Huston....The pink is Disconnected....Beep

OB_DangerMouse

Registered
All you are doing is fooling the Busa into thinking it is in 1st gear all the time, so the Fuel mixture will not be richened to compensate for the Ramair at high speeds.

It's your funeral - show us a piccie of the holed pistons and burned valves when it happens - it'll make good viewing.

Montie:
obviously you did not read the "pink" wire under modifications on the H.Org home page (upper left of home page) ... for example, if you click The Hayabusa Owners Group, located at the bottom of the page, it will take yo to the home page.

if you are compelled to trust the seat of your pants rather than logic, be sensible enough to put an "on-off" switch in line ...

also, watch your gas mileage go way down ...

before you have the problems dangermouse stated, get your bike on the dyno and test it with and without, but be sure you have the pc-2 for any adjustments needed.

The letter that appears on the front end of this site from Suzuki was sent to me concerning USA bikes only. The suzuki rep that sent this to me could not comment on the effect of the wire on UK bikes because they are different.

Several people have told me they contacted UK tech support from Suzuki and got the go ahead to cut the wire on europe bikes. I have no confirmation personally from Suzuki on this so I can not confirm or deny.

I think it would be pretty simple to check the resistance across the wire in each of the 6 gears with the bike on and see if it changes as the gears change. If not it does something else maybe.

Don
roaddog

I disconnected the pink wire on my 99 UK model today and the increase in pull is brilliant. The response in gears 1-3 is instant and it is steady but hard. I dint cut the wire- if you push the white long clip on the side of the plug, it is possible to remove the pin from the plug cluster so that you can put it back in at any time.(saves chopping up your loom!!)
Many thanks to 'K' and Rotts as well as others who gave feedback.
Anyone with a UK bike can do this without damage, unlike the US bikes.
The Busa is now the Mad Busa :]

Dangermouse,
Tomorrow or friday I am taking my bike to Dynospeed Development in Chingford, Essex.
I spoke with a chap there on the phone who is also interested in my claims.
I intend to dyno test with and without the pink.
I have spoken to another chap who has seen a bulletin from suzuki UK regarding the pink wire on UK spec models.
I dont have anything in writing, which you may say is foolish, but I have spoken to a few people who have solved running problems on their machines by disconnecting the wire.(Again in the UK)
Because it is taking up a sixth gear map and not neutral it runs ritcher, which will not damage your engine. If indeed it does take up a first or neutral gear map then I can understand how it would cause substantial damage, due to pre-detonation (pinking) etc at high speeds(lack of fuel at higher volume of air)
Ill let you know the results of my tests.
Also I intend to measure the resistance in each gear through the pink wire. Apparently each individual gear gives a different resistance and it will be possibl to see which gear the icu will assume without the wire connected.
Obviously a higher gear (ie 6th) will trigger a map with more fuel, and no retardation of ignition.

Keep you informed.
Wheres Penfold??
Montie

Montie, Cheers for the reply - should be interesting.
At least you are prepared to back up your "seat of the pants" opinion with a few dyno runs - very wise.

Hope it all works out.

Are you running stock cans/exhaust? over rich mixtures can quickly destroy the cat, but as I do not think they are a legal requirement on a Bike dumping the exhaust should be Ok.

PS I killed Penfold for saying oo-eck too much! :)

montie;i was told by SUZUKI UK TO DISCONNECT THE PINK WIRE in july 1999.this was due to the running problems that i was encountering.They assured me and the mecanic over the phone that this would have no side effects.They did say that it would be filed that the wire had been disconnected?I have know done 7000 miles with it disconnected and it runs ace,i have reconnected the wire several times to see if the bike ran any different and it runs like a pile of crap.

Dangermouse, you obviously didnt read my posting.
You obviously live in the USA and are a bitter and twisted man because you dont reep the benefits that european models do. :]
I have a UK model and it has been confirmed that by disconnecting the pink, fools our models into thinking the bike is in 6th gear, hence actually richening the mix.
For your info.......no funeral coming here!!!

Greetings,
I think its retarded to assume there are any diffs. in the US and Europe bikes as far as wiring is concerned, If this was true, then the same exact bike would have to be built from the ground up in every country. Not gona happen. Only diffs between US and EUR. are emissions, and as for americans being upset about your pink wire,. lol thats a joke, I hope you apple 2 le computers over there can load this whole message -=x
Peace,
Ranger

Another difference in the Europe bikes and the USA models is a cool switch activated by the left thumb that flashes the headlights on bright for passing. IT is not an on off but a moment switch meaning the lights go on bright only while held down.

So there is one more difference. I was lucky enough to be in England last summer and met up with Z in London a fellow Hayabusa lister and a great guy with a cool red and black busa.

I am sure there are more but that is one that I know of.

Don
roaddog

Thanks veru much everyone for the info on this matter. Ill give you the resuls of the dyno and upload the graphs for people to see (If they want them)
Any further info always welcome.
Montie

Well Ranger,
You should do your homework before you comment, there is a difference in the setup of uk and us icu's
Confirmed from Suzuki UK. There is one report of Suzuki uk suggesting a customer disconnect his wire and then alter tps.
A bulletin went out to uk dealers explaining the difference between uk and us models.
Ive obviously hit a little nerve with you, dont worry, I wont report any of the extreme gains that my bike has made again, cause it obviously upsets a few of the Us public
:]
Peace Brother
LOL

Speaking of that switch that flashes the high beam.....can the US spec models be adapted for that? i.e. is the wiring in place for it and if so can I order a stock switch to make it happen?

Speaking of Z from the UK: He cut the pink wire long ago on his 99 and posted his findings on the Busa mailing list. He was also told the same by his local UK Suzuki dealer. They are *supposed* to be different than the US versions.

Montie are you telling me Suzuki spend Billions of Yen developing a new bike and then OK the cutting of a wire to the ECU?

Sounds dubious to me, can you publish any of your Suzuki sources I'd like to read it.

And yes I am in the UK.

Dangermouse,Dave P and Animal,
Im trying to get some kind of Hayabusa London Club up and running, for a few meets, ride outs etc this summer.
If you are interested email me montie.matt@virginnet.co.uk
Ive contacted a few others and it would be good if could get 10-20 Busas on a rideout.
Let me know if youre interested.
Montie

Back