I need to pick your brain - high rpm oil leak - almost deadly

Scotv66

Registered
Well took my B for it's first blast at over 9K rpm and at 79mph in a sweeper I got coated with oil as did the bike from nose to tail causing a two wheel slide but I managed to pull it back under me - long story 'short - we are both fine for the most part. oil is blasting out of the front of the engine under load I can't tell exactly where yet but it is either the top of the head or the top of the oil cooler - any thoughts????

crankcase vent may be pinched or restricted.. (provided this is not just a plain gasket issue or oil cooler lines) If the vent is clear, could be another more serious issue.. how many miles on bike?

first thought is a pinched breather line.. However at 600M, I would have that baby sitting at the dealer for a quick check.. I would not leave the bike however.. too many horror stories about the techs at most dealers..

(I would seriously consider having someone look at the bike that knows what they are looking at.. maybe a local member? where are you at?)

NoVA near Manassas - I am trying to get it in for warranty service but like you said - not to thrilled with them having my B-K to play with when I am not there - it was purchased at Coleman powersport - I am not sure of the quality of their tech's nor the restrictions from the management on the treatment of customer rides!

it does sound like a pinched breather line but i would get it in for service with that few miles on it

you are an hour away from .. (board sponsor and a first rate guy)

PM here and set up an appointment... you can not go wrong...

Last edited:
first thought is a pinched breather line.. However at 600M, I would have that baby sitting at the dealer for a quick check.. I would not leave the bike however.. too many horror stories about the techs at most dealers..

(I would seriously consider having someone look at the bike that knows what they are looking at.. maybe a local member? where are you at?)

Just for my education! Where is a hose located near the front of the bike to force oil on the front tire? I can't imagine that, especially at speed. I had a crack in my stator cover once that sent oil out like a mutha at speed! It was very thin line crack that looked like a scrap mark. JM2C!

Just for my education! Where is a hose located near the front of the bike to force oil on the front tire? I can't imagine that, especially at speed. I had a crack in my stator cover once that sent oil out like a mutha at speed! It was very thin line crack that looked like a scrap mark. JM2C!
The hose is not the leak, it would be the cause of a leak..

as pressures build, the crankcase is going to vent that the point of least resistance. In this case it could be the front valve cover gasket.. The B-King has a lot less stuff in the way of a leak like this and air turbulence could in fact get the oil forward of the leak at speed

Another issue could be an oil line, oil line seal etc.. The high RPM may have just overwhelmed the oil pressure relief valve and pumped up line pressures to a point were a loose line sprouted a leak..

Last edited:
The hose is not the leak, it would be the cause of a leak..

as pressures build, the crankcase is going to vent that the point of least resistance. In this case it could be the front valve cover gasket.. The B-King has a lot less stuff in the way of a leak like this and air turbulence could in fact get the oil forward of the leak at speed

Another issue could be an oil line, oil line seal etc.. The high RPM may have just overwhelmed the oil pressure relief valve and pumped up line pressures to a point were a loose line sprouted a leak..

Can you just squeeze the hoses to achieve the same release of oil?

Can you just squeeze the hoses to achieve the same release of oil?
hmmm could be... (being careful not to crush the line)

I do not know the operating pressures on the lines (oil cooler restriction etc) but if there is a damaged line or a loose fitting, that might make it jump out..

Also revving the motor to high RPMs sitting still would likely do the same thing.. (would never suggest this :whistle: )

If it is a crankcase pressure issue, revving probably would not work. A motor generates a lot more blowby under load than free revving..

(I would put a wrench to the fittings myself just to make sure they were tight. The rear brake line was loose on my bike new)

Did you change your oil and leave the old filter seal on by accident?

As far as if it could blow oil to the front - my front tire was so drenched in oil in less than a 10th mile from where we could see the oil started to leak - that the brake rotors puddled oil up in the rim while it sat on the shoulder of the road - the tires were drenched and solidly covered ---- talk about a puckering experience - I think I am still clinching a little

as pressures build, the crankcase is going to vent that the point of least resistance. In this case it could be the front valve cover gasket..

I had an 1100 Katana, and it did just this from the front valve cover gasket.
Just saying....
Hey good luck!
and
Welcome!

:welcome:

wingding - ok --- things that make you go Hummmmmmmmmm - could not removing the old oil filter seal hold for many miles and then pop under pressure - I dont know that I did but you got me thinking about it - now I want to leave work and see- --- at any given moment - I could be that stupid!!!

wingding - ok --- things that make you go Hummmmmmmmmm - could not removing the old oil filter seal hold for many miles and then pop under pressure - I dont know that I did but you got me thinking about it - now I want to leave work and see- --- at any given moment - I could be that stupid!!!

you would not be the first person to do this so don't feel bad if that's what it is! ;-)

I would love to say I am better than that - truth be told - I am a lucky idiot - I will check this out over lunch and get back to you

You wouldnt be the first, it happens bro.
oh the bugger is in the details... at least an easy fix.. I never even thought about the oil change that was supposed to be done at 600M... I guess it is something I never even think about after having done maybe several thousand of them over the years at the shop.. just a habit of looking at old filter to see seal and then to the crusher..

bad tech, bad! :)

Last edited:
Back