is in the 1/4.
I didn't care how fast my Busa was in the quarter nor did I buy it for the top speed.
I bought it because it appealed to me and I fit on it. Like my 97 Zx11 after purchase I then learned it will do bullet speed and tame dragons :)
But both were bought for reasons other than the highlights.
I dont remember any commercials either but the Busa was the Horsepower King for quite some time when opening up a magazine and reviewing the shootout results. 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed, etc...

I would agree that many ZX-14 customers arent terribly concerned about 1/4 mile performance but the fact still remains that its makn more HP then the Busa and going faster in stock form. Kawi is taking advantage of the marketing advantage of having the fastest bike out right now. ppl in general who either buy a Busa or the 14 by them cause they are fast not comfortable. although they may be both to some degree they are fast first and comfortable second.

for a big bike the Busa handles great but ppl dont buy a Busa cause they want a bike that handles better then the rest. most of us bought a Busa cause it was the fastest non-liter bike out there and looked great imo. and had great potiental. I bought it for the Turbo application and nothing else really. if I was gonna buy a bike and keep it relatively stock with just some basic bolt-ons id probably lean towards the 14. in fact I was gonna buy a 14 before I bought my Busa.

there both awesome bikes but lets not forget that yea there will be a Gen III out with a year or two but Kawi has a great platform and will only improve upon that just as slozuka:laugh: has done over the last decade or so. it would not surprise me to see a 14 makn 230 hp with just bolts ons in a year or so.

Notice at the end.. The Most Powerful Bike Ever... Hayabusa still holds the FASTEST bike Ever.

they dont say "The Most Powerbike Bike Ever". they say "Its OUR Most Powerful Bike Ever" but ur right the Busa is still the quickest and fastest bike out there and holds many LSR records. id be curious to see how far some ppl push the stock internals on the 14 with N20 or a Turbo kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of this and I don't think I've heard anything about the Kawi's extra displacement. Maybe I missed it, I don't know. For me, the Busa is a better bike. Gen 1 or 2. Personally, I don't like Kawi's. I don't like how they feel. That's just me. For me, if I was worried about Nit Picking and getting beat on our Public Roads by a 14R, I'd put a turbo on the Busa and end it. Let's also not forget about the Majority of the Riders that ride on our public roads. Most people Can Not ride either of these bikes to their Maximum Capacity. They don't have the Ability or the Balls! Conversations like this amuse me because I remember doing the same thing in the 80's going from my new 87' 750r ninja to a new 87' Honda 1000F Hurricane which was the fastest production bike in 87'. I believe the top end was 161. The speeds were different but the conversations were the same. Today It's Easy... All you have to do is Buy The Best Blank Canvas Available (A Gen. 2 Busa), Paint The Best Picture On It You Possibly Can (Install A Quality Turbo), AND YOUR DONE! Did I Mention To Learn How To Ride First!!:please::please::please:

As I often say " denial is the first step towards acceptance " . The new 14r is a better bike in terms of a complete package , period. The suzuki guys need a very good evolution if not a complete revolution of the gEN 2 to beat the kawasaki as it stands today. And frankly i dont see a market for suzuki to put in all that effort just to topple kawasaki looking at the current economic trend. I love my hayabusa and maybe will never sell it to own a kawasaki . But we can make all the noise and take digs but the bottom line is , hayabusa has only legacy to hold on to now , all other records have been bestowed upon the kawasaki.

@ black diamond busa - If the two said bikes are taken out of the showroom floor today ( 2012) and pitted against each other in any form of race be it 1/4 , 1/2 , 1/8 or maybe top speed runs ( both bikes have the same top speed ) i would believe ( though reluctantly ) that the kawasaki will come out on top. Both bikes being absolutely stock. I am talking about present scenario and not what the busa achieved in 99 or 2008 or any other year. I would be ecstatic if you could prove me wrong !

...what I found strange was the whole commercial was centered around a drag strip and the Kawis outright power and speed. It didn't say anything about it comfort or ride ability only that it was faster basically than anything else in a 1/4 mile? Whatever happened to 'Kawisaki, let the good times roll!'...

"comfort and ridability" people are not their target demo for the 14. they are choosing to go after the speed junkies...this an "X" world and the 14 is an "X" bike... theres nothing Xtreme about lettin the good times roll or that jingle lol.

