How to DYNO

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Found a local guy with a bike Dyno: 3 pulls for $35.
I've heard:
use really good tires [mine are a month away from needing replaced]
use 3rd or 4th gear - um so which is it?
what if he has no fans for ram air?
what weirdness do I look out for? Like: how to strap the handle bars? Should I remove the air filter once for kicks?
Can you give me a good website so I don't keep asking these questions?

I have heard just the opposite regarding tires Bro, Don't make dyno runs on fresh rubber because the roller is pretty rough on rubber. The fans are usually in place to provide a little cooling air to the motor, not for Ram Air... Finally, if the guy or Gal operating the Dyno is offering 3 runs for $35 then your prolly not going to be getting really detailed precision runs, but you will probably get a good accurate number when you take the averages of the three...

Oh as for which gear??? I dunno, But hopefully the owner of the dyno will have some experiance and will be able to square you on this as well as safely strapping down your ride.

greg give up the info.. the closest one to me is I think is cedar rapids...

If He's only doing 3 pulls make sure that your bike is at opperating temp when he starts. 4th gear. Most operators won't run a bald tire cause you will get some slippage. make sure that your pressure is right and have him strap the back.

greg give up the info.. the closest one to me is I think is cedar rapids...
fstbusa, got the info from a friend of a friend of a friend who rides Harley's. This guys is a Harley mechanic and a fairly good one from what I heard, but he isn't setup to work on our styles. BUT his dyno works just fine.
smile.gif
My jaw dropped when I heard he had a dyno! In TOWN even! Pays to network.
biggrin.gif

House of Horsepower inc. "PIGS CAN FLY"
2051 E. Euclid - Des Moines, IA 50317
shop 515-299-3003 mobile 515-707-6405

full service shop
dyno tuning
high performance upgrades
certified mechanics
parts sales - tires
emergency road service

m-f 9am-7pm sat 10am-4pm sun noon-4pm

checkem out! I am going in next teusday to do my stock busa. of course, I'll post the results.

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086785216 -->

hmmm maybe a saturday or sunday hook and I can come down and run ours and then go out for a ride

Make the pulls in 4th-gear!

I have heard good and bad about strapping the back down. I would try without in the back first and if you get any wheel spin then add straps.

Tire isn't that big of a deal, just make sure you check the air pressure(around 35psi.). The biggest thing is if you have a ET street tire(very sticky), then you will loose power.

As far as the fans, you won't be able to do much for the RAM AIR! Just make sure you have fans going into the fairings and watch the temperature gauge. Also make sure the bike is up to operating temperature. Your numbers will probably go up with every pull unless you strap it down after a 1-hour long ride.

You won't be able to take out the air filter unless you have a smooth box lid. The filter is glued inside the lid and you won't be able to take it off without having the airbox lid wide open.

Good luck and let us know how it runs.

I will guess it pulls 154 HP and 96 TQ!

Josh
cool.gif

Just to give yoou a little prospective;

You do not need many pulls but you would for maximum performance & mappinig. The average is at least 5-10 runs for a good tune, by a good tuner.

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'>4th Gear pulls</span>

Tires you ae running on the road are fine, if your tires are wore you should be chaging them anyway
wow.gif
DO NOT RUN WITH NEW TIRES CHANGED UNTIL AFTER A COUPLE OF HUNDRE MILES ON THEM.

Dyno should be fine if you ae under 190hp. Above that you would have to mch HP for some smaller Dynos.

Make sre you carry the run up to 10800 RPM on the Dyno that is 11,000RPM on the tach.

Fans to cool that bad boy since you are not moving. One are 2 pulls is not bad but if you are tunning you need the fans to keep cool. You can not do ram air on the Dyno.

Thanks you guys! GREAT info. No tuning will be done, this is just to see what it does on teh average.
smile.gif

Sounds good fstbusa! I'm in. I'm doing mine next tuesday

Back