I drilled my stock pipes...

ThaDoubleJ

Registered
I did the Pull-the-ends-off-and-drill-the-baffles exhaust mod yesterday, just put three holes in each one to start, and now I have a bike that sounds like a George Jettson car. Great. I'm hoping drilling another set of three will help...???

Buy some slip ons, I got a stock can that had a hole and it sounded like shi$, so it but a screw in it to block it so that it sounded right again.

uhhhh not likely. It may get louder but the tone will be ugly. BUT as they say, Beauty is in the eye (or in this case Ear) of the beholder. If you like the new sound with the 6 holes, good on ya. It's your scoot and the only one that MUST be happy is you. On a good note, your throttle response off teh line will improve.
Should you decide you don't like your newly aquired aound, I can look to see if I still have the stock cans sitting around. Something is telling me I already sent them to somebody but if not, they are yours for the asking + the actual cost of shipping. Send me a PM if you need them.

I drilled holes in my stock cans from the tail pipe end. Just put a drill bit and stuck it down the can. One half inch hole on both sides. It didn't do much so I added 2 more holes. It was slightly louder and had a certain sound to it but it never sounded as good as an aftermarket pipe. You will be happy with aftermarket cans. I recommend the R22-Blings. They look awesome. And with removable inserts you can have it rumble or be quieter almost like stock. It definitely sounds deeper and louder. I have drilled holes in the baffle wall on just about all the bikes I've had and it does sound a little louder than stock and it definitely sounds louder on a cbr1k but an aftermarket pipe sounds way better.

I did 6 holes with my stock and cut the tip 1/4"
I thought it sounded good. Not as good as my R22's, but it was good enough for the moment

pop a couple more holes or start looking for some slip ons

Update, I drilled 3 more holes in each can, and made all the holes as big as I could before I ran outa room, and it still sounds like crap. My buddy rode behind me in his truck and was laughing at the noise I made as I disappeared down the road. I ordered a set of Yosh slip ons for now, my drilled pipes will be on ebay around the 18th of April.

I think the problem is you never cut the center pipe so the air can't get by. I have 9 holes on the input side 9 holes on the output all 1/2 inch and cut 1 inch off the center pipe on the output side and it sounds good.

Take the chrome caps off and ride it like that to see if it still has the funny sound.

(ThaDoubleJ @ Apr. 14 2007,23:48) Update, I drilled 3 more holes in each can, and made all the holes as big as I could before I ran outa room, and it still sounds like crap. My buddy rode behind me in his truck and was laughing at the noise I made as I disappeared down the road. I ordered a set of Yosh slip ons for now, my drilled pipes will be on ebay around the 18th of April.
LoL are you going to sell them as jetsons pipes.

dont put them on ebay, you will loose money by listing them.
do like the rest of us, put them in the garage , so when you upgrade to the
08-09 you can put them back on and sell the slipons.
the dealer want care if it sounds like george jetson's car.

I put 9 1/2" holes in mine AND cut back the inside pipe by about 1.25". That got rid of the kazoo sound..

I've got 3 holes drilled in each can and it sounds fine...or, I'm riding around and people think George Jetson just flew by 'em
laugh.gif

If you don't want to spend a lot, just look for another stock set on eBay and try something else or keep 'em stock...

I ran drilled stock cans for 2 years without a problem. I think they sound alot better than stock. I'm now going to a 4-2-1 full system.

What I did was drill the front end baffle plate with five 1/2" holes each (long drill bit) and then after removing the rear end beauty caps, drilled nine 1/2" holes in the rear baffle plate, three each between the screw posts. Masked and painted the ends with 1500 degree paint and reinstalled the screws. Doesn't look bad at all either.

The only possible performance difference I (think) I felt was a reduced back pressure feeling on hard decel at high revs. If I did in fact feel some difference, I like it. Not the usual lurch forward when down shifting like the very restrictive stockers seemed to do. Acceleration was not effected. Looooove the sound, really. Would like to hear it from another's perspective and not just from the seat but I really do like it. No pops or swooshie sound, just a nice deep throaty rumble.

I think if you can find a set of take offs in good condition or using your own, you can have a great sounding set of pipes for a fraction of the cost of any 'store bought' slip ons. I'd love to hear some others in a side by side comparo to see what differences in sound there actually is.

I cut out all the end cap stuff except the bolt bosses for the cover then used a long sawzall blade and cut the pipe off way down inside. It has a real low rumble and I have had comments from guys at work that said that Da** bike shook my car when you idled by. I had to remove my pair valve though because it started to back fire on deceleration. I like the sound but I sure would like the performance but I'll hav to wait till I can afford a set of pipes.

i drilled 9 1/2" holes on the outside with cap removed and not put back on... then i took a footlong 1/2" drill bit and drilled about 9 holes on the inside of the cans... cut the outer mid pipe the one the stock cans let the sound out of, flush with the end of the cans... mine sound great really agressive sound and you can feel the difference... the homies thought it was CAM'd when i showed up with the modded cans...

I tried the drilling method first, but was not satified. I then gutted the cans completely and welded in 3/4" perforated straight through glass packs, they are basicly race baffles now and sound great with more flow. Because of the time and fabrication involved I probably would not do it again.

Back