how to install grips

The Oracle

Registered
Hey,

After my wreck at the track, I bought woodcraft clip-ons (which rock!) and new grips. I am about to install the grips and was wondering if anyone had any advice for making the installation easier.

Boil them?? A little soap on the inside of grips?? Use a hair-dryer??

Real-world experience counts here.

Thanks,
Rip

The best thing I ever used was hairspray. I remeber it from my early bmx ridin' years. They slide right on.

just did it yesterday...

0. Take bar-ends off. (Grab the whole thing and turn, don't try to unsrew the philips first. Loosen with the hand, then unscrew after she is loose...)

1. cut old grips off. Peel them off after you cut them... Only the clutch side appears to be glued.

2. I used lotion, but I am kind of liking the hairspray idea... Anyway, just lub lightly and she will slip on (maybe not that easily). Make sure you note which one is the specific throttle grip(new ones). Mine looked the same size when I took them out of the box, but sure enough, one was slightly bigger in diameter then the other. (I really don't like the glue idea because I would hate to ruin the throttle and frankly they don't seem to move around that much without glue.)

(Option): Some of stated that you should cut the plastic wedges off the throttle and possibly sand them down, then slip the new ones on... I was able to squeeze the new ones on without cutting, although it was tight. I would try that first, before I start cutting. Once you start cutting, you can't uncut.)

Cloud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1085010950 -->

Hairspray is the easiest if you don't have access to an aircompressor!

If you have a compressor, get the grip started and stick the blow plug in the hole at the end. The air will blow it up enough to slide right on.

Hairspray still works the best and locks it on when your done though.

Josh
blues.gif

Back