I feel like such an idiot

busabratt

Registered
Long story short...I was in a rush doing my oil change and stripped the threads on the pan at the drain plug. Called the dealer to order a new pan but they are on back order from Suzuki Canada. I have already spoken with a fabrication shop I deal with at work, and they said they can weld and re-tap it for me. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the welding/re-tapping or is there another route that I can possibly take? I have ordered a new pan but need a fix to get me through until the new pan arrives.
Thanks for any help/advice.

I know...I know...I have already beat myself up about it.

I did the same thing last month. I had a Time-sert installed and everything is hunky-dory now.

I know...I know...I have already beat myself up about it

:laugh:

If they know how to properly weld on aluminum, you should be fine.

And certainly the Time-sert is a good option, and a lot less work.

I would guess it would be an ok temp fix, that is if the shop is competent at MIG welding. You will definitely want to make sure the inside of the pan is clean and free of metal shavings and left over bits. You would then have a whole lot more
trouble to be worried about if those got into the lubricating system. Screw the dealer and order the pan through Justin @
Honda East, he is a site sponsor and will be able to hook you up proper.
Haste makes waste as my mother would say. Good luck. Post up pics of the welding work as I have never seen this done to an oil pan.

Thanks Josh!!
As suggested by Cheferman65, I posted the question to Justin @ Honda East. Fingers crossed he can help me out.
Thanks for everyone's help.
If I end up getting it welded, I will throw up some pics.

Open up ID of stripped threads and tap for helicoil. Reuse you oem drain plug.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

+1 helicoil, a shop will prop charge about $90-$100 or an hour of labor to install helicoil, or you can try it for yourself

Heli-Coil | HeliCoil Inserts | Helicoils Screw Thread Inserts | Helicoils | Emhart Teknologies

HeliCoil-header.jpg

Two good options I think beat out the welding option if you're ordering a new pan.

Heli-coils suck.Use a key sert as they wont come out and you drill the tabs and the key sert comes back out.What about a custom sheet metal pan??That would be cool.

this is a common thread on gsxr forums

my k4 busa leaks at the sump plug despite new sealing washer fitted at oil change.

ill have to remove the plug and add a little gasket seal to the thread as still leaking after torque setting reached.

i can see why people would wreck a thread if they had this issue as its easy to just give it a bit more and pop the thread on soft alloy .

this is a common thread on gsxr forums

my k4 busa leaks at the sump plug despite new sealing washer fitted at oil change.

ill have to remove the plug and add a little gasket seal to the thread as still leaking after torque setting reached.

i can see why people would wreck a thread if they had this issue as its easy to just give it a bit more and pop the thread on soft alloy .

get a rubber o ring

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I have ordered a new pan from Justin at Honda East and am just waiting on delivery.

Lesson learned on trying to do something quickly :banghead:

Thanks again!!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I have ordered a new pan from Justin at Honda East and am just waiting on delivery.

Lesson learned on trying to do something quickly :banghead:

Thanks again!!

Justin to the rescue again. He's a good guy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back