How to fine-tune throttle response?

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
I've been reading a really good book on high-performance riding by a racer/journalist named Nick Ienatsch called "Sport Riding Techniques".

One thing he talks a lot about is throttle control, especially as it affects turn-in and lean angle. For instance, as you approach a corner you go to zero throttle as you brake, part-throttle to maintain the lean angle, and increase throttle smoothly to accelerate out of the corner, standing the bike up in the process. Good stuff.

My question is-can you adjust anything so the Busa throttle doesn't come on so abruptly, letting you smoothly transition into throttle in a corner in a manner that doesn't affect the stability dynamics of the bike?

My throttle feels like instead of going sequentially from 0 to 100%, it's more like 0-10% skipping 1-9, then 10-100%.

This make sense to anyone? Is it fixable, or just a characteristic of Busadom you have to adjust to?
rock.gif

The infamous TRE helps a bit in that area, but I'd recommend a custom map with it plugged in, as it may be a bit rich otherwise.

(Red05 @ May 28 2007,02:38) The infamous TRE helps a bit in that area, but I'd recommend a custom map with it plugged in, as it may be a bit rich otherwise.
+ 1 and or a power commander.

(nitrousjunkie @ May 27 2007,12:41)
(Red05 @ May 28 2007,02:38) The infamous TRE helps a bit in that area, but I'd recommend a custom map with it plugged in, as it may be a bit rich otherwise.
+ 1 and or a power commander.
I've found that PC really help or cured (or at least help control it) that on/off jerky throttle. It really cured my TL1000R and really helped my Duc's  
wink.gif
. My TLR was really bad at a point where it went (at about 2000 rpms) from just coming on the power, to Wooooooooo too much power all at once. The PC really smoothed it out  
beerchug.gif

I have that book also. Good general riding techniques. He even says do not use your throttle as an on-off switch rather rheostat(?) to control the bike.

What you are using in the tunrs he calls maintainence throttle.

I am no riding expert by far, but this book has given me real world pointers.

(Red05 @ May 27 2007,12:38) The infamous TRE helps a bit in that area, but I'd recommend a custom map with it plugged in, as it may be a bit rich otherwise.
What's a TRE
rock.gif

An oldie but a goodie
smile.gif

How many miles do you have on your bike?

I noticed the same thing at first, but it has pretty much gone away as I've ridden (I've still only got 7200 miles). I also lifted the tank and lubed the cable with Teflon spray.

I can now control the throttle squeezing it between my thumb and palm while covering the front brake in traffic with the rest of my fingers with none of the abruptness that it had when new.

wink.gif

(drumminman @ May 28 2007,09:36) How many miles do you have on your bike?

I noticed the same thing at first, but it has pretty much gone away as I've ridden (I've still only got 7200 miles). I also lifted the tank and lubed the cable with Teflon spray.

I can now control the throttle squeezing it between my thumb and palm while covering the front brake in traffic with the rest of my fingers with none of the abruptness that it had when new.

wink.gif
I'm at 9200- the Teflon spray sounds like a good idea.

I love that book. I got that book before I even got the Hayabusa so I realize it is much easier on a "lesser" bike.

I do know however that it can and does apply to your Hayabusa as well. I go over a lot of his tips and tricks on a daily basis to improve my riding skills. The throttle part is somewhat harder due to it being so sensitive but it can be done.

(Shibumi @ May 27 2007,12:27) This make sense to anyone? Is it fixable, or just a characteristic of Busadom you have to adjust to?  
rock.gif
Good thread..........I don't care for the "jerk" either.

It's been explained to me as a problem of electronic fuel injection. At full close the FI is "off", slight roll turns it back on and results in the abrupt power delivery.

It's kinda difficult to keep from shutting it off, but I'm getting better.

Another tip that I use for normal riding even when I'm leaning in heavy is to use 1 gear higher and maintain a consistant throttle through the turn.
A lower RPM help take the "jerk" away.
Unless you're at the track or keeping up with an agressive group and need to stay in that high RPM power range to come out of turns. But for everyday average use....keep the RPM's low. Saves on fuel too.

(Luvanicebum @ May 29 2007,01:13) Another tip that I use for normal riding even when I'm leaning in heavy is to use 1 gear higher and maintain a consistant throttle through the turn.
A lower RPM help take the "jerk" away.  
Unless you're at the track or keeping up with an agressive group and need to stay in that high RPM power range to come out of turns.  But for everyday average use....keep the RPM's low.   Saves on fuel too.
this method is great for riding in the rain !!!

Back