Like I said stock bike records. The busa is still breaking records, last June Bill Warner. Sorry she's might not hold stock bike records any more but most people don't keep them stock for long anyways. Other records that the busa holds won't go down so easy. Let me see a 14r go 300mph:D Bill Warner becomes the first person to break 300 mph on a motorcycle - Top Speed
yes Bill is the fastest ....And he did it with some parts off a busa . Bill also has an old old Vmax that broke 200 in the standing mile ... I know for a fact that if Bill wanted to build a ZX14R like his Busa was built he would go 300+ on it .. One other thing you should know about land speed racing is the zx14 and the busa don't run in the same classes with stock motors .. The busa runs the 1350 class because it is under 1350 cc .. the ZX14 and the ZX14r both have to run in the 1650 class because it's 1352cc & now 1441cc .. It over the 1350 limit for the 1350 class .. The Gen 1 zx14 holds a few records at Maxton and the Salt flats ...

yes Bill is the fastest ....And he did it with some parts off a busa . Bill also has an old old Vmax that broke 200 in the standing mile ... I know for a fact that if Bill wanted to build a ZX14R like his Busa was built he would go 300+ on it .. One other thing you should know about land speed racing is the zx14 and the busa don't run in the same classes with stock motors .. The busa runs the 1350 class because it is under 1350 cc .. the ZX14 and the ZX14r both have to run in the 1650 class because it's 1352cc & now 1441cc .. It over the 1350 limit for the 1350 class .. The Gen 1 zx14 holds a few records at Maxton and the Salt flats ...

Do you know how much more money it would cost to build a zx-14 to that level than it would a busa? It is all because of the design on the zx-14 making it harder to build. Bill would never use the 14 because the busa is so much easier modified and cheaper.

Do you know how much more money it would cost to build a zx-14 to that level than it would a busa? It is all because of the design on the zx-14 making it harder to build. Bill would never use the 14 because the busa is so much easier modified and cheaper.
You have any idea how much money he spent on that busa ? TONS of cash .. Hours after hours in the wind tunnel building that bike body .. You put a well built tubro zx14 motor in that body he built and it will run the numbers .. Would bill do that ? No he doesn't need to, he allready is the first man to go over 300 on a bike ..

I understand the money he has put into it all I'm saying is the busa is still a force not to ignore. That all I'm saying. Its still breaking records.

2008 Ninja ZX-14 vs Suzuki Hayabusa - Motorcycle USA

Anyone who thinks otherwise need only be reminded that in 2005 John Noonan took a turbocharged Zook up to 256 mph on the famed Bonneville Salt Flats, making it the fastest conventional, non-streamlined motorcycle in the world.

just enough power to keep the Busa on its heels.

Peaking at 166.8 hp at 9600 rpm, the new Hayabusa mill enjoys an advantage of 5.1 ponies over the ZX-14, which registered 161.7 hp at 9200 rpm.
Torque saw the Kawi hold its mastery with 102 lb-ft at 7700 rpm, but the new Busa is right there at 101.4 lb-ft at 7200 rpm, 500 rpm quicker than the Ninja
Pinned in sixth gear until they hit the rev-limiter, we saw a top speed of 182 mph for the Suzuki and 185 mph for the Kawasaki.

In our best uncorrected runs the Suzuki just nipped the Kawasaki, running a 10.378 to the Ninja's 10.398

Trap speed was also marginal, with the Busa coming out on top 139.36 to 139.08 mph.

In almost every clean pass the Busa was faster in outright speed and that shows the Suzuki seems to have an edge.

"The ZX is easier for a novice to go fast on and have fun," explains Adam. "On the other hand, I believe an experienced rider who knows how to extort full performance out of a bike will have more fun on the Busa. I feel confident that given more time on both bikes, I would go faster and have a better time on the Busa."

"The Hayabusa motor just feels more-gnarly than the ZX," explains Hutch. "Both are fast, but its just got some rip-snorting power to it that makes it feel faster during roll-ons and general riding."

see I thought that the Kawi had added turbo crap and such to make it as fast as the busa. I still pick my busa over the Kawi any day hands down. You know what your riding when you ride the busa and the busa knows you. Ok I'm also bias cause honestly I've only sat on the Kawi never ridden it. I just like SUZUKI baby. just my two cents.

I understand the money he has put into it all I'm saying is the busa is still a force not to ignore. That all I'm saying. Its still breaking records.
I agree with you .. But the new zx14r will set records as time goes on .. The busa has been around since 99 and has tons of R&D over those years .. the zx14 Gen1 has 6 years of R&D and the new ZX14r has only a few months of R&D and has allready gone 201.76 with a stock motor at Ohio ... That 201.76 was with a female non pro LSR at the wheel on her second ever pass on the bike ..Chad Millholland still holds the production record at Maxton at 196.2 on a Gen 1 ZX14 ...

Back